Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 3:12am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Putting Dynamic Tension to the test

I was looking around on Amazon.com today and I came across a book entitled "Dynamic Strength" for like 6 bucks. It's about Dynamic Tension as a means of gaining strength, and has a bunch of exercises and routines and stuff in it.

I've lifted weights for a long time, and over the years I've heard of Dynamic Tension a few times, but for the most part thought it was bullshit, and never gave it much thought. After I ran across this book on Amazon though, and read all the reviews (which were all good except for one), I got kind of curious. And since it was only 6 bucks, I decided to buy it.

Anyway, the idea is that I'll put the Dynamic Tension training to the test. Before I start, I'll test my one-rep maxes on Bench Press, Deadlift, Military Press, Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions, and T-Bar Rows (I would do squats too, but I don't have a squat rack). This will gauge my starting point. As I progress with the Dynamic Tension training, I'll record my weight and possibly some other statistics daily. At one month intervals, I'll re-test my one rep maximums to see how much, if any, progress I've made. I would LIKE to be able to test my bodyfat percentage but I don't have access the the equipment necessary to do it accurately, and I would record my muscular definition, but that's very subjective, and thus hard to measure with any precision.

Of course, I would do my best to keep my eating habits and additional activity and all that about the same, so those factors don't influence the outcome.

So the questions I have are:

1) Is this something Bullshido members would like me to keep updated on, so as to get a rough idea of the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of this type of training, and

2) If so, are there any other aspects people would like me to record in the process?
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please. Do chest, waist, and limb measurements too while you're at it.

Also find a way to measure and record changes in the following....

dynamic full-range athletic strength, speed strength, starting strength, explosive strength, strength endurance, power, explosive power, "that loose power which kickboxers need", general agility, general speed.

Not only does one need all of these, but the development thereof hinges on how one does his resistance training. I won't explain these, as they are apparently self-evident enough to routinely (but with great conviction) speak of.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 11:03am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Putting Dynamic Tension to the test

Originally posted by TaeBo_Master
    1) Is this something Bullshido members would like me to keep updated on, so as to get a rough idea of the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of this type of training, and

2) If so, are there any other aspects people would like me to record in the process?
    1) Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

2) Would you write out your workout program now and the one you'll be doing. I'd like to see the difference in intensity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 12:19pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "and I would record my muscular definition, but that's very subjective, and thus hard to measure with any precision."

If you have a polaroid or a digital camera than you can ask someone to take pictures every week or every 2 weeks of yourself . In that way you can use the foto's to see your progress in muscular definition.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    y'all be MAS

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 12:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, understand this:
    You can only truly evaluate strength gain by testing on an equal scale.
    You will never out bench a guy doing bench with "dynamic tension" or isometrics, because while you are doing static strength he is DOING the BENCH press and devloping the gross motor skills that go with it.
    That is why you can't compare a squat with a leg press, or a chin up with a pull down.

An ideal workout would be one the works out ALL types of strength:
    Essentric, concentric and isometic.
    You would train till concentric failure, then eccentric and finally isometric.
    The reason most do NOT train that way is because it is TOO easy to over stress your muscles that way.
    Besides, most athletes train for a purpose and unless that purpose is to HOLD something for a long time, isometric is NOT the way for them.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Provided he doesn't actually train with (for example) the bench press, there's no reason he can't use that as a barometer. Test a max bench (not even neccesarily 1 rep) before your DT excursion, then do DT and then test the bench again. That's valid. Who said anything about comparing himself to someone else?

The only difference between concentric failure, eccentric failure, and isometric failure is the degree of achievable intensity....not the kinds of strength being developed.

Concentric/eccentric failure uses a mechanical disadvantage to stop your ass short achieving greater intensity aka muscle fiber inroads (concentric more than eccentric). Like Ronin alluded to, that's NOT neccesarily a bad thing.
    Last edited by Nid; 5/17/2004 12:56pm at .

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as keinhaar said, I would be comparing myself to myself, using the lifts as a measure of progress.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 1:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also find a way to measure and record changes in the following....

dynamic full-range athletic strength, speed strength, starting strength, explosive strength, strength endurance, power, explosive power, "that loose power which kickboxers need", general agility, general speed.
    I'd be totally down to do this, only thing is I don't really have a good idea how the quantify these. If anyone has any good ideas, I'd be up to adding them to the test.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I was trying to say was that, you can't compare the gains from isometric training to those from "regular" ST.
    If you are just using it to see IF you are progressing, fine, but don't use it to compare one type of ST to another.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast