Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    86
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Welcome back Brinn.

    I'm sorry you are butt hurt because I put your bullshit system and style on blast. You are the definition of Bullshido...you had over 100 styles listed on your website that you were a "master" of...including Zulu stick fighting (if I recall correctly).

    Perhaps you should have thought about the consequences of using your website to market your school by bashing the local BJJ instructors, including mine...two Royce black belts.

    I've kept my mouth shut as you came back to see if you have learned anything since last time...but clearly you haven't.
    "Southpaw" I know you are a smart guy and I really have no issue with you, although after the personal attack on me and my faith and my system which you didn't even drive 10 minutes over to investigate for yourself I certainly have reason.

    However, If I had came across a website like that I would have been pissed too, which is why I came to Bullshido back in the day to let everyone that the guy who made, had control of and ultimately used to smear me --- that guy really didn't understand what he was doing. Rick Harper made that site from day one and he listed those styles, classes, etc. EVERYONE knows that. I once made the statement that everything on that site was correct and when I said that I was referring to the people I had trained with not all the other crap. That was my bad for not being more explicit about what I was saying.

    I have trained with Billy and Jason from back in the day just like I said I did then. Do you think, if I was the person you make me out to be on this site, that I would have shown up to Jason Goldsmiths's school alone one week after my spinal surgery to support Matt in his gong sao? You were there with your training partners, Gezere and the whole crew and me. I don't think some blowhard who didn't actually have the training or some ego hound would go somewhere like that.

    Anyway, we have mutual acquaintances. One of my students from MMACTC actually trains at your gym pretty often. He is a coach of mine now actually. We could meet and train and you could see that I am not who profess me to be if you want to. I will be at the MMA event on Jan 28th in Raleigh to support a good friend on mine in his match. I will likely get a table with some others. If you are interested come over and I will buy you a beer and maybe we can put all of this silly mistaken crap behind us?

    I am sure offline you are a decent dude and I am sorry for getting angry on here in the past and insulting you. I just wish you would have come down to MMACTC and met me before launching this whole thing.

    **Does your profile read wing chun? I trained a very short period of time with Duncan Leung in Virginia Beach when I was in the Navy.

  2. #52
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,247
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Jason,

    Welcome back to Bullshido. I see your investigation happened during a hiatus of mine so I had to familiarize myself on the details. So the way I see it, you taught at a MMA school circa 2009, which lets say "less than honest credentials" focusing mainly on the BJJ credentials as those tend to be among the easiest to track down. Turns out your 14 years of BJJ really was "I did a seminar here or there over a 14 year period" and by some Bullies estimates you were at the level of a white belt at the cusp of blue. Additionally, you taken to training MMA fighters despite never getting in the cage yourself. Basically you were/are trained in traditional Japanese Arts but bill yourself as a MMA instructor. Now I see in the thread you been awarded your Blue Belt. May I ask by who? Were/Are you going to an academy now or did you use the Online Gracie Academy?

    As for modifying your Bullshido thread and Bullshido.org article, unfortunately Bullshido doesn't do that as altering content changes our legal status, only the content creator can alter content. Unless additional evidence is presented, then we can amend the article to provide corrections. If you can provide exactly what is incorrect and provide the correct information with proof, we will happy to review it. Bullshido acts as a customer guide for people looking to start Martial Arts. If I were looking for a new instructor in your area, I'd have the right to know your history so I can make an educated decision.

    Finally, I disagree were you statement regarding live training. Honestly, I feel if you aren't sparring roughly 30 mins every session, you are mainly Live Action Role Playing a Martial Artist, not really learning how to fight. Drilling creates muscle memory, sparring works on timing and application. Without that you have only a theoretical knowledge of the subject matter, not a practical one that can be applied.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    86
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    Hello Jason,

    Welcome back to Bullshido. I see your investigation happened during a hiatus of mine so I had to familiarize myself on the details. So the way I see it, you taught at a MMA school circa 2009, which lets say "less than honest credentials" focusing mainly on the BJJ credentials as those tend to be among the easiest to track down. Turns out your 14 years of BJJ really was "I did a seminar here or there over a 14 year period" and by some Bullies estimates you were at the level of a white belt at the cusp of blue. Additionally, you taken to training MMA fighters despite never getting in the cage yourself. Basically you were/are trained in traditional Japanese Arts but bill yourself as a MMA instructor. Now I see in the thread you been awarded your Blue Belt. May I ask by who? Were/Are you going to an academy now or did you use the Online Gracie Academy?

    As for modifying your Bullshido thread and Bullshido.org article, unfortunately Bullshido doesn't do that as altering content changes our legal status, only the content creator can alter content. Unless additional evidence is presented, then we can amend the article to provide corrections. If you can provide exactly what is incorrect and provide the correct information with proof, we will happy to review it. Bullshido acts as a customer guide for people looking to start Martial Arts. If I were looking for a new instructor in your area, I'd have the right to know your history so I can make an educated decision.

    Finally, I disagree were you statement regarding live training. Honestly, I feel if you aren't sparring roughly 30 mins every session, you are mainly Live Action Role Playing a Martial Artist, not really learning how to fight. Drilling creates muscle memory, sparring works on timing and application. Without that you have only a theoretical knowledge of the subject matter, not a practical one that can be applied.
    Well, pretty good about 90% correct.

    #1 My results training people without the sparring speak otherwise unless you subscribe to the theory that I am some magnet for deadringer anomalies or something. Timing and application and the pathways created by them are hindered and "polluted" when the brain is trying to make/force them under stress.

    #2 I never claimed BJJ credentials, I trained a lot more than in just seminars. Most weeks 1-2 hours a night (definitely during the MMACTC time period). I didn't have a direct BB BJJ instructor for all of it which is most peoples gripe, including mine FYI. I was awarded by blue belt from John "papa john" Gorman, who I still train under along with a local coach.

    #3 The "bullies" that I rolled with did so while I had one disc in my spine so much that I could barely use my right arm and the other disc completely crushed, let's just say I wasn't 100% and even so while they video taped and took pictures I was never submitted and never in danger either. One guy I rolled with was a BB in Judo.

    #4 As for providing proof that the "investigation and article" are crap, the proof is actually in the article itself. Most of the claims against me involve what was on the website and even the article admits that Rick Harper had control of it by the end of the article. So on that point alone it would seem that most if not all of the article should be dismissed. From day one of learning about the article I came on here and openly answered and worked with any and everyone that wanted to. People called, literally, every person I ever trained under and worked with even clients from my work. I got calls for weeks with people asking WTF was going on and a Veteran Charity organization that I donated website work to had to break ties with me because someone called every business that donated to them and told them the charity was a money scam ran by me (If I could have only "met" that person on the mat).

    Lastly, I have always welcomed people to train with me, offered to go and train with them and opened up every personal detail for review so you know I must be really hiding something. There is that and the fact that I never charged or got paid from the work I did and that I was merely "hired" to help out the team and other coaches together (of which we started from day one with a nationally ranked and rated boxing coach).

    So I guess that covers it.

  4. #54
    Southpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,977
    Style
    BJJ, Wing Chun
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn View Post
    "Southpaw" I know you are a smart guy and I really have no issue with you, although after the personal attack on me and my faith and my system which you didn't even drive 10 minutes over to investigate for yourself I certainly have reason.
    Thank you. I'd like to think I'm a smart guy. I didn't attack anything. I called bullshit on what I thought was bullshit. It's what Bullshido is for. This was never meant to be a personal attack on you...though in some instances it devolved into that due largely to you bringing up things like your faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn View Post
    However, If I had came across a website like that I would have been pissed too, which is why I came to Bullshido back in the day to let everyone that the guy who made, had control of and ultimately used to smear me --- that guy really didn't understand what he was doing. Rick Harper made that site from day one and he listed those styles, classes, etc. EVERYONE knows that. I once made the statement that everything on that site was correct and when I said that I was referring to the people I had trained with not all the other crap. That was my bad for not being more explicit about what I was saying.
    I'm not really believing the whole "I'm a victim I didn't know..." theme that you keep reiterating. There's no need arguing or disagreeing over it, but suffice it to say that from a business perspective it shouldn't have been difficult for you to realize you were being marketed in a way that was complete bullshit.

    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn View Post
    I have trained with Billy and Jason from back in the day just like I said I did then. Do you think, if I was the person you make me out to be on this site, that I would have shown up to Jason Goldsmiths's school alone one week after my spinal surgery to support Matt in his gong sao? You were there with your training partners, Gezere and the whole crew and me. I don't think some blowhard who didn't actually have the training or some ego hound would go somewhere like that.
    I never tried to make you out to be any type of 'person.' People on Bullshido largely got to come to their own conclusions about you through the various threads that you have shitted up over the past several years.

    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn View Post
    Anyway, we have mutual acquaintances. One of my students from MMACTC actually trains at your gym pretty often. He is a coach of mine now actually. We could meet and train and you could see that I am not who profess me to be if you want to. I will be at the MMA event on Jan 28th in Raleigh to support a good friend on mine in his match. I will likely get a table with some others. If you are interested come over and I will buy you a beer and maybe we can put all of this silly mistaken crap behind us?
    Like I said, I've got no personal axe to grind with you and would drink a beer with you anytime.

    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn View Post
    I am sure offline you are a decent dude and I am sorry for getting angry on here in the past and insulting you. I just wish you would have come down to MMACTC and met me before launching this whole thing.
    I appreciate your apology and also offer mine on anything I've said that was mean in the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn View Post
    **Does your profile read wing chun? I trained a very short period of time with Duncan Leung in Virginia Beach when I was in the Navy.
    Yes I trained for many years under one of Duncan's disciples.

  5. #55
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,247
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn
    Well, pretty good about 90% correct.

    #1 My results training people without the sparring speak otherwise unless you subscribe to the theory that I am some magnet for deadringer anomalies or something. Timing and application and the pathways created by them are hindered and "polluted" when the brain is trying to make/force them under stress.
    If you can't make them work under stress you can't get them to work in any situation worth ****. "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." Your talk about "pathways" is pseudoscience bullshit invented to justify your bullshit idea.


    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn
    #2 I never claimed BJJ credentials, I trained a lot more than in just seminars. Most weeks 1-2 hours a night (definitely during the MMACTC time period). I didn't have a direct BB BJJ instructor for all of it which is most peoples gripe, including mine FYI. I was awarded by blue belt from John "papa john" Gorman, who I still train under along with a local coach.
    Still incredibly misleading. You have a passing familiarity with BJJ, not even close to a level to instruct it (you still aren't) but you pass yourself off as an expert with "14 years of experience." Think about the fact I only been doing BJJ for 6 years and out rank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn
    #3 The "bullies" that I rolled with did so while I had one disc in my spine so much that I could barely use my right arm and the other disc completely crushed, let's just say I wasn't 100% and even so while they video taped and took pictures I was never submitted and never in danger either. One guy I rolled with was a BB in Judo.
    This shows your low level, you don't judge rolls by the amount of times you are submitted but by movement, who is dominating the pace and positional battle. What I read is that your guard was passed repeatedly and had trouble escaping top pressure. Or more specifically "White Belt Problems" not someone with 14 years experience. Injury was just an excuse.

    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn
    #4 As for providing proof that the "investigation and article" are crap, the proof is actually in the article itself. Most of the claims against me involve what was on the website and even the article admits that Rick Harper had control of it by the end of the article. So on that point alone it would seem that most if not all of the article should be dismissed. From day one of learning about the article I came on here and openly answered and worked with any and everyone that wanted to. People called, literally, every person I ever trained under and worked with even clients from my work. I got calls for weeks with people asking WTF was going on and a Veteran Charity organization that I donated website work to had to break ties with me because someone called every business that donated to them and told them the charity was a money scam ran by me (If I could have only "met" that person on the mat).
    So the article is correct. An MMA school opened where the school owner advertised a BJJ expert who really was a seminar trained white belt. It was written correctly with who made what claims and truth. I understand they make you look bad, but honestly people were being deceived and you were a major part of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by questbrinn
    Lastly, I have always welcomed people to train with me, offered to go and train with them and opened up every personal detail for review so you know I must be really hiding something. There is that and the fact that I never charged or got paid from the work I did and that I was merely "hired" to help out the team and other coaches together (of which we started from day one with a nationally ranked and rated boxing coach).

    So I guess that covers it.
    Why do you feel qualified to instruct?
    Last edited by plasma; 12/31/2016 12:40pm at .

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    86
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Thank you. I'd like to think I'm a smart guy. I didn't attack anything. I called bullshit on what I thought was bullshit. It's what Bullshido is for. This was never meant to be a personal attack on you...though in some instances it devolved into that due largely to you bringing up things like your faith.

    I'm not really believing the whole "I'm a victim I didn't know..." theme that you keep reiterating. There's no need arguing or disagreeing over it, but suffice it to say that from a business perspective it shouldn't have been difficult for you to realize you were being marketed in a way that was complete bullshit.

    I never tried to make you out to be any type of 'person.' People on Bullshido largely got to come to their own conclusions about you through the various threads that you have shitted up over the past several years.

    Like I said, I've got no personal axe to grind with you and would drink a beer with you anytime.

    I appreciate your apology and also offer mine on anything I've said that was mean in the past.


    Yes I trained for many years under one of Duncan's disciples.
    Sadly, due to being medically discharged, I did not get to train at Duncan's long. I did stay long enough to see a side of Wing Chun I had never seen before that's for sure.

    I definitely didn't help my situation at MMACTC that I know but it was kind of the perfect storm for me. I have been bullied most of my life and I have fought against each time. Despite what anyone thinks that doesn't know me I have trained long and hard and put many hours into the mat. No, I am obviously not good but I do earn what I get no matter how little that might be. There was a time when Rob Pendergrass said that if you looked up persistence in the dictionary my face would be there. He said that because I go as hard and as long as I can on the mat. I started in BJJ because a friend of mine Devon Goda had went out and trained with Matt Hume only to come back and beat my ass down right after I finally got my BB in karate after 13 years of constant training. When that happened I had to make a decision to walk away and pretend it was a fluke or to start training something new from scratch. Since it took me 13 years to rank in karate I would say I am still on track with BJJ.

    Well, I started training BJJ from that day. Back in 1994 there was not a lot of places to go for training. I opened a school after the military and started a BJJ club in an effort to have somewhere to train in Rocky Mount, NC. Eric Griffin was my student but more importantly he was my trusted friend. We trained together on the mats through tapes, seminars and going on Sundays to the RIMA which at that time had a BJJ club that would meet on Sundays with people like Billy, Jason and the like. Rob and Guy brought in Serra for a few seminars. I went and rolled with Greg Thompson at his school in Hillsborough. Eventually we started training with Geoff in Garner while he was a brown belt and finishing his Phd at State.

    I joined Carlos's association and went to seminars at Thompson's Upstate Karate in Simpsonville SC and took Eric and Rob and Guy. Next Billy brought back Carlos Lemos and we trained with him until work visa issues cut it off. I could go on and on but whats the point? I love training and I hate that whatever I accomplished no matter how small got completely demolished by actions Rick Harper took. I guess I wanted to train and work out and help others so bad I didn't pay enough attention to what and how he was doing it.

    That time when Eric Griffin won the beginners, intermediate and then went on to place 2nd in the advanced against Aitor, during that match Greg Thompson was standing beside Frank Mullis and he said that guy (referring to Eric Griffin) isn't a white belt because he was doing so good (you see we didn't have anyone to rank us because we were off on our own). Frank turned to him and said something like "well are you going to rank him?" Of course he didn't and that was kinda the whole story all along. I am happy for Eric and that he found his way. I am also happy for all of the people from MMACTC that went on to train at other places and do great things. I am still working on mine that's all.

    Today I train as much as I can with a former student from MMACTC, a great friend and now my coach at Schell Shock BJJ. I have great support and friends who I have taught and learned even more from. I still try to improve even with the spinal injury and just being old and out of shape.

    I am qualified to instruct because people better than me tell me that I am and because they believe in me.

    I look forward to meeting anyone I can from this forum and making whatever I can right. I simply can't seem to do that online for some reason.

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in