Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here in Italy judo instructors affiliated to the major judo association (FIJKAM) have to follow a yearly refresher course. Some years ago my instructors was told, in one of those courses, that kids nowadays lack many of the bodily "skills" that were common in the past, for example kids often can't do somersaults, so it was necassarious to be very cautios and explain such movements in detail to the kids.
    The reason is that in modern times kids don't play much on the outside (for example because they live in cities with few playgrounds), and thus don't learn the same bodily skills of the kids of previous generations.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    It was soccer. Period.

Played by Marines. A bit rough.
    So like tae kwon do, except kicking the ball(s) was legal?
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 11/30/2016 12:49am at .
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I was and am highly gratified that dodge ball is a very important part of the gym activities in our local school system.

You mean Commando Soccer, LOL? Or Commando ball, played inside on a basketball court...

Freeball?

Dodgeball teaches a very handy skill.
    I always think of this:

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Freeball?

Dodgeball teaches a very handy skill.
    I always think of this:

How to avoid a technique:
    dodge, block, counter

It's really just that simple.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kickboxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only does it affect the balance and body control but there are studies showing that protecting the kids too much also affect things like bone density. Climbing, jumping, falling...all that benefit the body later.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    According to the article kids are sitting too much. Simply getting up from the seat/couch would be a huge start for most kids. Before you even put them in a martial arts school...make them take a walk outside?
    They are sitting too much, but I agree with the premise of the article, that it's because they are made to do so.

I would imagine kids aren't any different now than they have ever been. If you get a group of 8-10 year old boys together in a setting they are comfortable with, and leave them to their own devices, they​will end up running around and roughhousing like blazing idiots almost without fail.

In generations past, this behavior was tolerated as "boys will be boys" (or "kids will be kids"-i really don't see much gender specific play behavior until almost pre-adolescence). These days, the inclination of kids to do what they do is preempted and redirected out of concerns of bullying, aggression, exclusion, injury, and various other psychobabbling.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    How to avoid a technique:
    dodge, block, counter

It's really just that simple.
    You didn't use the proper Dodgeball terminology...THERE ARE FIVE D'S!!!

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double posts suck.

Page 2 of 2 First 12