Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... Last
    Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does Grappling Work in a Fight?

Two decades ago, the status quo of the martial arts world was irrevocably shattered by the debut of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. After Royce Gracie grappled his way through three opponents to win the inaugural title, the karate and kung-fu fighters of the world were left to ponder whether the three-strip camo belts they had all worked so hard to earn were really worth as much as they thought. Some traditionalists assimilated themselves into the BJJ Collective,while others chose to resist and deny grappling's effectiveness in a real fight and still trash the art to this day. Who is on the right side of the argument? Watch my video to find out:

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Facebook, please.

Pleeeeeeeeaaaasssseee.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet.

Did you get that bayonet from grandma's closet?

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "the notion that grappling isn't combat is a 21st century notion" (forgive me in advance if the quote is not exact)... I have pondered this concept off and on for a long time. I don't know if this attitude is exclusively western, but I think there is a lot of truth to the psychological block a lot of people have in considering grappling to be "real fighting". Hell, even in my own into post on this site, I stated that I have never really trained in any style, yet, I was a wrestler for 10 years.

And, furthermore, I remember the first real fight I ever got into in my life. I specifically remember being swung on, and dropping straight down and executing an ankle pick while my opponent flailed his arms in vain above my head. Once I had him down, it was"all about me", and he simply struggled as best he could while I proceeded to twist him up a bit and finally held him in a pin until he just gave up. Had I been more aggressive, I am sure that I could have beaten the holy hell out of him, and he wouldn't have been able to do a damn thing about it.

Lest anyone think I am trying to tell a cool story to illustrate the awesome superiority of grappling... I was 9 years old. It couldn't have possibly been that impressive.

The point is, even though I beat the kid without question, I didn't consider that "real fighting". There were no quick jabs, no roundhouse kicks, no snake hand strikes, no kiais, and in my mind (sometimes even now) that is how trained fighters respond. Yet, I have managed to wrestle my way out of quite a few scraps in my younger and stupider days, a few times causing some real pain to the other guy in the process, when the context of friendly sportsmanship had been removed, and what I learned for the mat was applied with violent intent and unrestrained anger.

In conclusion, aikido is some seriously ***** ****!

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Sweet.

Did you get that bayonet from grandma's closet?
    Yep, that's the one.

Style
    Kendo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only fights I got into, in high school, I won with judo. Or maybe it was wrestling: anyway, I ducked a punch and double-legged the guy into the dirt, both times. As this was the 70s, I got accused of cheating and not fighting like a man. So in one case, I let the guy up and did an instant replay. Grappling seemed to work fine.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Only fights I got into, in high school, I won with judo. Or maybe it was wrestling: anyway, I ducked a punch and double-legged the guy into the dirt, both times. As this was the 70s, I got accused of cheating and not fighting like a man. So in one case, I let the guy up and did an instant replay. Grappling seemed to work fine.
    Bullshit artist.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Only fights I got into, in high school, I won with judo. Or maybe it was wrestling: anyway, I ducked a punch and double-legged the guy into the dirt, both times.
    Since you used a double leg takedown, it was wrestling.

If you said that you did a morote gari, then it would have been judo.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Two decades ago, the status quo of the martial arts world was irrevocably shattered by the debut of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. After Royce Gracie grappled his way through three opponents to win the inaugural title, the karate and kung-fu fighters of the world were left to ponder whether the three-strip camo belts they had all worked so hard to earn were really worth as much as they thought. Some traditionalists assimilated themselves into the BJJ Collective,while others chose to resist and deny grappling's effectiveness in a real fight and still trash the art to this day. Who is on the right side of the argument? Watch my video to find out:

Gerard Goreau wasn't really a neo-Nazi was he? (@0:32).

I thought that was a lot of speculative bullshit based on circumstantial things.

Isn't he actually Jewish??

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ 2:43...LOL who is that guy. Where is that video from? I want to send him a singing telegram

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... Last