Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Ooh, I'm sorry - I meant that Trump is indeed crying about the leaks, which you suggested people weren't doing.
    No, I was really specific. I said they were not screaming treason. See edited post above for a better explanation.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the thing. I often wonder if Obama and Hillary would have attacked the emails and leaks aggressively, if she would have won the election. The leaks came out in roughly 2012(?) and they had 5 years to go on the attack. They didn't and let is slide. Trump road the BS hard and won the presidency. Is it hypocrisy for him to cry about leaks now? Of course and that is why I am highly entertained. I've been watching this type of political bullshit closing in on 30 years and have never seen so much hypocrisy and crying in my life. The last four months has been amazing watching a guy not being able to take what he dished out. Then I witnessed millions of protesters and rioters climb into the same boat.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My apologies, one might get that impression by your saying that "sadly, this isn't true" in as many words.

Good that you take it back, however, seeing as the notion of national guard (not MPs, national guard) doing policework is fucking stupid and should be obvious to anybody with a modicum of common sense.
    Take what back?

Military police are military, national guard units have MP units within them.

https://www.nationalguard.com/31b-military-police

Deploying national guard units, MP or otherwise does not mean imposition of martial law.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, got you confused with the other three-letter gentleman. Long day.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, got you confused with the other three-letter gentleman. Long day.
    I was wondering...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I'd been hoping to gain a better understanding about why some people continue to support Donald Trump. I found a Heritage Foundation page on "understanding Trumpism": http://www.heritage.org/understandingtrumpism

This is why so many libs need a slap.
    You could, you know, talk to them?
    You think it's better to study people like specimens of insects under glass or as vague ideas from afar, even when there are real, live ones communicating with you, right now?
    You think it's a concept, "Trumpism"?
    And that people all across the country figured all of this out, in secret from the community at large, and all agreed to turn the election or something?
    What a bunch of mental masturbation.

Hilariously though it's all Newt Gingrich lecturing on the topic. Newt Gingrich has sort of been a tragicomedic figure in public life. Do you think he's worth listening to in this case?
    You're the one bringing it here...

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    This is why so many libs need a slap.
    You could, you know, talk to them?
    You think it's better to study people like specimens of insects under glass or as vague ideas from afar, even when there are real, live ones communicating with you, right now?
    You think it's a concept, "Trumpism"?
    And that people all across the country figured all of this out, in secret from the community at large, and all agreed to turn the election or something?
    What a bunch of mental masturbation.

You're the one bringing it here...
    Talking to people would be best and I was hoping for a little bit of that here in this thread.

In general, though, political orientation tends to cluster geographically. Part of the "problem" is that lots of people realistically don't get the chance to have an in person conversation. (As opposed to a flame war on Facebook or something). For example, if a guy lives in New York City, it's highly unlikely he'd be able to discuss things with a Rust Belt guy.

You live in Hawai'i, don't you? Isn't that pretty much an ultra blue state? I might be wrong since I haven't been there in a long time, but I would imagine it would be tough to find a Trump supporter there to talk to.

EDIT: Heritage Foundation are arch-conservatives, not liberals. Almost by definition. They're pretty much the guys who have been drafting most of the ideological talking points for the Republican Party for a while now.

EDIT 2: National Review, a conservative publication, uses the term "Trumpism": http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...trong-military
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 2/17/2017 2:39pm at .
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talking to people would be best and I was hoping for a little bit of that here in this thread.
    Yet you seem willing to overlook what Devil and BKR are saying and go looking at articles that can do nothing but paint with a broad brush.

In general, though, political orientation tends to cluster geographically.
    So what?

Part of the "problem" is that lots of people realistically don't get the chance to have an in person conversation. (As opposed to a flame war on Facebook or something). For example, if a guy lives in New York City, it's highly unlikely he'd be able to discuss things with a Rust Belt guy.
    Bullshit.
    You're "talking" to a guy living in the most geographically isolated spot on the planet right now.

You live in Hawai'i, don't you? Isn't that pretty much an ultra blue state? I might be wrong since I haven't been there in a long time, but I would imagine it would be tough to find a Trump supporter there to talk to.
    Yes, yes, and no.
    In addition to the above, there are many people that I know that supported Trump and you would not be able to draw any conclusions about one from another based on one fucking vote.

EDIT: Heritage Foundation are arch-conservatives, not liberals. Almost by definition. They're pretty much the guys who have been drafting most of the ideological talking points for the Republican Party for a while now.

EDIT 2: National Review, a conservative publication, uses the term "Trumpism": http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...trong-military

Why do you think the partisanship matters to me?
    It does not.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Yet you seem willing to overlook what Devil and BKR are saying and go looking at articles that can do nothing but paint with a broad brush.

For whatever it's worth to you (or not), I have appreciated peoples' comments on here. Rather than overlook the comments, I've been very happy to read them.

In addition to reading these posts, I have also looked for articles on Trumpism from conservative sources (eg. Heritage Foundation) to try and further understand the topic.

Why do you think the partisanship matters to me?
    It does not.
    Simply because you were talking about slapping liberals just now. It implies that you see common traits as defined or suggested by political affiliation.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 2/17/2017 4:52pm at .
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For whatever it's worth to you (or not), I have appreciated peoples' comments on here. Rather than overlook the comments, I've been very happy to read them.
    You do not seem to be giving them much weight.
    No need to go searching for answers.
    Granted, that's simply my perception.

In addition to reading these posts, I have also looked for articles on Trumpism from conservative sources (eg. Heritage Foundation) to try and further understand the topic.
    I object to the reification.
    You're still acting as if it's true.

Simply because you were talking about slapping liberals just now. It implies that you see common traits as defined or suggested by political affiliation.
    It's the action *you* are committing, regardless of the sources cited, that I see self described liberals doing en masse with regards to Trump; as if it's some "thing" to be discussed and studied.
    I didn't mean to imply that's a partisan folly, but I don't see that many people on the winning side trying "figure it all out."
    Lots of slaps would be handed out if I had my way!