Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last
  1. #11
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,620
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Oh, you noticed that too?
    '

    I'm sure it took him hours of careful analysis in slow motion to figure it out...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,251
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    '

    I'm sure it took him hours of careful analysis in slow motion to figure it out...
    This is why I'm of the opinion that other systems shouldn't try to teach Judo, and that includes BJJ.

  3. #13
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,620
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    This is why I'm of the opinion that other systems shouldn't try to teach Judo, and that includes BJJ.
    But then what would they use for submissions ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,251
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    But then what would they use for submissions ?
    Well, that's where things get sticky. For example when I teach SAMBO or Jiujitsu I never use the Judo names, and yes I'm getting that anal. I mean I shot a video stating I was doing osot gari and all the Judoka lost their fucking mind, while other competitors simply shrugged their shoulders and said "cool". They should simply say "shoulder throw" not seo nage, then we couldn't whine about it.

  5. #15
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,504
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    '

    I'm sure it took him hours of careful analysis in slow motion to figure it out...
    Merry Christmas for you too.

  6. #16
    solves problems with violence supporting member
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,114
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Well, that's where things get sticky. For example when I teach SAMBO or Jiujitsu I never use the Judo names, and yes I'm getting that anal. I mean I shot a video stating I was doing osot gari and all the Judoka lost their fucking mind, while other competitors simply shrugged their shoulders and said "cool". They should simply say "shoulder throw" not seo nage, then we couldn't whine about it.
    i like this approach. there are lots of shuai jiao techniques that *resemble* judo techniques, but they are different, with different principles. it bothers me when people say things like "this technique is called X in judo" because judo is more than just a collection of techniques, it's far more accurate to say "this resembles a technique in judo named X", although i'm sure some people would say i'm taking the whole thing far too seriously.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

  7. #17
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So has anyone told them that's a hip throw not ippon seio Nage yet?

  8. #18
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,620
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Well, that's where things get sticky. For example when I teach SAMBO or Jiujitsu I never use the Judo names, and yes I'm getting that anal. I mean I shot a video stating I was doing osot gari and all the Judoka lost their fucking mind, while other competitors simply shrugged their shoulders and said "cool". They should simply say "shoulder throw" not seo nage, then we couldn't whine about it.
    I guess so, people get all proprietary (not saying you do) about what comes from where and what it's called (Judo guys are often pretty bad that way) in what language. I've been known to go there myself...

    I have to differ, the guys in the video posted are not demonstrating the most efficient throwing process, regardless of what it's called. But maybe, that's what makes it Judo, if it's done correctly at least.

    Sometimes guys in my BJJ class will ask what the Japanese name for something is, for some reason. When I spew out Ude Hishigi Ude Gatame, or Ashi Sankaku Garami, my coach kinda rolls his eyes, LOl !

    I'm getting to the age where I don't really care anymore about names, although SOME Judo names imply important throwing principles that are important to know. Maybe...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #19
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,620
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Merry Christmas for you too.
    Your English to Gallego/Castellano sarcasm detector is apparently broken.

    Merry Christmas to you too, BTW.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #20
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,620
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i like this approach. there are lots of shuai jiao techniques that *resemble* judo techniques, but they are different, with different principles. it bothers me when people say things like "this technique is called X in judo" because judo is more than just a collection of techniques, it's far more accurate to say "this resembles a technique in judo named X", although i'm sure some people would say i'm taking the whole thing far too seriously.
    I agree. Even in Judo, especially in competition, you see techniques that are hard to clearly "classify" in the Judo theme.

    In those cases, I'll say something like "that resembles x-technique in Judo, or "is a mixture/blend of these x# of techniques" or "that is a variation of x technique".

    People often mistake entry method for the technique in Judo, even, GASP experienced judoka.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in