Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Just seeing how dirty I can get my guns. I am testing out a new AR15 I recently finished putting together, as well as getting some time behind the Henry 45-70 I bought awhile back. I ended up having to send it back to the factory because of QC issues. Henry definitely took care of me, and got it back to me quickly.

Additionally putting rounds through my glock34, Rossi .357, and maybe my Ruger 22/45 but I'm running out of time.
    I owned a Mauser98 in 45-70. Kicked like a mule with the trajectory of a rainbow. Purchased at a pawn shop, the build was rough.

Was hoping you put a substantial amount of the above mentioned ammo through her. If so, would ask for promised photos to include one of your shoulder (:

Understandable if you didn't shoot that one a lot. Cost of ammo and all......

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    I owned a Mauser98 in 45-70. Kicked like a mule with the trajectory of a rainbow. Purchased at a pawn shop, the build was rough.

Was hoping you put a substantial amount of the above mentioned ammo through her. If so, would ask for promised photos to include one of your shoulder (:

I put about 40 rounds through it. I'll have to count my brass, but I think the round count at the end of the day was 42 or 43. I have a nice bruise, but it's not too bad. Really it's only from a few rounds where I didn't have the best shoulder weld. I bought a C2 rower in January and have been using it religiously, so I'm significantly better padded in my shoulder than I used to be.

It also helped that I mostly shot the lower power stuff. The Buffalo Bore ammo and other hotter stuff I have is physically painful to shoot, so the rounds I have left will last me a long time. At this point I'm pretty confident with the Henry out to 100 yards, but 200 is a stretch unless I'm shooting the "good" stuff. I know it can go out to 1000+, but I just don't have the eyes for it. I'll probably end up getting some Skinner peep sights on there eventually, and call it good.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple of weeks ago, I had mentioned in the "what did you do today thread" I had loaded up a bunch of light loads for my boys' .308 bolt guns (their hunting rifles). I ended up with just over 100 rounds. We loaded up the truck and headed to a friend's house where we were told the Columbine Ground-squirrels were plentiful.

The loads consisted of about 12 grains of Trail Boss under a 100 grain Hornady "short jacket" bullet.

I had tested them out at the range the week before our outing. All shot essentially ragged 1 hole groups at 25 yards.

The rounds are a bit louder than a .22 rimfire, recoil is just a gentle push, and muzzle blast is pretty much non-existent.

Well, squirrels were plenty plentiful.

The terrain was mixed woods and pasture, and we did spot and stalk in both. I was carrying my and Rayce's favorite shotgun, a Mossberg 500 (my older boys youth model, but with an adult sized wood stock attached).

My older son got a shot almost as soon as we closed the gate to the first pasture. He shot at a big one like this, offhand at about 60 yards.

I was a bit skeptical he would hit it, however, at the crack, the squirrel was flattened. I was curious as to what sort of damage was done by the bullet.

I won't publish the photo. Suffice it to say, if you wanted to eat ground-squirrel, this one was already gutted.

The same thing happened over and over again as both boys proceeded to plaster multiple squirrels for about 2 hours, at ranges from 20 feet out to 75 yards, most of them offhand and a couple sitting.

I got a couple with the shotgun as well. We had to leave as the squirrels were really starting to come out, though.

A good time was had by all, to say the least !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I hit the range, I hit the LGS to pick up some ammo. So I picked up some ammo, and something new to use it with. 15+1 of 45acp? Yes please.

I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post

Mauser K98. 45-70. I didn't know I wanted one before, but I do now!

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Before I hit the range, I hit the LGS to pick up some ammo. So I picked up some ammo, and something new to use it with. 15+1 of 45acp? Yes please.

For when you REALLY need to be sure that whatever you are shooting at will not survive.

Style
    Western Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Due to a stroke a few years back. I have a recoil restriction. I have a CZ model 550 in 9.3x 62(.366 cal.) . Legal for most Afagcan Big Game. My close shooting relatives and friends did not want me shooting it because of the recoil . In Gun Digest magzine, I found a recoil compenstater. looks like steel with 1 inch of rubber attached to two small shock asborbers . Now instead of idiots. cuts , just a gentle push.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    For when you REALLY need to be sure that whatever you are shooting at will not survive.
    Yes, because we all know that .45ACP will vaporize your innards and rape your soul. So sayeth the Gospel of JMB.
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm so sad that i don't get to shoot my 1911 yet.

.22LR plinking is not the same as sending 200grain hunks of soul raping lead downrange.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i'm so sad that i don't get to shoot my 1911 yet.

.22LR plinking is not the same as sending 200grain hunks of soul raping lead downrange.
    On that same note, you really have not lived until you've sent a few hot 405 and 500 grain loads of 45-70 or something similar toward something you don't terribly mind being in multiple small pieces afterward. I was hoping to pull an office space on our old printer with it this range trip, but the wife vetoed it. As she typically does anytime she sees that look of maniac glee on my face.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last