Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 10:37am

Style: Bad Parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat whatever I want, and I do HIIT one day and weight train another. Since I don't have too much time, I also stretch on off days.

$1.50

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: golf club jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KN Fool,

i'm about 160, started about 145 3 months ago. i had help from a couple of amature body building friends on what type of supplements to take. i suggest mixing a good workout with some supplements like Creatine and Glutamine. you can also take weight gain formula, but i find them useless for me because i probably don't pump enough weight.

my routine is simple, i try to do at least 3 sets of maximum weight in areas that I want to improve. i wouldn't do less than 8 reps per set. don't put more weight than your body can handle. while my muscles are being rebuilt, in between days i go to the dojo to train. it'll take 48 hours or more to rebuild the muscles typically.

i watch my diet more carefully, taking in more proteins and less carbs. i also run/sprint during weekends to improve cardio. stretching during weekdays help very much. good stretches will not only help with flexibility but also promote strength building. in my case, since i'm working on splits, most of my leg muscles have grown in size and strength significantly.

finally, even though i'm pushing hard with the diet, stretching, weights, and cardio/karate, my body can only take so much. in the last 3 months i had encounter 1 back spasm during the beginning and since back muscles have been improving and knees had gone weak a few times. those are the two sure places to go quick if you don't have the right strength in right places.

lastly, my weight gain plan is leveling off a bit, stablizing between 157 to 160 lbs though my target is 170. i feel my bones need some time to build up; it seems that my body needs a little adjustment. some basic metrics like number of pushes and situps i can do tells me though i'm getting stronger and bigger, it's not proportional, so i'm taking it easy to get into the shape i was in lighter--proportionally speaking...

i'm not an expert by a long shot, but i hope what i'm doing might help you with some insights.

good luck!
    zenbert
    Hold me... :3some:

I love MA. Unlike many things in life, you get what you put in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 6:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SAFTA4Life - Sorry I didn't exactly word that correctly. I know you can't turn fat into muscle, but you knew what I was trying to say.

Matthius100 - Unfortunately I'm always hungry, and I live with my dad and brother who are both overweight and have a lot of crappy food around the house, so most of the time I just hold back from pigging out in my kitchen cuz it's all junk. If I had a good selection of healthy food, I'd be eating all the time and probably have an easier time gaining the muscle I want.

Zenbert - I tired Creatine for about a month or two a couple years ago. It seemed to work, but I didn't like the idea of putting some weird **** in my body when I don't really know anything about it so I stopped. I do think I'll be able to handle weight training between my MA classes, but it's gonna take some getting used to, cuz right now I just do the classes and that's it, and that alone makes me pretty sore on the off days. I have class tomorrow so I'm gonna do that, and then the next day I'm gonna do some weight training and see how I feel the next day. Thanks for the tips.

Posted On:
    5/20/2004 12:28pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Sigh*

Your non-research into various aspects of nutrition is showing.
    But no matter, we are here to help.

*Group hug.*

Creatine is naturally found in your body, you also take creatine from meats, the highest concentration found in red meats. I indeed use creatine, but I'm not here to sell it, as there apparently are creatine non-responders. (Source, people on www.wannabebig.com )

"and that alone makes me pretty sore on the off days"
    Definately, take in a lot of good calories and stretch massage your body.
    It REALLY helps in stimulating blood flow around your body and helps me get much less sore faster.

Matthius100 - Everyday is a stretch day. I recommend right after exercise.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2004 4:19pm

Style: WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About Creatine, it's ok, just make sure you drink enough water.

But you already know that.

Here's a brain dump from thw ACSM on creatine:
    Creatine Supplementation
    Last edited by Tora; 5/20/2004 4:30pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12