Page 4 of 4 First 1234
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aka-Tora View Post
    This.

In fact even good JKD does as such. A legit Jun Fan JKD place from the likes of Ted Wong etc still arguably places an unnecessary degree of focus on WC trapping and contains many of the lower percentage, crappy elements of said art. Hell, even a standard Inosanto influenced JKD concepts school, despite adding MT and Bjj aspects to the curriculum , has this problem. It's become an integral part of the JKD identity alongside the Jun Fan Kickboxing material.

The whole image of JKD to the public is, as a result, inherently tied to Bruce Lee and, by extension, WC. Therefore it is largely sold on that aspect- even those in the JKD community who are conscious of this fault ignore it because of tradition and, partly, income/marketing opportunities. This is why Matt Thornton's split from JKD concepts to form Functional JKD-before SBG became an MMA gym- was so controversial.

It is not that uncommon to find a solid JKD place, but there is an argument that, in a lot of cases, you will have to practice some crap to get to the good stuff. You aren't going to become a particularly well rounded grappler from it either.
    This is what I have always thought of JKD.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeet Kune Do is for pussies.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Betty White once said "why does everyone always call people a *****? let me tell you those things take a pounding!"

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    As Betty White once said "why does everyone always call people a *****? let me tell you those things take a pounding!"
    Yeah they're like a pig's nose they never wear out.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    I guess some of us just prefer to dish it out.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Tough to say. JKD Concepts is supposed to be taught that way. I think a lot of what people teach as JKD is better classified as Jun Fan G/Kung Fu. Following Lee's techniques, rather than the philosophy laid out in the Tao of JKD.
    Here's what I remember from my JKD Concepts days (2006 to 2010-ish):

- Boxing hands
    - Boxing footwork
    - Boxing bobbing and weaving
    - Muay Thai roundkick and push kick
    - Bruce Lee-style side kick and pendulum front kick to the groin
    - Attack high with the hands, attack low with the feet
    - Catching and parrying punches
    - Basic trapping (Pak Sao, Lop Sao, Jao Sao)
    - Muay Thai clinch
    - Muay Thai elbows and knees
    - Bruce Lee finger jab as a set-up
    - JKD Five Ways of Attack (SDA, ABC, HIA, PIA, ABD)
    - HUUUUUUGE focus on simultaneous defending and countering
    - Making your stronger hand the lead so it can get to your opponent faster

While there was sparring and physical conditioning among the students who took training a bit more seriously, the overall focus was self defense skill. If you wanted to compete in MMA, you would be given a ton of encouragement and training would be tweaked for that purpose, but it wasn't the main reason to be there.

There was also a separate "Hybrid Grappling" class. It was pretty much Wrestling and BJJ, but I didn't do a ton of grappling back then. I was more the "sprawl and brawl" type.

The idea was that you were given this stuff as sort of a basis to gauge what is and isn't bullshit. That way, “Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own," wasn't just the student playing guessing games. If you moved away and decided to join a new gym or if you trained with people from other schools, you knew what to look for and what to avoid.

I'd say by the time I moved from Indiana and California and joined a new gym, I pretty much dropped trapping. I also, based on my learning what's BS and what's not with JKD Concepts, changed my stance to resemble Bas Rutten. I liked his idea of making the jab as strong as a cross and I was already jabbing with my strong hand. That led to some crazy stiff jabs. I also liked his style of parrying to load up a counter and his way of "sitting" into a low kick to check it so I could throw a counterpunch at the same time. I also used my TKD experience to add high kicks back into what I was doing and to be able to make some good kick combinations that worked for me in hard sparring.

Also. I picked up a self defense ear slap somewhere. Probably got it from Ninjers, but I've seen it in some Gracie Self Defense stuff, too.

I don't know what JKD Concepts is like everywhere else, but that was my general experience with the training and I think it's the best interpretation of Bruce Lee's intent for a "style" that's constantly adapting to work better and drop what isn't working anymore. While you can get exactly that from MMA training, I did enjoy the self defense focus.
    Last edited by kendamu; 9/25/2017 5:11pm at .

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question: Does the "straight blast" basically just amount to walking forward and fag-spazzing with your arms?
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Question: Does the "straight blast" basically just amount to walking forward and fag-spazzing with your arms?
    Basically yes. It's suppose to be a move to overwhelm and create an opening for a strong hit. In reality I have never seen anyone use it to to effect against a human.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Hey, who got out the secret of my secret move?!?

Page 4 of 4 First 1234