Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Oh, you noticed that too?
    '

I'm sure it took him hours of careful analysis in slow motion to figure it out...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    '

I'm sure it took him hours of careful analysis in slow motion to figure it out...
    This is why I'm of the opinion that other systems shouldn't try to teach Judo, and that includes BJJ.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why I'm of the opinion that other systems shouldn't try to teach Judo, and that includes BJJ.
    But then what would they use for submissions ?

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But then what would they use for submissions ?
    Well, that's where things get sticky. For example when I teach SAMBO or Jiujitsu I never use the Judo names, and yes I'm getting that anal. I mean I shot a video stating I was doing osot gari and all the Judoka lost their fucking mind, while other competitors simply shrugged their shoulders and said "cool". They should simply say "shoulder throw" not seo nage, then we couldn't whine about it.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    '

Merry Christmas for you too.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that's where things get sticky. For example when I teach SAMBO or Jiujitsu I never use the Judo names, and yes I'm getting that anal. I mean I shot a video stating I was doing osot gari and all the Judoka lost their fucking mind, while other competitors simply shrugged their shoulders and said "cool". They should simply say "shoulder throw" not seo nage, then we couldn't whine about it.
    i like this approach. there are lots of shuai jiao techniques that *resemble* judo techniques, but they are different, with different principles. it bothers me when people say things like "this technique is called X in judo" because judo is more than just a collection of techniques, it's far more accurate to say "this resembles a technique in judo named X", although i'm sure some people would say i'm taking the whole thing far too seriously.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So has anyone told them that's a hip throw not ippon seio Nage yet?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess so, people get all proprietary (not saying you do) about what comes from where and what it's called (Judo guys are often pretty bad that way) in what language. I've been known to go there myself...

I have to differ, the guys in the video posted are not demonstrating the most efficient throwing process, regardless of what it's called. But maybe, that's what makes it Judo, if it's done correctly at least.

Sometimes guys in my BJJ class will ask what the Japanese name for something is, for some reason. When I spew out Ude Hishigi Ude Gatame, or Ashi Sankaku Garami, my coach kinda rolls his eyes, LOl !

I'm getting to the age where I don't really care anymore about names, although SOME Judo names imply important throwing principles that are important to know. Maybe...

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Merry Christmas for you too.
    Your English to Gallego/Castellano sarcasm detector is apparently broken.

Merry Christmas to you too, BTW.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i like this approach. there are lots of shuai jiao techniques that *resemble* judo techniques, but they are different, with different principles. it bothers me when people say things like "this technique is called X in judo" because judo is more than just a collection of techniques, it's far more accurate to say "this resembles a technique in judo named X", although i'm sure some people would say i'm taking the whole thing far too seriously.
    I agree. Even in Judo, especially in competition, you see techniques that are hard to clearly "classify" in the Judo theme.

In those cases, I'll say something like "that resembles x-technique in Judo, or "is a mixture/blend of these x# of techniques" or "that is a variation of x technique".

People often mistake entry method for the technique in Judo, even, GASP experienced judoka.

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last