Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If you are good at controlling hands and arms; it's not a huge leap to control hands with things being held in them.
    That's the way I see it. Same goes for what is called tai sabaki, mai-ai, ri-ai (although the latter two DO vary due to reach of weapons and would require the specialized training) in Japanese.

Plus full contact/full speed/full resistance training...which is physical as well as a state of mind/being...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If you are good at controlling hands and arms; it's not a huge leap to control hands with things being held in them.
    Exactly this. Actually I would argue that it is a harder form of grappling. Normally when you roll you got two arms, two legs, and a neck you can work submissions on. Now try a roll where you have to gain control, maintain control and submit your opponent using their dominant arm. Oh look I just invented a weapons defense drill that you don't even need rubber guns or knives to do. Though if I'm going to be honest I have to say I kinda borrowed that idea from Rickson Gracie. It is mentioned in the documentary "Choke" that he would go into rolls with the idea that he would only submit his opponent via one particular submission, like armbar on the right arm, and spend all of his time working toward that.

But hey, you can train weapons defense in your own rolls at your BJJ or Sambo club by doing a variant on the same thing. I would argue that said training would be miles better than anything you would get at most places that teach you the fancy slaps and weapon stripping.

Page 3 of 3 First 123