Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last

Style
    Tae Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Per Wikipedia...
    "Combato had its beginning in the Liverpool theatres with ju-jitsu demonstrations by traveling Japanese wrestlers, Yukio Tani and Taro Miyake. As a boy, Underwood idolized these experts, and rapidly established himself as a prodigy.

The name Defendo was created on August 15, 1945 in New York City by Underwood's daughter, Pat, when Underwood was a guest in the United States training U.S. Army Rangers and for the American FBI for use in unarmed combat. Underwood was frequently requested by American and Canadian Law Enforcement Agencies to teach his Combato system during World War II, but as the war had ended he refused on the basis that Combato was too aggressive. Underwood was asked to modify the system to remove its lethal applications and instead focus on the Law Enforcement applications of self-defense, compliance and control tactics. He realized that he could not call this system Combato, so his daughter Pat Underwood proposed that he call the system "Defendo"."

Holy hell, is there some kind of template floating around !?!? The more I research and investigate in an attempt to choose a style and dojo, the more repetitive these things get!

" BULLSHIT COMBAT SYSTEM was developed by BULLSHIT ARTIST after studying and identifying the deficiencies in WELL KNOW, ESTABLISHED TMA *optional* under ONE OR TWO OLD ASIAN GUYS WITH INPRONOUNCABLE NAMES WHO HAVE LONG SINCE DIED. Developed for, and taught to MILITARY SPECIAL OPERATIONS BRANCH (real or fictional), it was deemed TOO LETHAL, and was modified for civilian self-defense applications. Blah blah POLICE...blah blah FEDERAL AGENCIES...blah blah ..."
    Hahaha, that template sounds spot on! I've seen it used with several other martial arts too. And yeah, this whole demo looks very silly, but you never know, maybe there is a Defendo practitioner among us!

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzillarex View Post
    Hahaha, that template sounds spot on! I've seen it used with several other martial arts too. And yeah, this whole demo looks very silly, but you never know, maybe there is a Defendo practitioner among us!
    The only aspect that deviates from the norm here, is that the system doesn't have a cool or lethal sounding name. Epic fail on the part of Underwood for naming his system something as lame-ass as "Defendo". Everyone knows that all truly lethal systems that end in "do" are hyphenated. If this were the REAL deadly, he would have called it defen-do.

I doubt there are any practitioners left. They have probably all killed one another off just attempting to train and practice in this deadly art.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only aspect that deviates from the norm here, is that the system doesn't have a cool or lethal sounding name. Epic fail on the part of Underwood for naming his system something as lame-ass as "Defendo". Everyone knows that all truly lethal systems that end in "do" are hyphenated. If this were the REAL deadly, he would have called it defen-do.

I doubt there are any practitioners left. They have probably all killed one another off just attempting to train and practice in this deadly art.
    Your google-fu is weak, grasshopper...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Defendo ain't got **** on Offenso.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Defendo ain't got **** on Offenso.
    What about Combato?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Your google-fu is weak, grasshopper...
    My self-discipline and motivation are both weaker. I didn't want to invest too much energy or effort into Defendo.

Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also what about ViciDO

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzillarex View Post
    I was reading an article about effective martial arts techniques and "Defendo" along with this video came up in the comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPvbiy0eNzQ

Have you guys ever heard of this style? Is it legit? Actually effective?
    From the comments:

Really that sems harmless but my friend tarinf grav maga and he did me some moves and thats prety painfull.....
    That says it all.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Holy hell, is there some kind of template floating around !?!? The more I research and investigate in an attempt to choose a style and dojo, the more repetitive these things get!

" BULLSHIT COMBAT SYSTEM was developed by BULLSHIT ARTIST after studying and identifying the deficiencies in WELL KNOW, ESTABLISHED TMA *optional* under ONE OR TWO OLD ASIAN GUYS WITH INPRONOUNCABLE NAMES WHO HAVE LONG SINCE DIED."
    Their names are pronounced Yoo-kee-oh Tah-nee and Tah-roh Mee-yah-kae and they were both young men when Underwood us said to have met them. Both Tani and Miyake were pioneering challenge wrestlers - among the very first jujitsuka to travel outside Japan and to take on "all comers" as prize fighters, which they both did very successfully.

Style
    judo, parenting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I have a first level certificate in Defendo. I have always loved how the stories get "tampered" with. According to Underwood, he did learn the rudiments of jiu jitsu from Yukio Tani and Taro Miyake when he worked in the Liverpool music halls. Never saw anything that would claim him a prodigy.

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last