Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for resources for serious martial arts scam article

Hi guys. I'm a Taekwondo instructor who also is an attorney and runs a legal help site. This past week I've been helping a friend deal with a martial arts school problem which is very disturbing news to me. I don't want to say too much yet because the issue is currently ongoing. I've learned that it's not so simple to identify all the different games that are played, especially since many are fronted by ostensibly legitimate instructors. It compelled me to compile a list of martial arts frauds in order to formulate a defining article to help people avoid all sorts of martial arts school scams and identify them before signing on the dotted line.

Understanding I am at Bullshido, all are certainly familiar with the McDojo, questionable martial arts being taught, by questionable "certified" instructors, what "certification" can actually mean, the multiple belt system and more stripes than a tiger routine (which you pay to test), etc. There are also the fly by night schools with revolving door instructors. This is the type of list I'm trying to compile. To provide a little detail of what I discovered, there are schools trying to entice students to sign long term agreements. It's the usual song and dance routine about how Master Tofu has been practicing for 40 years, our school is built on trust, integrity, blah blah and we always work things out with our students, etc. But there are more variations than I imagined, some quite creative and so subtle that only a truly experienced person could identify what is really going on. Hoping you guys can help me compile a list so I don't leave out the most common scams.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sadan View Post
    Hi guys. I'm a Taekwondo instructor who also is an attorney and runs a legal help site. This past week I've been helping a friend deal with a martial arts school problem which is very disturbing news to me. I don't want to say too much yet because the issue is currently ongoing. I've learned that it's not so simple to identify all the different games that are played,
    There are as many games played as stars in the sky. The most common exchange is money and/or favors for martial arts lessons and insight.
    especially since many are fronted by ostensibly legitimate instructors. It compelled me to compile a list of martial arts frauds in order to formulate a defining article to help people avoid all sorts of martial arts school scams and identify them before signing on the dotted line.
    Fraud is a specific LEGAL term which only fits in a limited number of circumstances. You can be completely full of **** and not be a "fraud". I would think you would understand this and how odd your request seems to be framed in such a light.

Understanding I am at Bullshido, all are certainly familiar with the McDojo, questionable martial arts being taught, by questionable "certified" instructors, what "certification" can actually mean, the multiple belt system and more stripes than a tiger routine (which you pay to test), etc. There are also the fly by night schools with revolving door instructors. This is the type of list I'm trying to compile. To provide a little detail of what I discovered, there are schools trying to entice students to sign long term agreements. It's the usual song and dance routine about how Master Tofu has been practicing for 40 years, our school is built on trust, integrity, blah blah and we always work things out with our students, etc. But there are more variations than I imagined, some quite creative and so subtle that only a truly experienced person could identify what is really going on. Hoping you guys can help me compile a list so I don't leave out the most common scams.
    Let's see what you have and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XmasSpiritedAway View Post
    Fraud is a specific LEGAL term which only fits in a limited number of circumstances. You can be completely full of **** and not be a "fraud". I would think you would understand this and how odd your request seems to be framed in such a light.
    Let's see what you have and go from there.
    A more specific use of the term would be "fraudulent misrepresentation" and I don't think it is as limited as you believe. "Puffing" or mild exaggerations may not be fraud. I'll tell you where I'm going here with a little more specificity. I've noticed that several schools include the ability to sell the rights collect money under a martial arts agreement to another company should they decide. Others are taking this to a higher level. And I find it hard to believe that the average person understands what is going on, especially when even those involved in providing customer service seem to have difficulty describing their relationship accurately and adequately.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have boiled down the content of our completed investigations into presentation form at http://bullshido.org/Category:Investigations - it is, effectively, the list you are talking about.

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reference to the BS list. Well written and disappointing. Some of the names are familiar and their tales of greatness are notable. Even I only won 163 matches when I was fighting for money to afford necessities after serving in the war and left marooned abroad with nothing but my uniform and the dangerous hybrid martial art I created from studying every JCVD movie I could find, including commercials. I commend the work and effort that must have been exerted to expose some of the lesser names. Those in particularly might be more helpful. The list I'm compiling might be the generally accepted methods of rationalizing bad practices and focus primarily on the one I've discovered that goes mostly unmentioned because what is being done is very subtle but important. I'll ping you guys when it's done and likely add you to the list of resources.