Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    I did. I guess I was looking for more granular insight on how these concepts apply specifically to martial arts instruction.

Are you supposing it would be different?
    BS member and BJJ BB William Murphy PhD has written some relevant material.

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/75-of-...the-age-of-12/

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Are you supposing it would be different?
    BS member and BJJ BB William Murphy PhD has written some relevant material.

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/75-of-...the-age-of-12/
    Not at all suggesting it would be different, just curious what it should look like in application (reread my last post. I added to it hoping to be more clear).

For instance, the linked article suggests that students of BJJ don't necessarily need to be learning chokes and joint locks. OK, I can accept that. So, what should a student of BJJ, under the age of 12, be learning? What should they NOT be learning? What methods should these kids be learning them through?

I posted the question with the hope of furthering discussion. Surely there are instructors on this forum who work with kids, and can speak to this from their personal experiences and perspective.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    . OK, I can accept that. So, what should a student of BJJ, under the age of 12, be learning?
    Throws, takedowns and rolling for position

What should they NOT be learning?
    How to crank joints and choke people silly.

What methods should these kids be learning them through?
    Drills and rolling.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Throws, takedowns and rolling for position

How to crank joints and choke people silly.

Drills and rolling.
    Now we're getting somewhere. So, along these lines, and since the OP specifically mentioned Kung Fu, what would appropriate Kung Fu instruction look like for a 6 year old?

Should they be walking on rice paper at that age, or is rice paper walking something that shouldn't even be introduced until black belt level?

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not at all suggesting it would be different, just curious what it should look like in application (reread my last post. I added to it hoping to be more clear).

For instance, the linked article suggests that students of BJJ don't necessarily need to be learning chokes and joint locks. OK, I can accept that. So, what should a student of BJJ, under the age of 12, be learning? What should they NOT be learning? What methods should these kids be learning them through?

I posted the question with the hope of furthering discussion. Surely there are instructors on this forum who work with kids, and can speak to this from their personal experiences and perspective.

12 is nearly a teenager so by then the curriculum should be more open; by the page I linked that's the beginning of the "train to train" phase.

"Under 12" is a pretty wide range.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now we're getting somewhere. So, along these lines, and since the OP specifically mentioned Kung Fu, what would appropriate Kung Fu instruction look like for a 6 year old?

Should they be walking on rice paper at that age, or is rice paper walking something that shouldn't even be introduced until black belt level?

Are you going to be facetious now?
    Go back to the article, for under 6
    From ages 0-6 years, children need to be introduced to unstructured active play that incorporates a variety of body movements. Children this age need to develop the ABCs of movement – Agility, Balance, Coordination and Speed.
    for 6-8/9
    During the FUNdamental stage (females 6-8, males 6-9), children should develop fundamental movement skills, including the ABCs of Agility, Balance, Coordination and Speed. Children should participate in a fun and challenging multi-sport environment.

Early elementary school age children need to participate in a variety of well-structured activities that develop basic skills. However, activities and programs need to maintain a focus on fun, and formal competition should only be minimally introduced.
    Why does that need translation for you?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Are you going to be facetious now?
    Go back to the article, for under 6

for 6-8/9

Why does that need translation for you?
    Yes, I am being facetious. It is possible to be serious without taking yourself too seriously.

I read the article, and I don't have a clue how to properly develop balance, coordination, agility or speed in the context of Kung Fu, nor do I have a clue what exercises would be counterproductive to it. I'm sure many lurkers are just as clueless as I.

It's called "discussion" and I assumed that is what these forums were for. If you aren't interested in the topic at hand, then don't participate.

Or you can continue to try to have an argument with me, which is not even relevant to the question of the OP, and that I am really not interested in having with you.

The problem with your pursuing the latter is from here forward, you will be arguing with yourself.

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah crap, is that why I am so terrible at teaching kids? I get too technical and expect too much discipline. I don't make it fun. Heh.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Ah crap, is that why I am so terrible at teaching kids? I get too technical and expect too much discipline. I don't make it fun. Heh.
    Are you terrible at teaching children, or simply terrible at teaching?

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I taught a kids' TKD class and both non-violent self-defense and anti-abduction courses for kids and teens when I was in my early 20s. IMO 6 year old children generally don't have the maturity, attention span, co-ordination, etc. to learn martial arts in any meaningful or practical sense. They can play games that serve as decent prep for later martial arts training, though.

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last