Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rule 1. You guys promise to pretend you care...

I finally decided to create an account and (maybe) participate in the lively discussions that you fine ladies and gentlemen have going on here, so here is my rambling, I-know-nothing, introductory post that I was promised everyone would pretend to care about.

I am seriously entertaining joining a dojo and beginning some marginally serious training. As far as style, I am really leaning towards Judo, and I have learned a lot on these forums, as well as the other resources that are now available to us courtesy of the information superhighway.

I'm a St. Louis, MO native. I'm 40 years old, which may not make me "old" in the grand scheme of things, but definitely makes me feel like I would be an old man in a young man's game. I have never been much of a "fighter" since the indiscriminate hellraising and testosterone toxicity of my youth, and am really just looking for a legit excuse to get my sedentary self up off of my couch, and learn something of true benefit in the process.

As far as background, I have been EXPOSED to martial arts my whole life, but never seriously trained. My grandfather was a WWII veteran stationed at Okinawa, and studied Shotokan Karate while he was there. He brought his black belt back with him, and did do some instruction over the years, even having a school at one point, but other than learning a few specific techniques, I never was officially trained in shotokan due to time, distance, and my parents lack of motivation to get me to wherever he was having classes.

I have always been fascinated with the theory, philosophy, and history of the fighting arts. Academically, I know a lot about many different styles, which I am objective enough to realize, means that ultimately I know jack ****!

I was a wrestler (little league through high school), dabbled in the Bujinkan for several months (the closest to real training I have ever done...flame away) in an attempt to find what I now know as koryu, and gave that up after I could no longer willfully suspend my own disbelief.

Here i sit, almost 20 years after that, wrapping up a rambling post that has already gone on way too long, divulging personal details to a bunch of strangers, and getting ready to wake up my youngest so that we can go to church.

After lurking in the shadows for quite a while here (see? my training in the Bujinkan was not totally useless - you guys never knew I was here! NINJA FTW!!!), Ihave come to really like the forums here.

Thanks for enduring my first post!

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site and yes, judo. Youngest included if potty trained.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the welcome. The inclination towards Judo is largely intellectual and rational.

I don't discount BJJ/MMA as a proven fighting style. I just tend to want to shy away from it out of concerns that I may end up in a dojo or gym that doesn't align with my own personal mindset and goals.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo or bjj. Pace yourself regardless.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being able to train in a positive environment while pacing myself is actually my biggest concern.

I have absolutely zero aspirations of being any sort of competition fighter. My goals are quite simple: train safely, learn earnestly, get physically active again, and just have fun.

I am not interested in any program where any one of those elements is missing.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Being able to train in a positive environment while pacing myself is actually my biggest concern.

I have absolutely zero aspirations of being any sort of competition fighter. My goals are quite simple: train safely, learn earnestly, get physically active again, and just have fun.

I am not interested in any program where any one of those elements is missing.
    Choose wisely then.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Choose wisely then.
    Any specific advice you would offer to help me make a wise choice, outside of what would be obvious, or has already been stated multiple times here in the forums and elsewhere?
    Last edited by GrouchyOldMan; 2/05/2017 4:23pm at . Reason: Additionally clarification of the question

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Self-deprecating humour, a realistic self assessment and paragraphs!

Welcome to the site lurky ninja!

Oh and if you (or your body more to the point) ever get tired of being hit with the planet then BJJ will be waiting for you, calmly and quietly luring you to lie down on the mats to gently take your back and pat you off to sleep with a firm but elegant choke.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Oh and if you (or your body more to the point) ever get tired of being hit with the planet then BJJ will be waiting for you, calmly and quietly luring you to lie down on the mats to gently take your back and pat you off to sleep with a firm but elegant choke.
    That sounds very similar to the style I currently study...the ancient oriental art of sofa-ryu. I bet there is enough cross over that I could probably just declare myself a black belt and move on.

Now, hitting people with the planet - that is the real deadly right there! I'm sure it would take a fair amount of chi to pull that off, so I better find the right instructor who understands cross-training between Chinese and Japanese styles. 220...221...whatever it takes!!