--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training while doing desk work

Please move this if it's in the wrong section.

I wanted to know what one can do when doing things like reading, writing, etc. just to keep active or add in some extra physical work.

My teacher tells me to do as many reps as possible of 'crushing fist' (you basically start open palmed and start to close your palm as if you're crushing something really hard), San Ti, horse stance and ab work.

Do you guys do anything like that?

I once saw a guy on youtube sitting in middle splits while studying.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by skej View Post
    Please move this if it's in the wrong section.

I wanted to know what one can do when doing things like reading, writing, etc. just to keep active or add in some extra physical work.

My teacher tells me to do as many reps as possible of 'crushing fist' (you basically start open palmed and start to close your palm as if you're crushing something really hard), San Ti, horse stance and ab work.

Do you guys do anything like that?

I once saw a guy on youtube sitting in middle splits while studying.
    A friend of mine owns a medical technology company. They have a bunch of those treadmill desks, people hotel on them, frequently there's a waiting line.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I worked in an IT office, I used to bring my iron Indian clubs to work and do some clubwork before everyone else showed up (usually about an hour).

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are some things you can do at your desk.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquely.../#7e7710a9e99e
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I frequently do some kind of training while at my desk job, but it's mostly body conditioning stuff. Here's some of the stuff I do:
    - Use the side (not the top) of my desk as a makiwara (not too hard tho, since the desk doesn't have /any/ give to it) for knuckles or outside of wrist. That can get somewhat loud though, so may not be advisable depending on your workspace.
    - Smack my wrists together - which is a softer sound - which helps condition both inner and outer wrist bones.
    - Use my knuckles or fingertips whenever opening a push-open door. (Again, watch the volume and don't strike too hard, or you may get yelled at for abusing the facility. ;) )
    - Press firmly on my desk top with fingertips then drag them towards me while maintaining a forceful contact with the desk - helps develop/maintain finger strength, or so I was told.
    - Stand in kibadachi or shikodachi (or really any low stance) at my desk whenever I get tired of sitting.

I hope some of that is useful and/or gives you some ideas.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're not at a standing desk, i'm assuming. If it's reasonable to request one at work, try and see if you can get a standing desk or a height-adjustable standing desk that sits on your regular desk (e.g. VariDesk, etc.). Standing might take a little getting-used-to, but it beats the effects of sitting for long periods. With standing it should be a little easier to do those other exercises too.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all honesty I wouldn't bother, you're never going to get any meaningful gains from training whilst at your desk.

Smash your phys in your evenings and use your desk time as recovery.
    Ne Obliviscaris