Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Counterpoint to your football analogy: football doesn't try to sell itself as a martial art and the objective is to move a ball, not **** people up.
    Oh no, son. Some people join football specifically to **** people up, and they rarely if never get to touch the ball. I was one of them. I was a defensive tackle, and I touched the ball maybe twice, ever. My performance was measured in tackles and QB sacks (not yards, completions, carries, field goals, or anything else). Tackling is just another name for putting someone's ass on the ground WHILE they're resisting you. By definition, you are fucking people's day up.

    You should watch a good warts-and-all football movie, like "The Program", to understand just how rooted this practice is in high school, college, and professional football. Coaches always want players who are focused not on the ball, but crushing the opposing line and their various backs. Not too literally (it is just a sport after all). But damn, the most violent people I ever met were football players, and a lot of that is co-mingled with the epidemic of anabolic steroids (another theme "The Program" dealt with). Forget martial arts..
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 12/15/2016 5:11pm at .

  2. #32
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    4,874
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Did you actually fucking LOOK through the thread? The search function is notoriously crap here.

    Unless Nutcracker is using his mod power to delete posts and enhance the verisimilitude of his ruse...
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Also, can I really be banned for trolling you homos with a dupe account that doesn't even exist?

    This is a hypothetical question because RexKwonBlow3699 was real.
    I'm sure I can find something to fit, if you tempt me: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=336

  3. #33
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,142
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    Oh no, son. Some people join football specifically to **** people up, and they rarely if never get to touch the ball. I was one of them. I was a defensive tackle, and I touched the ball maybe twice, ever. My performance was measured in tackles, which is just another name for putting someone's ass on the ground WHILE they're resisting you.
    So linebacker? I understand generally how football works (and by that I mean I watch the superbowl every other year), but it generally bores the **** out of me.

  4. #34
    itwasntme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Norf Carolina, throw ya hands up
    Posts
    2,209
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    It does and it doesn't. Speaking of what Marcus Aurelio said, Renzo Gracie himself said something somewhat similar about BJJ. It's been a year, so his exact phrasing escapes me, but the jist of it was that he credited a good chunk of the rapid evolution of BJJ to the fact that Portuguese isn't as descriptive as English when someone asked him the name of a technique. He said that because most of their techniques didn't have a specific name they just fell under broad categories (like choke or armlock) and as such there was no "right" way to perform them so people were more free to innovate and try new things.

    Counterpoint to your football analogy: football doesn't try to sell itself as a martial art and the objective is to move a ball, not **** people up.

    Point in favor of your analogy: the football players I do know wrestled in the off season and I am pretty sure that the average college football player would beat the **** out of me in a fight.
    let's not move the goal posts. your point was that capoeira is effective cuz marcus aurelio (the young one), takedown entries, and physical aptitude. i could have argued jumping rope for hours on end would meet the same end (minus the takedown entries that there are numerous more effective arts that teach these and expand upon them).

    counterpoint for marcus: cuz statistics

    this should earn me bonus points due to appropriate thread context and OP's obliviousness, yes? i don't know how else i could compete with Bowel Moment.

  5. #35
    Holy Moment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    7,272
    Style
    Wrestling
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
    I'm sure I can find something to fit, if you tempt me: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=336
    https://youtu.be/BbOnzp_jvFA?t=162

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    So linebacker? I understand generally how football works (and by that I mean I watch the superbowl every other year), but it generally bores the **** out of me.
    Sort of. I was a DT and occasional nose guard (opposite the offensive center who snaps the ball to the QB). The linebackers are usually behind the defensive tackles and defensive ends. They're my wingmen. My job is to disrupt the inside running game at least, or whenever possible, invade the offensive line and stop the play prior to the line of scrimmage. If that's the QB still holding the ball, it's fangs out. Or as I liked to think of it, "fucking people up" because that's exactly what it feels like.

    This was in my youth though, and I'm paying for all that now in the form of tendonitis and generally feeling like a battered old fart, creaking bones and all. But it was a fun time, I miss football. Hopefully my noggin is OK, but I've never had a brain MRI. I'm kind of scared to, and I know that's a cowardly thing, but I've read too much crazy **** lately about dead ex-NFLers. I really hope my damage is limited to these aches and nothing concussion related (I never got one, as far as I know). Finding out I have a heavily bruised brain, and not being able to do much about it...would suck.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 12/15/2016 5:24pm at .

  7. #37
    Holy Moment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    7,272
    Style
    Wrestling
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    By real you mean you woodshopped, right? Like Pinocchio. He wants to be real, and only love can make him so.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

    I can make him real.

    Quote Originally Posted by RexKwonBlow3699
    Krav maga using moves from many different styles itself meaning it's a MMA style to but do to the rules Krav MAGA isn't affactive in a fight in the cage. All it's goals are removed to do lasting damage to your attacker.

  8. #38
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,616
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    So linebacker? I understand generally how football works (and by that I mean I watch the superbowl every other year), but it generally bores the **** out of me.
    It's not boring to play, and I played from grade school until 8th grade, at which point I was getting a bit on the small side physically. I had the right attitude, but topping out at 140 lbs or so wasn't going to allow me to survive very long...

    I fucked some kids up in 6th grade football, and I loved every minute of it. Forearms, blindside blocking and tackling, I actually knocked a couple of kids out.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It's not boring to play, and I played from grade school until 8th grade, at which point I was getting a bit on the small side physically. I had the right attitude, but topping out at 140 lbs or so wasn't going to allow me to survive very long...

    I fucked some kids up in 6th grade football, and I loved every minute of it. Forearms, blindside blocking and tackling, I actually knocked a couple of kids out.
    Yeah on the field is not like on TV. It's exhilarating, but it can get real scary and chaotic, too. I've been so confused by what the hell is going on in the middle of a play, the next thing I know the ball is now 30 yards behind me. It's probably the closest thing to experiencing combat a kid or teen can get before actually old enough to enlist. Several coaches and your QB barking orders at you, you're turning left to help a guy and BAM you're on your ass because two other guys drove you into the dirt to let a third run by you. NOOOOOOOO!

  10. #40
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,410
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I nominate this one:

    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    let's not move the goal posts. your point was that capoeira is effective cuz marcus aurelio (the young one), takedown entries, and physical aptitude. i could have argued jumping rope for hours on end would meet the same end (minus the takedown entries that there are numerous more effective arts that teach these and expand upon them).

    counterpoint for marcus: cuz statistics

    this should earn me bonus points due to appropriate thread context and OP's obliviousness, yes? i don't know how else i could compete with Bowel Moment.


    Lol, you dumb ****.

    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Capoeira is not as useless as some people may have you think. At minimum you learn some really neat acrobatics and seriously work on improving your general athleticism.

Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in