Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    Karate, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ballistic Striking BS?

So after taking a gander at a few systems exhibitions ive taken an interest in the ability of a strike to disperse its force past the first several layers of biological protection. The idea of having someone reel back over a well flexed gut punch seems...unrealistic. Every serious sparring session I've had so far, and a few fights here and there, has let me to believe that striking is a mediocre means of "conflict resolution" unless you can get a perfect shot on the jawline.

Has anybody here played around with the systems style ballistic striking? Is it even worth investing time in as a skill outside of regular striking?

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondieLocks View Post
    Every serious sparring session I've had so far, and a few fights here and there has let me believe that striking is a mediocre means of "conflict resolution" unless you can get a perfect shot on the jawline.
    Well, there is this whole other thing called grappling.....

As far as "ballistic striking" um what? Not to be too snarky but you list as one of your styles as MMA. Now let me tell you something about MMA, you can win this stuff called money if you are good at. If you are really good at it, you can make millions, boxing, kickboxing, MT, K1 style fighting, etc etc.
    There is no secret type of striking that works better than prizefighting striking. You want to learn to hit hard, learn a combat style that is constantly tested against other people for money.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Karate, MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Well, there is this whole other thing called grappling.....

As far as "ballistic striking" um what? Not to be too snarky but you list as one of your styles as MMA. Now let me tell you something about MMA, you can win this stuff called money if you are good at. If you are really good at it, you can make millions, boxing, kickboxing, MT, K1 style fighting, etc etc.
    There is no secret type of striking that works better than prizefighting striking. You want to learn to hit hard, learn a combat style that is constantly tested against other people for money.
    Yeah, I do train in MMA, and have no interest in fighting professionally.The fights I'm referring to are the local college brotarts on 6th street. None with knives so far, luckily.

Its worth mentioning that I have no interest in competitive application whatsoever, the way I'm training now is to brutally hurt people. Which is probably why my sparring partners have dwindled...
    but alas, my money has always been on grappling, joint locks, and standing core control.
    However, this Systema-based idea that an unflexed arm will deliver force passed muscle tissue peaked both my bullshit alarm and interest.
    Im just curious as to whether any experienced practitioners can confirm or deny its effectiveness.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its worth mentioning that I have no interest in competitive application whatsoever, the way I'm training now is to brutally hurt people.
    You are missing my point by a mile, the two are one and the same. How do you win fights? By hurting people.
    Now let me ask you this if you were going into a fight with a million dollar fight are you not going to use what is the most effective strikes you can possibly use?
    Think about that, think about how much really rides on a top level professional fight vs that of your average "street" fight.
    If "ballistic striking" worked you would see its use in combat sports.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    However, this Systema-based idea that an unflexed arm will deliver force passed muscle tissue peaked both my bullshit alarm and interest.
    Im just curious as to whether any experienced practitioners can confirm or deny its effectiveness.
    bal·lis·tic
    bəˈlistik
    adjective
    of or relating to projectiles or their flight.
    moving under the force of gravity only.

so .... ummm. Yeah. Systema ... the magical martial art which defies logic and physics.
    Systema has a tendency to make huge claims and then provide little to no evidence it is all Marketing and parlor tricks.

Yeah, I do train in MMA, and have no interest in fighting professionally.The fights I'm referring to are the local college brotarts on 6th street. None with knives so far, luckily.

Its worth mentioning that I have no interest in competitive application whatsoever, the way I'm training now is to brutally hurt people. Which is probably why my sparring partners have dwindled...
    So you are a douchebag with no respect for your training partners? That is sad, it makes me sad that no one has sat you down and talked to you about the difference between sparring and fighting. You should seriously consider seeking out another gym if what you are saying is true, so should your sparring partners.

but alas, my money has always been on grappling, joint locks, and standing core control.
    I have no idea what this "standing core control" you speak of is. What exactly is that and who taught you about it? It sounds like woo.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 9/25/2016 11:15pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

If you listen and look you can clearly see he is talking about sucker punching people with sloppy and exaggerated hooks and uppercuts.

... and after some thought and analyzing BlondieLocks' posts I have decided that this does not belong in the ASD Forum. I do not think he/she is actually training MMA.

So moved from Advanced Striking Discussion Forum to YMAS.

* edit*

I should have removed the question mark from the title ...
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the thing, dude: You can have the deadliest Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique known to man in your non-competitive training. If you can't actually test it out against anyone, though, or if how you test it out involves being a bully that injures your sparring partners, then you need to reevaluate your training.

I'll bet 100% on the guy who can do a White Belt takedown and armbar over the guy who has such deadly Kung Fu that he can't use it in a competitive (i.e. sparring) setting because he's training to be "Brütal." I mean, Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Brazilian Jiujitsu, Kyokushin Karate, and Sambo are examples of amazingly effective systems. However, for those systems to be effective, they have to be trained against resisting opponents over and over again. So, if your system is theoretically so deadly that you can't practice it, then you're gonna have a hard time applying it once the time comes to use it.

Don't worry about being so hardcore compared to all the other martial arts. When it comes time to defend yourself, you're gonna be way more well-trained than the typical college dude. Which, speaking of, those dudes aren't actually worth fighting if you're training with and competing against actual trained martial artists and fighters to begin with. They're a waste of your time when way better opponents are out there.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now I don't have a reference for this, but wasn't there something about Fedor using ballistic striking??

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well then, don't get in fights, and avoid the places where college kids carry knives. I lived just outside of Boston most of my life, and despite it being the nation's largest concentration of colleges, I found myself forced into a fight with college kids exactly zero times, probably because I'm not an aggressive asshat.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Now I don't have a reference for this, but wasn't there something about Fedor using ballistic striking??
    hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by internets
    Born Fedor Vladimirovich Emelianenko
    28 September 1976 (age 39)
    Rubizhne, Luhansk Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
    Native name Фёдор Емельяненко
    Other names The Last Emperor
    Residence Stary Oskol, Belgorod Oblast, Russia
    Nationality Russian[1]
    Height 1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)[2]
    Weight 235 lb (107 kg; 16.8 st)[2]
    Division Heavyweight
    Reach 74.5 in (189 cm)[2]
    Style Sambo, Judo, Boxing, Kickboxing
    Well considering Sambo, Judo, Boxing, nor Kickboxing have "ballistic striking" as far as I know, I would say no.

*edit*
    Again I would like to know WHAT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BALLISTIC STRIKING AND STRIKING IS.
    As Goodlun pointed out
    If you are really good at it, you can make millions, boxing, kickboxing, MT, K1 style fighting, etc etc.
    If there was a special or secret way to generate force/power which was truly superior to MT, Boxing, or Kickboxing we would be seeing it clear the rings and cages.

Do people really think professional trainers and fight don't spend their lives searching for better ways to do things?

I promise you if the mechanics of "Ballistic Striking" were anything special or effective Team Quest, Reign MMA, Cesar Gracie Fight Team, Team Nogueira, Alliance MMA, American Kickboxing Academy, American Top Team, Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA, FighterFit, Banchamek Gym, Tiger Muay Thai, and Art of Eight would be all over that ****.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 9/26/2016 8:14am at .
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last