Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So then I wonder how long before they let non-violent offenders buy guns.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    While your motivations are noble, statistics do not work in your favor. The vast majority of people with mental health issues are nonviolent. This is a pretty clear overreach of federal authority. Anytime the ACLU and NRA are in agreement, chances are pretty good that something messed up is happening. Bottom line: this regulation was going to get abused badly at some point. While it was not high on my personal priority list for 2A rights, I am glad it is gone.
    Unfortunately you can't assume someone is dangerous just because they are different...... even though there are tons of Krav/Mall Ninja dipshits I actually don't want to have guns..... it is their right to have them and I begrudgingly support their rights.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    So then I wonder how long before they let non-violent offenders buy guns.
    as long as that doesn't extend to sex offenders.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I don't have a problem with reformed ex cons owning firearms. What I have a problem with is our penal system. We spend all this money throwing people in jail (often for stupid reasons) and suck rancor dick at actually reforming them. Or keeping them out of society permanently if they are unwilling or unable to be reformed.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I don't have a problem with reformed ex cons owning firearms. What I have a problem with is our penal system. We spend all this money throwing people in jail (often for stupid reasons) and suck rancor dick at actually reforming them. Or keeping them out of society permanently if they are unwilling or unable to be reformed.
    two strike rule across the board for violent offenders. no more privatized jails, or at least some neutral 3rd party to provide oversight for rehab programs among other things.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Different states have different rules for who can legally possess firearms after being convicted of a felony (and doing all their time/parole/probation). Some I think are across the board banned, others, such as Idaho, have a list of offenses that permanently disqualify convicted felons from owning firearms.

Then there are Federal laws. For example, if you get convicted or plead guilty to misdemeanor domestic battery, you lose your gun rights at the federal level...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    xingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I was wondering when this thread would be started.

This is why the media cracks me up. The title is extremely misleading. As you did, many people ASSUME the rule applies to everyone. It does not. All of the old restrictions still apply concerning the mentally ill. This was put in at the tail end of the Obama Administration in December.

What they rolled back was this:

20 CFR Part 421
    [Docket No. SSA–2016–0011]
    RIN 0960–AH95
    Implementation of the NICS
    Improvement Amendments Act of 2007
    AGENCY
    :
    Social Security Administration.
    ACTION
    :
    Final rules.
    SUMMARY
    :
    These final rules implement
    provisions of the NICS Improvement
    Amendments Act of 2007 (NIAA) that
    require Federal agencies to provide
    relevant records to the Attorney General
    for inclusion in the National Instant
    Criminal Background Check System
    (NICS). Under these final rules, we will
    identify, on a prospective basis,
    individuals who receive Disability
    Insurance benefits under title II of the
    Social Security Act (Act) or
    Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    payments under title XVI of the Act and
    who also meet certain other criteria,
    including an award of benefits based on
    a finding that the individual’s mental
    impairment meets or medically equals
    the requirements of section 12.00 of the
    Listing of Impairments (Listings) and
    receipt of benefits through a
    representative payee. We will provide
    pertinent information about these
    individuals to the Attorney General on
    not less than a quarterly basis. As
    required by the NIAA, at the
    commencement of the adjudication
    process we will also notify individuals,
    both orally and in writing, of their
    possible Federal prohibition on
    possessing or receiving firearms,
    the
    consequences of such prohibition, the
    criminal penalties for violating the Gun
    Control Act, and the availability of relief
    from the prohibition on the receipt or
    possession of firearms imposed by
    Federal law. Finally, we also establish a
    program that permits individuals to
    request relief from the Federal firearms
    prohibitions based on our adjudication.
    These changes will allow us to fulfill
    responsibilities that we have under the
    NIAA.
    DATES
    :
    This final rule will be effective
    on January 18, 2017. However,
    compliance is not required until
    December 19, 2017.
    Just read the bold.

Basically,if you were getting Social Security you were affected. So, this sudden uproar of uninformed memes is hilarious. For me, it is set up in a way it could easily be abused. So, they did the right thing in striking it down.

Yeah, source:
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-201...2016-30407.pdf
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/03/2017 7:32pm at .

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    people forget the constitution was written before we had our current knowledge base of mental illnesses.
    Exactly. At the time the Constitution was drafted, it was incumbent upon the family of someone with (known) mental health issues to provide care for them AND obviously to keep firearms & sharp objects out of their reach.
    Almost every state refers to their prison system as either Department of Corrections OR Department of Criminal Justice. When it comes down to it, there is very little 'correction' to the behavior. Some make a Mickey Mouse effort to counsel inmates and to teach them vocational skills so that once they are released, they better understand how to make choices and have job skills. The percentage of inmates who take advantage of these programs as opposed to those who actually benefit from them is very small. Most inmates merely have to participate in the programs in order to get time off of their sentences. There is no real change.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Exactly. At the time the Constitution was drafted, it was incumbent upon the family of someone with (known) mental health issues to provide care for them AND obviously to keep firearms & sharp objects out of their reach.
    Almost every state refers to their prison system as either Department of Corrections OR Department of Criminal Justice. When it comes down to it, there is very little 'correction' to the behavior. Some make a Mickey Mouse effort to counsel inmates and to teach them vocational skills so that once they are released, they better understand how to make choices and have job skills. The percentage of inmates who take advantage of these programs as opposed to those who actually benefit from them is very small. Most inmates merely have to participate in the programs in order to get time off of their sentences. There is no real change.
    It is extremely difficult to change criminal thinking isn't it? People's brains basically get hardwired that way after years of criminal activity. Add and drug and or alcohol addiction in the percentages of success pretty low.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It is extremely difficult to change criminal thinking isn't it? People's brains basically get hardwired that way after years of criminal activity. Add and drug and or alcohol addiction in the percentages of success pretty low.
    Yeah, but it's also infinitely more difficult if you're aren't really trying in the first place. How can someone really get rehabilitated in an animal cage with other criminals?? Let's face it we dispose of people we don't want to actually deal with. But either way I don't see a problem with restoring gun rights for people whose only crime was having a bag of weed.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last