Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... Last
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Black Belt for kids

So apparently a BJJ instructor has indeed awarded kids black belts. Full story can be found here:
    http://www.bjjee.com/articles/bjj-in...r-black-belts/

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instructor's explanation:

Shaun Wilson Good morning everyone. I have read a lot of opinions and here is my (hopefully) last response. Yes Keith Jackson and I gave out two black belts to two kids that have been training with us for over 12years. YES we handed out the wrong belts (Our mistake). But this test was already happening and we were not going to just dismiss it. This was a 4 class test and the families were already involved. I do not regret giving them black belts but i do regret the type. As you see, I am not even wearing a BJJ belt. That is the belt that was promoted to me by Gary Burger at the BMAA and the style that i was taught that they have been training in for a long time. (also a Krav Maga Poster above my head and no comments lol) Now, since my martial arts has been questioned, here is one back at you. All of you who claim to teach Anti-Bullying please reflect on how you have acted on this thread. Whether you want to believe it or not, you are no better than the bullys themselves. Anyone of you could have contacted me or Keith Jackson and we could have easily have corrected this situation that has offended you. Believe me this was not our intent. But instead, lets try and rally everyone we know and have people attack people they dont even know. I guess this is the new era of anti-bullying? If that is the case, trust me i wish not to join in those ranks. Hell, if that is what it means then I will do away wiith any school patches or belts that represent anything other than what I teach. Also, if any of my students have chimed in in a retalitory fashion I appologize and will speak with them. This is not our way. For those of you that know me i wish you knew me a little bit better but I was wrong. Mike Johnson, I have always respected and appreciated what you have done. I would have thought and hoped you would have contacted me if this offended you. I truly thought we were friends. Mike Stewart said you were the one that got him started on this. If this is not the case, please contact me and I will apologize to you personally. thank you.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Well that clears things up, but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. When you see someone in a BJJ gi, with BJJ patches wearing a black belt with a red rank bar, that says BJJ black belt. Nor is he the first as the article I linked mentioned there is also Klay Pittman who gives junior black belts up to 7th degree in his school.

Personally I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Part of me thinks it's not a bad idea. Part of me thinks the kids would learn better things by waiting.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Yea..... but it's likely bullshit. He says that he gave out the wrong belts on accident.Those belts were embroidered with what looks like the kids name in gold lettering. He bought the wrong belts, and then had them embroidered wrong...... and then didn't notice until promotion day. While it is possible...... it doesn't seem likely. Especially with his anti-bullying speech in the explanation.
    If he took that sort of **** serious he would have cut the red patches off and explained to the kids what happened.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pulls the victim card...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Well that clears things up, but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. When you see someone in a BJJ gi, with BJJ patches wearing a black belt with a red rank bar, that says BJJ black belt. Nor is he the first as the article I linked mentioned there is also Klay Pittman who gives junior black belts up to 7th degree in his school.

Personally I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Part of me thinks it's not a bad idea. Part of me thinks the kids would learn better things by waiting.
    I don't like it. I think it cheats the meaning of the belt in bjj.
    Green belt is kids black belt.
    Now I am not sure I agree you should have to be 21 or so to be a black belt. There are gonna be some kids that should be getting them at 18.
    Training generally isn't able to be serious until about 10, any training before than is pretty irrelevant. If a kid trains religiously and hard from 10 to 18 they could become a monster and catch black belts on the regular. It's silly not to belt them to their level.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Now I am not sure I agree you should have to be 21 or so to be a black belt. There are gonna be some kids that should be getting them at 18.
    Training generally isn't able to be serious until about 10, any training before than is pretty irrelevant. If a kid trains religiously and hard from 10 to 18 they could become a monster and catch black belts on the regular. It's silly not to belt them to their level.
    I think you just hit on the key point. If a person is going to be awarded a black belt in a combat sport then that person should be able to hang with and occasionally catch or beat another black belt in the same sport.

That doesn't mean that said person is some Unstoppable fighting machine. Which is my impression of what many people think a black belt in a combat sport is.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well according to IBJJF standards, a kid could get a purple belt on their 16th birth day. Brown by the time they are 18, then black at 19. I get that a 14yr old kid can't hang with a 24yr old man. I'm not sure that a 17yr can't. In fact I would say that given that Kyle Snyder won the Pan Am gold(granted Freestyle wrestling) when he was but 18, clearly there are those that are that young and can perform to level. Depends on the person really.

You make an excellent point regarding kids belts. It's the mid to late teens I'm more ambivalent about.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Well according to IBJJF standards, a kid could get a purple belt on their 16th birth day. Brown by the time they are 18, then black at 19. I get that a 14yr old kid can't hang with a 24yr old man. I'm not sure that a 17yr can't. In fact I would say that given that Kyle Snyder won the Pan Am gold(granted Freestyle wrestling) when he was but 18, clearly there are those that are that young and can perform to level. Depends on the person really.

You make an excellent point regarding kids belts. It's the mid to late teens I'm more ambivalent about.
    I think we would best off leaving the age requirements where they are overall. Fucksticks would start giving 10 yearolds blackbelts if they were allowed.
    In the A.D. Pro brown and blacks compete together anyway. .

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we would best off leaving the age requirements where they are overall. Fucksticks would start giving 10 yearolds blackbelts if they were allowed.
    In the A.D. Pro brown and blacks compete together anyway. .
    You make a good point. Even the Kyle Snyders of the world are edge cases, certainly not the norm. Honestly if some 18yr old brown belt cleans up at ADCC, only thing he is going to lose out on is the ability to promote people. He can wait til he is 19 for that.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... Last