Page 3 of 3 First 123

Style
    Boxing, Judo,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no black belts in Sambo. You accumulate a point total from tournament competition and are ranked in your country or region. It's more like an NCAA style athlete ranking than an Asian belt system. That being said...many sambo wrestlers also practice judo, which does have black belts. So someone might be confused and not know the difference when speaking of someone being a sambo black belt OR someone whom is both a judo black belt and a sambo expert may have said they were a sambo black belt entirely out of convenience.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I can't tell you one way or the other but there is belt ranks in SAMBO. Most of them are identified as school ranks but they are out there.
    No exactly. Back in the early 90's SAMBO was being introduced to the world and they invited hundreds of coaches to come learn and adopt the system. As a way to make SAMBO more universally adoptable they created a belt system. Those coaches went back to their respective countries with those belt ranking systems. Without full support though the system quickly became corrupt, ambiguous, or simply in house systems. So yes, there are SAMBO black belts out there and they were originally proposed by the Russian SAMBO groups themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles Murphy View Post
    There are no black belts in Sambo. You accumulate a point total from tournament competition and are ranked in your country or region. It's more like an NCAA style athlete ranking than an Asian belt system. That being said...many sambo wrestlers also practice judo, which does have black belts. So someone might be confused and not know the difference when speaking of someone being a sambo black belt OR someone whom is both a judo black belt and a sambo expert may have said they were a sambo black belt entirely out of convenience.
    Did you not read the thread before commenting? There are Sambo Black Belts. Some systems of Sambo use them. Others follow the FIAS or RDojo system that you elucidated. Still others follow a different system where you ranking is directly related to level of championship that you have won. Simply saying that they don't exist though is inaccurate.

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles Murphy View Post
    There were several groups issuing Sambo black belts in the U.S. in the 90s, however most of those seem defunct these days but they gave out a lot of them. Today the only U.S. based group I can think of that still issues black belts in Sambo is Michael Galeprin's United States Combat Sambo Association.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    There were several groups issuing Sambo black belts in the U.S. in the 90s, however most of those seem defunct these days but they gave out a lot of them. Today the only U.S. based group I can think of that still issues black belts in Sambo is Michael Galeprin's United States Combat Sambo Association.
    I still do. My federation is called "I got a black belt from Omega, now shut the **** up".

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still do. My federation is called "I got a black belt from Omega, now shut the **** up".
    I don't see why anyone would argue with you on that one. I'm technically a member of the USCSA and do have a black belt in Sambo from them, but I don't wear it and I don't personally use a belt system in my club.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    I don't see why anyone would argue with you on that one. I'm technically a member of the USCSA and do have a black belt in Sambo from them, but I don't wear it and I don't personally use a belt system in my club.
    Ironically that is where I was first awarded my blackbelt. Then our group separated and then I separated; I'm not sure if it were Michael Galeprin's group specifically.

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm intrigued by your federation and wish to subscribe to your online training program.

Page 3 of 3 First 123