Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last
    Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Streetfighters Suck Month

“Who would win between a Streetfighter and a Martial Artist?”

This used to be considered a legitimate question back in the day. As in, people would actually take it seriously and engage in lengthy debates about it in the mediums available during the pre-internet world. Whenever a kung-fu magazine would interview some figure in the industry, they would inevitably ask him “How do you think a student of yours would fair against a street tough from Chicago who’s been fighting all his life?” and nine times out of ten the instructor would actually respond “That’s an interesting question.” Needless to say, the state of discourse in American martial arts between the death of Bruce Lee and the emergence of the Ultimate Fighting Championship was a bit vapid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 9.25.09 PM.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	17186

I assume the “Streetfighter” quandary was the product of two facets of reality for karate/kung-fu people back in the day:

1. It’s always been a pretty common occurrence in bars and playgrounds to see tardos bragging about their own combat prowess, especially if they happened to have just learned that somebody in their proximity practices martial arts. Because most people, even those who train how to fight, just don’t get into that many brawls out in Streetrealm, it can be hard to dismiss these butt-righters outright and not take them seriously to at least some degree. After all, why would they be so confident if they didn’t have the experience to back it up?

2. In the days when aliveness wasn’t really a topic of discussion and martial arts in general was synonymous with point sparring/pseudo-full contact spazzing, any random untrained dude had a pretty damn good shot at beating somebody who practiced "The Arts of Oriental Self-Defense" (Especially if they grappled him). In this way, the so-called “streetfighter,” somebody who learned to fight via gritty real-life experience rather than devoting years of his life to perfecting katas, became something of a mythical figure in some martial arts circles.

Youtube, MMA, and common sense all make these notions obsolete, however. Although it's true that there are some undiscovered Mike Tyson's roaming out in the wild, most dudes who are actually capable of referring to themselves as "streetfighters" without feeling embarrassment are just simply naive. If you've gotten into a few scraps and handled yourself pretty well, you may indeed have a knack for fighting, but those "victories" you scored don't mean much in and of themselves. Even though a streetfight is by definition no-holds-barred and bareknuckle (Except in those rare situations when tempers flair mid-round during boxing/MMA sparring), at the end of the day you still probably just fought a bunch of out-of-shape, untrained pussies. Deontay Wilder with Bop Gloves and couch cushions on his fists is still a **** ton scarier than Big Mac in brass knuckles could ever be.

Likewise, if you're getting into a **** loads of fights in the first place, I don't think it would be an extraordinary venture to say that you either started many of those altercations or that you unnecessarily escalated them to the point of violence. Barring a select few people in the world burdened with the Asshole Magnet gene (Like Omega), most dudes usually don't get into many fights unless they're scumbags who instigate ****. Can you really consider it a win if the dude you beat didn't really want to fight you and you hit him while he was looking at his phone? If that's the case then fucking any asshole can accrue a massive streetfighting record suckerpunching passersby on the sidewalk in front of his house before running back inside.

Any way, without further a-jew, here's the first video:

Last edited by Holy Moment; 10/01/2016 9:19pm at .

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can feel the butt hurt disturb the Force.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the instructors at my school on Thursday talked about a street fight/bar fight that he had been involved in Mexico where he fucked up some wannabe mafioso. A previous instructor from another school I was at had previously told this story to me as he was there when it happened. So the short story goes something like this.
    They are partying down in Mexico and well there is a girl that he is chatting up, and this guy comes into the bar sees this **** going on and starts a fight and the BJJ guy breaks his wrist, elbow, and shoulder with an armbar.
    For the record, he talked about it after someone asked a question about what is going to break when you do this armbar. He also highly discourages people getting into these sorts of situations.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to love this month!

However, one thing I don't love is how most street fight videos are 90% people talking and shoving and 10% shakycam with bad vertical framing while someone's jumping into frame yelling, "World Star!!"

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also: that Black Belt cover is one of the funniest things ever posted to this site. wowe. so early 90s. much pre-UFC.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Also: that Black Belt cover is one of the funniest things ever posted to this site. wowe. so early 90s. much pre-UFC.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 6.57.50 AM.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	17187

Also:

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Thing about Kimbo is that he was actually training since almost the beginning. Dude had an athletic background in football and also apparently possessed a knack for dodging punches (He said in the first fight he ever got in he realized he could see the punches coming at him), but also started training boxing at the Freestyle Fighting Academy in Miami early on in his bareknuckle campaign.

Making a name for oneself by posting bareknuckle boxing matches online was definitely a lot more viable back during the pre-Youtube, pre-TUF days, I'd say.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I can feel the butt hurt disturb the Force.
    The aim is to disillusion Sam Losco so hard his mind cracks like an eggshell.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do we explain Tank Abbot and Scott Ferozzo?

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... Last