Page 16 of 19 First ... 61213141516171819 Last
  1. #151
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    No. But throwing objects at people, from bear bottles, to dirty diapers to food have consistently held up in Seattle's courts as expressing desire for mutual combat. Do you really think there is a 12 person jury anywhere in Seattle that would convict the guy? Or a prosecutor for that matter(elected position after all) dumb enough to try to convict?
    OK, so I found the Seattle ordinance that appears to be the "mutual combat" law. But if you search the code for "mutual combat", damned if I can find anything that uses that wording.

    Then I looked at Washington criminal code (RCW) http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=9A and can't find anything about mutual combat.

    Maybe you would have better luck?

    So, although the Seattle municipal code has an ordinance that does not mention "mutual combat", but seems to be interpreted to allow such under certain circumstances,

    punching a Nazi (neo or antique) other than in self -defense or defense of others, would be some from of assault under Washington State Criminal Code.

    So, in my neck of the woods, the crimes that get prosecuted are violations of Idaho Criminal Code. The city prosecutor can offer a plea bargain down to a municipal code if she wants and it's applicable (there is a "general misdemeanor" they use). But both the city and county PAs prosecute state code first. That's what cops charge people with...

    So, guy who punched a nazi apparently committed at least 4th degree assault (a gross misdemeanor in WA), regardless of whether or not it was OK under Seattle municipal code.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #152
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    See, that's the nature of your privilege right there bro.
    You see a "yellow" fruit.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #153
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Like bear shaped honey jars? Or bottles containing bears? Or baby bottles for baby bears? *

    *I have no room to be throwing any shade for literacy or typos
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #154
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    To be completely honest about it, the more patriotic side of me says, the First Amendment is sacrosanct, and is somewhat appalled that fellow Americans think that violence, as opposed to louder more rational voices, are the way to go.

    The Jew in my says shoot the fucker in the head, and everyone who thinks like him, and rid the world of a cancer.

    The more rational and less ideological side of me says, thank G-d in heaven that he was stupid enough to assault someone with a banana so that he could legitimately and legally be knocked out.

    Clearly I'm a very conflicted individual. My lefty wife and her lefty friends all tell me that, Nazis are where we should draw the line for free speech and just go about knocking them out whenever they pop up.
    What's the old sayin, first they came for the...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #155
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,275
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    OK, so I found the Seattle ordinance that appears to be the "mutual combat" law. But if you search the code for "mutual combat", damned if I can find anything that uses that wording.

    Then I looked at Washington criminal code (RCW) http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=9A and can't find anything about mutual combat.

    Maybe you would have better luck?

    So, although the Seattle municipal code has an ordinance that does not mention "mutual combat", but seems to be interpreted to allow such under certain circumstances,

    punching a Nazi (neo or antique) other than in self -defense or defense of others, would be some from of assault under Washington State Criminal Code.

    So, in my neck of the woods, the crimes that get prosecuted are violations of Idaho Criminal Code. The city prosecutor can offer a plea bargain down to a municipal code if she wants and it's applicable (there is a "general misdemeanor" they use). But both the city and county PAs prosecute state code first. That's what cops charge people with...

    So, guy who punched a nazi apparently committed at least 4th degree assault (a gross misdemeanor in WA), regardless of whether or not it was OK under Seattle municipal code.
    Here is the Kings County Bar Association article on it
    https://www.kcba.org/newsevents/barb...D=article1.htm

    I'm not a lawyer and don't want to pay their fees to see the entire article but it seems that WA state has pretty much rescinded its ban on mutual combat and leaves it up to the individual municipalities.

    Here is a news article in which the police spokesman breaks down Seattle's mutual combat law
    http://mynorthwest.com/32084/seattle...nes-fistfight/

    “This situation actually isn’t much different than a Friday or Saturday night outside nightclubs and you’ll have fights erupt” Sgt. Sean Whitcomb tells KING 5.
    Whitcomb says a rarely used city law allows fighting as long as both people agree to it, no bystanders are hurt, and no property is damaged.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

  6. #156
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Yeah. Technically you are supposed to wait for the cops to show up and have them ref the fight for you.

    Here is a video of a guy who used to post here in Bullshido doing exactly that when someone gave him racist grief in Seattle
    Well, I can't find that part of the ordinance. Maybe that's just the way the cops have decided to enforce it (maybe under direction of the city prosecutor?) ?.

    This is confusing to me, city criminal ordinance trumps WA state code ? That doesn't seem right to me.

    Gotta love the Internet...
    https://www.kcba.org/newsevents/barb...D=article1.htm well, crap you have to "log in"...

    I can't find anything in RCW that mentions mutual combat being legal in the state of Washington. You punch a nazi of any sort other than self defense, it's an criminal assault of some sort.

    There are some specific municipalities in WA that outlaw mutual combat explicitly.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  7. #157
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,275
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What's the old sayin, first they came for the...
    Yeah that's the thing. Who are the ones coming and what are the people who stand up to them doing about it.

    I'm fine with most failed ideologies, and people wanting to peaceably espouse them. Nazis, however, they had their day in the sun, and their "golden age" was a global nightmare. The only reason I'm conflicted is that FBI studies and other studies say 90% of the bone heads that get involved with this bullshit will grow out of it and regret their actions.

    Though if knocking some Nazi heads together will speed along the process of rethinking their life choices, I'm all for it.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

  8. #158
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Here is the Kings County Bar Association article on it
    https://www.kcba.org/newsevents/barb...D=article1.htm

    I'm not a lawyer and don't want to pay their fees to see the entire article but it seems that WA state has pretty much rescinded its ban on mutual combat and leaves it up to the individual municipalities.

    Here is a news article in which the police spokesman breaks down Seattle's mutual combat law
    http://mynorthwest.com/32084/seattle...nes-fistfight/
    Yeah, we were on the same track it appears.

    Did you find a reference to WA state rescinding mutual combat laws? Because I've been searching the RCW web site and can't find anything. I can't find any exceptions to the assault laws related to "mutual combat", either (affirmative defenses)...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #159
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Yeah that's the thing. Who are the ones coming and what are the people who stand up to them doing about it.

    I'm fine with most failed ideologies, and people wanting to peaceably espouse them. Nazis, however, they had their day in the sun, and their "golden age" was a global nightmare. The only reason I'm conflicted is that FBI studies and other studies say 90% of the bone heads that get involved with this bullshit will grow out of it and regret their actions.

    Though if knocking some Nazi heads together will speed along the process of rethinking their life choices, I'm all for it.
    I think they would best be ignored. Imagine if the idiot in Seattle had been ignored until he actually touched somebody, and THEN got his block knocked off, in self defense.

    Oh, and it's groups that feel/think they have a right to engage in extra-legal violence against others or their property with whom they disagree that are the ones (potentially) coming...

    regardless of which side of the political spectrum they may be.

    We live in the age of trolling, and nazi trolls should be ignored, and/or spoken out against (not calls for violence), ridiculed, shamed, if one desires BUT, trolls like attention.

    Kinda catch 22, case by case...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #160
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,275
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yeah, we were on the same track it appears.

    Did you find a reference to WA state rescinding mutual combat laws? Because I've been searching the RCW web site and can't find anything. I can't find any exceptions to the assault laws related to "mutual combat", either (affirmative defenses)...
    No. I can find lots of news articles saying that Washington is mutual combat. I just can't find anything in the criminal code itself.

    I have noted though that fighting and assault are separate charges. Not a lawyer so I don't know if that means anything or not.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Page 16 of 19 First ... 61213141516171819 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in