Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 2:59am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow I almost forgot about this thread. It's update time again. Again, started getting lazy, so I haven't been consistently working out between the last post and this one. My bodyfat is now 6.1%, and I weight one pound MORE than I did. So my LBM is still increasing. Which makes sense, because my chest and arm measurements are up, while my waist and hip measurements are down.

As far as strength is concerned, in the major lifts my numbers are almost EXACTLY the same. However, in stabilization style lifts (one armed DB bench press, for example), my strength is quite a bit higher than I would've expected. I can't say it's UP per se, because I hadn't done these types of workouts before beginning the experiment. But I've routinely surprised myself and others.

Anyway, I'll try to collect actual numbers over the next couple of days. But thought I'd let you guys know it's been going well.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    I was looking around on Amazon.com today and I came across a book entitled "Dynamic Strength" for like 6 bucks. It's about Dynamic Tension as a means of gaining strength, and has a bunch of exercises and routines and stuff in it.
    I've got that book :thumbsup: Found it at a book sale years ago.

Anyway, the idea is that I'll put the Dynamic Tension training to the test. Before I start, I'll test my one-rep maxes on Bench Press, Deadlift, Military Press, Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions, and T-Bar Rows (I would do squats too, but I don't have a squat rack). This will gauge my starting point. As I progress with the Dynamic Tension training, I'll record my weight and possibly some other statistics daily. At one month intervals, I'll re-test my one rep maximums to see how much, if any, progress I've made. I would LIKE to be able to test my bodyfat percentage but I don't have access the the equipment necessary to do it accurately, and I would record my muscular definition, but that's very subjective, and thus hard to measure with any precision.
    As far as toning and definition, you'll definitely get some, maybe even a little growth as well. As far as strength gains, though, I wouldn't expect too much. DT exercises won't get your tendons, joints, and spine accustomed to real resistance as your mechanoreceptors won't be trained and consequently you'll get very little strength increases. If you like the idea of tension training though (I know I do) do them to get used to full-body tension then incorporate it into your lifting. You'll see some good gains that way :thumbsup:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 4:42pm

Style: KARATE / MUAY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just found the thread...

books not bad, but i never felt like i ever got a real good workout from it. best thing about it is its easy to throw a few exercises into your day. do a few reps while cooking, that kinda thing...

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oni
    just found the thread...

books not bad, but i never felt like i ever got a real good workout from it. best thing about it is its easy to throw a few exercises into your day. do a few reps while cooking, that kinda thing...
    I'm a kettlebell whore myself, I'm always playing with one of em, doing exercises in front of the TV and stuff like that.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandeissansoo
    Don't you realize this is a Nature pub waiting to happen?!!?!!?!?
    Despite the petulant manner in which I posted regarding what you're talking about, I was, in fact, quite serious. Also not at all delusional.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 7:39pm

Style: ASU Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had the book for some time, dont even know how or when I got it. I started reading it a couple years agoe, looking for something to suppliment my normal MA training. I was not a member of a gym, but at home I used a bench and curl set etc. I got away from the wieghts because of a severe injury in my elbow that ended up having tendonitis.

Anyway, what I noticed most from the routines was gains in muscle stamina. I wasnt really measuring for size or strengh, but I really noticed the ability to sustain work on the MA mat without the usual muscle fatigue, especially in my legs. So overall, Im pleased with the book and the routines. I tend to combine what I found most usefull with weights and regular MA training.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/04/2005 1:26am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I took circumference measurements again today (only relaxed, no flexing). They're at home and I'm at a friend's house right now, but to the best of my recollection, my measurements went up, despite my being 11 lbs lighter and quite a bit lower bodyfat.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567