nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 2:20am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    STOP EATING SO MUCH GODDAMNED FOOD!

If your fat ass eats one quart of Hagen Dazs you must run 10 miles.
    walking burns about 90 calories per mile while running burns about 100.
    You can cardio all you want but you have to do what NHB_Ben said and take in less calories than you burn.

1 lb. of fat = approx. 3500 calories
    You must run 35 miles to lose a single pound.
    Welcome to hell.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 3:29am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TaeBo_Master and mike reese are correct. Excerise is a ineffcient and ineffective method of weight loss, for exactly the reasons mike reese mention. Regular excerise is great for keeping healthy and maintaining weight, but in order to lose the flab you need to reduce your caloric intake.

Also it should be pointed out that it is impossible to spot reduce without surgery. There is no way to target weight loss to a certain part of the body. If you diet the weight will come off, but you'll lose some in other areas too, including some muscle. If you keep excerising while dieting, it will slow the loss of muscle, but it will also slow loss of actual weight.

Lastly accept that some people are just not meant to be bodybuilders and have washboard abs and the like.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 3:36am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the long run, strength training can be a help to burning fat, because gaining muscle tissue increases your basal metabolism. And instense sustained cardio can help, because you can burn upwards of 800-1000 calories an hour (if you can last that long)... HOWEVER, exercise is only one part of the equation. Exercise is better suited to making you stronger, faster and have more stamina. Your diet is what's going to make or break your calorie deficit. You can exercise ALL YOU WANT, but if you eat more, you're not gonna lose any bodyfat.

Also, don't expect any FAST weight loss if you wanna lose fat. Your body does not like the idea of giving up its reserves of bodyfat, and does so very slowly. A pound to a pound and a half per week is about what you should expect. Any faster, and you're probably losing water or muscle weight. Also, keep up your strength training, so that your body is forced to maintain its muscle tissue, or else you're just as likely to lose muscle as you are fat.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 3:37am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Mike Reese said, bodyfat is 3500 calories per pound, so clearly you're not gonna lose that quickly. Muscle tissue on the other hand, is only 600 calories per pound. You CAN lose that pretty quickly. Don't let it happen.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 4:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mike is correct. If you want nice ripped abs you have to sacrifice or atleast cut back on some things from your diet, namely fats. (having a small amount of fat is good however, so don't go overboard and completely dismiss it from your diet)

You might also want to consider committing atleast one day of swimming to your fitness routine (if you have one) as it's a great way of dropping body fat.

Question: Are you doing the same ab exercises when you work out? If so, which ones?

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 4:44am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what it's worth, I was a competitive swimmer for twelve years before I switched to rowing in college. A swimming workout is a walk in the park compared to half an hour on the rowing machine.

But that's besides the point because I side with Taebo_master, mike reese, and punisher. Cardio's not going to burn your fat off. You need to increase your muscle mass so you're burning more calories around the clock.

And eat less.

Or just deal with the fact that a six-pack is an unrealistic goal for the majority of the population, an unhealthy body image forced upon us by the unrelenting pressure of media images.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 7:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LIPOSUCTION
    Why run? why diet?
    When you can have the fat vacumed out of you, no mess, no fuss and you can be back at Joe's all you can eat pig meat buffet, the very nexy day !!!

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 8:23am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by JKDChick
    Yeah, but running is the key, from what I've seen. Kickboxing is great cardio, but it's DIFFERENT cardio from running or rowing or stairs. It's the sustained effort that burns the fat deposits. Kickboxing isn't SUSTAINED cardio.

I learned this when I started my POPAT training.
    POPAT's a piece of cake. Just like the RCMP PARE test.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 10:23am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All these posts just so I can be right.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DIET!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2004 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you try the "cardio" route you will be disappointed. Why? Because it's a very time consuming, imprecise and compromised method of doing exactly that which dieting does; namely, create a calorie decefit. Now if burning calories was ALL cardio did, no problem. But you'll have a hard, if not impossible time, maintaining your muscle as well.

Jenfucius put it aptly. The body's tendency is to store energy, not burn it. That tendency is further compounded by subjecting it to the stress response. Do a google for the words cortisone, cortisol, glucocorticoids, adrenal cortex...put that in the context of "exercise" and draw your own conclusions.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast