Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    439
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here in Italy judo instructors affiliated to the major judo association (FIJKAM) have to follow a yearly refresher course. Some years ago my instructors was told, in one of those courses, that kids nowadays lack many of the bodily "skills" that were common in the past, for example kids often can't do somersaults, so it was necassarious to be very cautios and explain such movements in detail to the kids.
    The reason is that in modern times kids don't play much on the outside (for example because they live in cities with few playgrounds), and thus don't learn the same bodily skills of the kids of previous generations.

  2. #12
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,357
    Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    It was soccer. Period.

    Played by Marines. A bit rough.
    So like tae kwon do, except kicking the ball(s) was legal?
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 11/30/2016 12:49am at .
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

  3. #13
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,408
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I was and am highly gratified that dodge ball is a very important part of the gym activities in our local school system.

    You mean Commando Soccer, LOL? Or Commando ball, played inside on a basketball court...

    Freeball?


    Dodgeball teaches a very handy skill.
    I always think of this:


  4. #14
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Freeball?


    Dodgeball teaches a very handy skill.
    I always think of this:

    How to avoid a technique:
    dodge, block, counter

    It's really just that simple.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vantaa, Finland
    Posts
    6
    Style
    Kickboxing
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only does it affect the balance and body control but there are studies showing that protecting the kids too much also affect things like bone density. Climbing, jumping, falling...all that benefit the body later.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    513
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    According to the article kids are sitting too much. Simply getting up from the seat/couch would be a huge start for most kids. Before you even put them in a martial arts school...make them take a walk outside?
    They are sitting too much, but I agree with the premise of the article, that it's because they are made to do so.

    I would imagine kids aren't any different now than they have ever been. If you get a group of 8-10 year old boys together in a setting they are comfortable with, and leave them to their own devices, they​will end up running around and roughhousing like blazing idiots almost without fail.

    In generations past, this behavior was tolerated as "boys will be boys" (or "kids will be kids"-i really don't see much gender specific play behavior until almost pre-adolescence). These days, the inclination of kids to do what they do is preempted and redirected out of concerns of bullying, aggression, exclusion, injury, and various other psychobabbling.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    How to avoid a technique:
    dodge, block, counter

    It's really just that simple.
    You didn't use the proper Dodgeball terminology...THERE ARE FIVE D'S!!!


  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Heimat
    Posts
    4,182
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double posts suck.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in