Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 7:04am

Style: Yang Style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does it matter what style, most people on this board don't give a flying dump what style of tai chi we're talking about. They just lump it in with all the meditating, incense burning, pseudo-mysitcal new age jerks who do it like a dance to get their rocks off and feel special.

In my school, we train to fight, and we train to win. 13 postures are discussed, practiced, 5 steps and what have you... Most of it is in private lessons since the off-the-street contingient doesn't have the patience to go through any of that. They just wanna look cool in front of their girlfriends and it PISSES ME OFF.

And by the way, all the grand masters who visit, William Chan, Tao Ping Tsiang, etc. pronounce it "Tie Chee Chuan". So there. They even refer to the practitioners as "Tai Chi Players", which also has been known to piss people off...

-Sick of hearing Tai Chi getting bashed, rather than discussed-
    -Tai Chi Noob

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 7:05am

Style: Yang Style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for going off half cocked, it's been one of those mornings, already.

You can see my point, though. I hope.

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 7:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And why would ANY decent Taiji practitioner want to be in a MMA competition?

Of the millions of people that practice "tai chi", you can count on one hand how many practice the Martial Art of Taijiquan, wither it be Yang, Chen, Wu or Sun ( did I forget any?).

To take the average "numb nut in the park doing Tai Chi while a squirrel bits him in the nuts sack" as an example of the MA of Taiji, is silly.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 8:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey NOOb!

Do you speak Chinese? Could you even hear the difference between 'tai ji quan' and 'tai chee chuan'? Do you even know what sound a 'q' vs. a 'ch' is supposed to represent? Do you know what province these famous teachers are from? What accent they have? Did it ever occur to you that being a famous Tai Chee Teacher has about as much relevence to them speaking standard Chinese as being Chinese has to do with weather their Taijiquan is any good?

As long as your going off half cocked anyways . ..

But other than that.....yeah. Everything else you said is on the money. ;)
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 11:17am

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Don't know their own theories?

Originally posted by Omar
    Actually, for the most part they don't even know their own theories, let alone the practice. 5 steps is pretty core and very few of the Taiji guys I've met have any idea what they are. Most don't even know what the 13 postures are.
    I'd say TJQ's problem is too much theory. You have all the Sinophilic flakes (my personal favorite is the grandly ultimate idiot. . .AKA BL) frothily parroting platitudes about "leading someone's qi into emptiness" when, time and again, they've conclusively proven they don't have two brain cells to rub together.

Plus, you have the anti-athletes* who can quote the classics but still can't stand on one leg.

p.s. I'm not a TCCer, just an IMA enthusiast and there's a lot of crossover.
    I'm not a TJQ guy either. I put TJQ in the same class as WC--I like the training methodologies, but it tends to attract a clientele** that's supremely annoying.

*yet another problem endemic to, at least two of the big three, internal systems is aversion to modern strength training methods. Quaint fantasies of CMC not being able to lift an 8lb bowling ball to the contrary, training full-body lifts like deadlift or snatch will only improve your overall athleticism. Never mind that the original Chen guys were all farmers and, presumably, had well-developed functional strength. Or that Chen Qing Zhou spends a good amount of time pole-shaking or tossing around his heavy ball.

**aesthetes (eg what a beautiful form) or wanna-beMaster Pos

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look-left
    Gaze-right
    Dang! I always Look-right and Gaze-left!

Matt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 1:21pm

Style: Internal/extern

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL at gazing.:D The way the name sounded to me when said by chinese people is Tie Jee Jwen
    Last edited by serious harm; 5/18/2004 2:07pm at .

Lord Of the Rhymes

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 2:00pm

Style: Pimpin/Tango-thanks Xango

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5 steps:
    1) Say Loudly "I do TCC and I wanna compete in the UFC"
    2) Wait for people to stop laughing
    3) Sign waiver
    4) Enter the octagon
    5) Die
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt, you must be a south-paw. heh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2004 2:34pm

Style: Internal/extern

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****! now that I think about it, there is fucking basis for that in both other qigong styles as well as Yoga. Use your right eye to look and emit energy into the opponents soul. Boddihdharma was aisd to meditatae staring into a cave wall, some caves might have pools to look into. Taiji is non religous, but has buddha postures.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast