Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 10:05am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do a lot of knife defense training at Krav. The instructor is a realist. He says that if someone comes at you with a knife you are probably going to get stabbed. The techniques we are taught will, most likely, lessen the extent of the knife damage and to limit the number of kife strikes that you recieve.

There are different techniques for different situations, threats and actual attacks.

Attacks are generally dealt with by stopping the attack, trapping the arm and disarming. During this you are punching, elbowing and kneeing to get the attackers attention off the knife.

You always try to avoid getting stabbed at all, however, it's a bit like entering an unarmed fight and expecting that the other guy won't be able to hit you.

We practice the 'text-book' technique and then try to apply it in a live situation. You might get lucky and pull it off perfectly but this is seldom the case. Most importantly you KEEP GOING NO MATTER WHAT.

I don't think training with a real or even wooden knife is a good idea if you are going to train at full intensity and if you are not going to do that then why bother.

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 10:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Youneed to rpogress to a point where the "fake weapon" can cause some damage, though a real knife is NEVER a good idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 10:10am

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FLAME **** OUT OF THIS AS THIS AS YOU WILL (EDIT)...IF YOU WANT TO ACCOUNT FOR WEAPONS, TRAIN IN AN ART THAT IS BUILT AROUND WEAPONS AND NOT ONE WHERE WEAPONS ARE A BULLSHIT "OPTIONAL EXTRA" TO WIN ARGUMENTS ON THE INTERNET.
    Last edited by SMF; 3/16/2005 10:14am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 10:13am

Style: Daito Ryu, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great points all. As already stated, it is key to treat any knife encounter as an attempt on your life. Neutralize your attacker as quick as possible. My knife training has not included to many "de-fanging" drills, so I was always currious if practictioners of FMA might be more inclined to first attempt to "de-fang" as opposed to trying for the quick kill. That being said, if escape is not possible, controll the knife weilding limb. Some hard core knife guys may carry multiple blades, so you should drill that in your scenario training as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 10:14am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Youneed to rpogress to a point where the "fake weapon" can cause some damage, though a real knife is NEVER a good idea.
    The knifes we train with are rubber, firm enough to be uncomfortable if someone sticks you hard in the ribs but will not pierce the skin.

Its a bit like being hit repeatedly with a 15 inch black rubber dildo, and we ALL know that can smart!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 10:51am

Style: Shotokan ( Used to )

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he ask's you For A last Request. Say " I am going to teach you to Teach you how to take a knife" When he hand's it over. Stab the bitch!!!!!!!!!! :)

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 3:05pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's important to eventually perform some techniques slowly with a hard-edged (though not necessarily "live") blade to see if you 're going to inadvertantly stab or cut yourself, but it's not going to be "alive" training in any sense. Given that you ought to expect to recieve defensive wounds in the fight it follows that truly alive training will give you these wounds, which makes it categorically unsafe.

Otherwise, I'd just note that it's important to move and act decisively. It's a whole different fight than a kickboxing style engagement where you can wear and probe with jabbing and moving in and out of distance. I came from the "control the weapon first" style of training, but I'd say than an FMA practitioner would probably be better educated.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What styles out there besides the Philipino Trinity, deal with weapons, especially the knife. I know the knife techs taught at my school is bullshdo. While the chance of me getting into a knife fight is unlikely, knife defense and offense is something I'd like to add to my repertoire.

Genius

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've sparred with real knives. Of course, they were still in the scabbards. (We didn't have training knives)
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    3/16/2005 3:22pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    The Krav manual agrees with you:

"In practicing defenses against knife attack, rubber knives should be used in the initial stages of training. Only after an adequate degree of skill has been achieved, may the students progress to dull wooden knives. Finally, once they have completely mastered the techniques, the students may train with metal knives, but with maximum care."

"Krav Maga, Sde-Or & Yanilov, p. 222"

What little knife defense we've done in our class so far, the instructors constantly emphasize the value of giving up wallets or swallowing pride by using run-fu.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast