Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    What is this Technique ?

    One of my judo students ends up frequently in the position you will see against a turtled opponent. We worked on it for a bit, and this is the "technique" I was trying to remember how to do. I got part of it, and a variation, need some more details (video reference would be great).

    We ended up calling it a "reverse seat belt" position, for lack of better term.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Go to about :20 in this video for a reference. Thanks to Pshipdestroyer for the inadvertent help.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #2
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,137
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of looks like a sprawl with the arm placement suggesting a set-up for an anaconda choke. But I'm an idiot so don't listen to me.

  3. #3
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Kind of looks like a sprawl with the arm placement suggesting a set-up for an anaconda choke. But I'm an idiot so don't listen to me.
    This is a serious forum, JNP will personally ground and pound anybody who acts up here. Or maybe it's Plasma now, who knows.

    I thought maybe Anaconda or some similar head and arm type of choke. At one point, we were working pretty hard on the anaconda, and one of my students (this was a few years ago) almost pulled it off a few times in competition.

    I may show it to my BJJ coach and see what he thinks.

    We are finding that taking the back with seat belt grip is totally unexpected by judoka at this time. It's so versatile, but the reverse or front position, which happens frequently, is a bit different.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #4
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,137
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    This is a serious forum, JNP will personally ground and pound anybody who acts up here. Or maybe it's Plasma now, who knows.

    I thought maybe Anaconda or some similar head and arm type of choke. At one point, we were working pretty hard on the anaconda, and one of my students (this was a few years ago) almost pulled it off a few times in competition.

    I may show it to my BJJ coach and see what he thinks.

    We are finding that taking the back with seat belt grip is totally unexpected by judoka at this time. It's so versatile, but the reverse or front position, which happens frequently, is a bit different.
    If he ends up there a lot I would seriously recommend trying to get him to learn how to do a d'arce choke. being able to threaten an anaconda or a d'arce from that position depending on where arms end up is a nasty combo.

  5. #5
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    If he ends up there a lot I would seriously recommend trying to get him to learn how to do a d'arce choke. being able to threaten an anaconda or a d'arce from that position depending on where arms end up is a nasty combo.
    It's a she, LOL...

    In any case, I'll look up d'Arce as well.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #6
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    4,814
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like anaconda to me. There are variations depending on the setup.

  7. #7
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure he is choking the guy on bottom, the ref calls "osaekomi", though...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #8
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Looks like anaconda to me. There are variations depending on the setup.
    Yeah, it looks like instead of laying on his side, he keeps going in order to get a pin...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #9
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,406
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It's a she, LOL...

    In any case, I'll look up d'Arce as well.
    You might find more gi variations under Brabo.

  10. #10
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    4,814
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yeah, it looks like instead of laying on his side, he keeps going in order to get a pin...
    Right, usually with anaconda you are just falling to the left or right side. Darce is very similar, but the fact that they end up in north/south upside down is what leads me to think it's anaconda and not Darce.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in