Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks phrost.

For all the MMA competition fans: do any of the top competitiors post their workouts on websites?

Thanks a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must say that if you are under the age of 18 and you are a male, you should NOT do squats. Your body has not fully grown yet. I'll use myself as an example. I'm 5'8.5 (or so) and about 210. At one point, I could squat ~550lbs for 8 reps. And I was squatting well. (e.g., full extension, back straight, etc.). I did all this from the age of 15, where I was 5'10 and 130lbs to the age of 22, where I was 5'8.5 and 210. I'm now 29. I kid you not when I tell you that I LOST 1.5 inches of height, and I can't imagine what else it could have been except squats. The amount of compression on my spine and growing bones was amazing. It's like living on a planet with two times the gravity. It's going to compress you.

I've often wondered if others have experienced this phenomena. At any rate, I now look like Ram Man from He-Man. :) Short and Stout. I'm OK with it, but I really think I short-changed (sorry for the Pun) myself by doing squats at that age.

That being said, my legs, trunk, and overall body, are tremendously strong - but the price was too great, in my opinion. And, I'm lucky - I never really trully injured myself. Lifting 550 lbs on your shoulders can be damn dangerous. Even 100 lbs can be dangerous if you screw up.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 10:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you sure you haven't blocked out an accident with a trash compacter!

I've never been very comfortable with squats and did them infrequently. Don't ever do them now.

Young kids lifting is of concern, worse is the number of kids taking supplements and steroids.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 11:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KJM,

By the way: P.H.A.T. gimmie a break, that's as bad as SCARS or FIST.
    Now appearing on McLifting.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2002 9:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't make the name up but it is easier to say then Peripheral Heart Action Training. It like saying ASAP just because its a quick way to say something doesn't make it a Mc'something.I think allot of ppl judge things with out trying it. Peripheral Heart Action Training has been around for years and has been used by top athletes it is no were near a McLifting.com or what ever. I bet you wont make it through it the first or maybe the third time.If you do it right I don't use circuit machines and it's nonstop no stopping to change weight and so on you go to one movement to the next I have worked with top athletes who didn't make it through some got out of breath some had no muscle endurance or got nausea or fainted. So don't knock something in till you can do it.This will show if you have muscle endurance cardiovascular conditioning like you would in a fight that's what it was designed for I know by doing this you will get stronger faster lose body fat, up your cardio efficency ten fold. So think what you well it easier to knock something than to do it.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/06/2002 9:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh I never said I wasn't going to try aspects of it, as you say the principles have been around for a long time and are valid (never said otherwise, though I'm not sure its the program for me).

Nonetheless: PHAT c'mon remember the thread about FIST and the like. I'm sure it is a marketing ploy and if you dig enough you'll probably find evidence of that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 7:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to forums at www.bodybuilding.com a guy named layne norton will give you personal diet and workout plan for free too and answer your questions too. The guy is a national amateur bodybuilding champ, note you don't have to be a body builder to get advice from him, he's answered all kinds of people's questions. Hell if you don't wanna ask him, ask me I'll probably be able to help too. I have a team of trainers that ar paid a few hundred grand a year to teach me what to do I'm sure I've learned enough to help you guys too :)

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    6/29/2003 6:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Freddy:
    I really dont recommend squats. There are a few exercises that weight lifters just shouldn't do. Squats is just one of them. Any exercise that put extensive pressure on your back isnt good at all. You end up with premature symtoms of aging i.e. hunch back.
    Utter horseshit.
    The only way squats can put 'extensive pressure' on your back is if you are one of the people that has built massive quads on the leg press machine without building up any muscle or strength in any part of your back. These people try to switch to squats and due to a MASSIVE imbalance in their bodies, can end up injuring themselves.

The only time someone should avoid squats is if they have genetic back and problems, or back injuries that haven't/can't heal.

poorboy:
    ironmind has a product to let you do squats with no pressure on your back. is a belt that lets you hang the bar between your legs. i've never used it, but you might check it out.
    It's called a belt squat or hip-belt squat.
    It is a good variation, although obviously works the muscles differently.

Dochter:
    I love the standing military press (one of the pics and listed exercises), one of my favorites for sheer stupid machismo, nothing like repping 225 that way.
    You rep 225 like that ?
    I don't think you need advice from anyone here... :)

To Spineflow:
    I'm familiar with Matt Brzckyi (am a member of Cyberpump)
    What do you think about the strength training principles of Stuart McRobert, David Maurice, and others in that camp ?

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2003 7:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started lifting when I was 13 for soccer and MMA. I'm 6'3 so I haven't had any problems with it. Squats are important for me anyway, it helps me with explosiveness in takedowns. It's used by football players b/c it's a full body exercise that develops explosiveness off the line. I really don't see any problem with lifting or taking supplements as a kid, it just depends on what kind of lifting routine and so on. As far as supplements, I've seen nothing negative from creatine or protein or glutamine. They're not steroids and don'thave the same anabolic effects or side effects. I would never use steroids or have kids use them.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/29/2003 9:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ForM, Old posts (~7 months), I doubt I'd even try that right now. It's fun for a freak show but not fun for my back.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123