Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KM is a really mixed bag. You get some good KM instruction, and you get some bad KM instruction. If you are looking for the former some questions to ask are:
    1) When does live free sparring start?
    2) What other MAs has the instructor learned?
    3) What is their take on ground fighting and grappling?

I know a few MMA guys who basically fell into a KM gym and so are teaching more or less MMA under a KM banner. Then there are guys who stick to the traditional Lichtenfeld KM, and won't let you spar until you been training 2.5years. So it is a buyer beware type of thing.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    KM is a really mixed bag. You get some good KM instruction, and you get some bad KM instruction. If you are looking for the former some questions to ask are:

I know a few MMA guys who basically fell into a KM gym and so are teaching more or less MMA under a KM banner. Then there are guys who stick to the traditional Lichtenfeld KM, and won't let you spar until you been training 2.5years. So it is a buyer beware type of thing.
    I had a feeling you were going to say something like this. Although I bow to your experience of KM, I thought it would be better to just encourage the guy not to do it since most KM is pretty bad and I suspect you would need some prior experience to tell the good from the bad

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want the good Krav, train MMA, and then take a reputable self defense seminar or two to brush up on mindset, strategy, and the law.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Kung fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    I almost cheered when I read this,. Congrats, you've passed the first hurdle: not getting angry and defensive when people tell you to give up compliant training for the real thing. Good luck
    Honestly I just failed grading to black in a Mcdojo. The training was physically hard, but I got through it. Was more the theory which was a pain in the ass I lacked interest in it. It's not just that, I feel very unconfident using Kung Fu in any self defence situation and would most likely revert back to kickboxing.

Style
    Kung fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post

Hey man thanks for the reply. Yeah I have already put 1.5 years into kung fu which basically was a waste of time when it comes to fighting. Let me re word that I can box fairly well, and have good leg work skills - but I can't defend from takedowns, nor have I sparred with many people at all. I basically have spent most of my time on the heavy bag its and training drills.

I did manage to find a gym that teaches MMA, Sambo and MT. I have always had in interest in Sambo so I will definately look at KM when I Learn good ground skills. I am also looking at Eskrima on the weekends to protect myself from the Ka-bars ;)

Cheers.

Style
    Kung fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2senze View Post
    MMA and Muay Thai are both great. Jeet Kune Do is another one to consider, if that's to be found around you as well. Filipino Martial Arts (Kali/Escrima/Silat) too. JKD & FMA are often taught complimentarily.
    Thanks for your input!

Style
    Bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    I do not have direct knowledge about these schools but usually there is, in KM and similar RBSD systems, poor quality control; they are profiting on fear mongering and promoting a paranoid mindset in their students.

You can learn and practise basically the same techniques in a good MMA gym.

Welcome to Bullshido BTW.
    This guy nailed it.

A sport fighting school will make you alot fitter but also what i like to say is 'you cant substitute fighting without actually fighting'. I left km after 2 years, went back to boxing and started bjj. Fell in love with bjj and now look back on it and laugh (time lost, lesson learnt but its actually funny cos the stereotype is actually true).

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldpalmer16 View Post
    I have always had in interest in Sambo so I will definately look at KM when I Learn good ground skills. I am also looking at Eskrima on the weekends to protect myself from the Ka-bars ;)

Cheers.
    Save yourself some time and money and just do Sambo. If they teach the self-defense side of Combat Sambo it will likely be better than what you would learn in KM and it will be build around realistic sparring and pressure testing.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to me that even at Bullshido the sport-self-defense-'real fighting(tm)' trichotomy keeps getting perpetuated.

For example, from what I gather of Michael's posts on knife defense stuff, it looks like the primary thing you need to be good at (besides staying out of shitty places and situational awareness) is...]

grappling skills. And those grappling skills (and they will need to be good skills, not knife-defense specific) you are going to get how...

sport grappling... (Judo, BJJ, Sambo, wrestling)

Because you need to be a GOOD grappler, and you can get the volume of training and sparring doing sport grappling...

Then learn the knife-specific defenses you need.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It seems to me that even at Bullshido the sport-self-defense-'real fighting(tm)' trichotomy keeps getting perpetuated.

For example, from what I gather of Michael's posts on knife defense stuff, it looks like the primary thing you need to be good at (besides staying out of shitty places and situational awareness) is...]

grappling skills. And those grappling skills (and they will need to be good skills, not knife-defense specific) you are going to get how...

sport grappling... (Judo, BJJ, Sambo, wrestling)

Because you need to be a GOOD grappler, and you can get the volume of training and sparring doing sport grappling...

Then learn the knife-specific defenses you need.
    If you are good at controlling hands and arms; it's not a huge leap to control hands with things being held in them.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last