Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo defence against strikers randori

hey
    anyone know of any style that trains Judo people to use Judo against strikers in a free fighting type of way.
    what I was thinking was more for self defence and a way to help Judoka become more skilled or perhaps quicker at using Judo against strikers
    than a MMA style.

If anyone knows of one, advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    :-)

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well not exactly but you can take a look at this
    KUDO Daido Juku
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cause seriously who doesn't want to see more

Also there is sport JuJutsu
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like funners.
    The masters perfected Karate. What fool is there today that can step forward and perfect perfection -- From the introduction to the book "Shoto-Kan Karate-The Ultimate in Self-Defense" written by Peter Ventresca

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Yes, a few weeks ago I discovered Kudo Daido Juku, which I read is a combo of Judo and Kyokushin Knockdown karate.
    I also recently discovered Nippon Kempo and Enshin Karate, which appear to be very similar. as well as SanShou and the sport or free fighting version of Combat Sambo.
    Although, what I am still looking for is a style that puts their focus more on Judo defence, where one person is restricted to striking and the other to Judo.
    I guess the Self Defence version of the Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jutsu is the closest thing. Although, from what I have seen/read, their emphasis is more on a selective amount of throws/takedowns and a lot of ground work. All which is excellent of course. however, i was wondering if there were any Judo guys out there that train like this but try and pull off the other Judo standing techniques.
    Thanks for the info.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    um nope not that I can think of. Judoka typically lack the striking skills to make such a thing meaningful anyways.
    Its sort of like the TDK crowd working on sprawling without anyone knowing how to do a proper penetration step for the double leg.
    But you can always go find yourself a boxer to practice with.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your reply.
    Sure. I agree generally with regards to many of the Judo guys not being useful to striking.
    Cant help thinking that with all the great developments in the Martial arts world. That Judo have neglected the self defence side.
    Which is ironic as from my small understanding, one of Prof Kano's desire was to develop a useful form of self defence
    before Judo was adopted as a global sport.

I grew up doing karate and kickboxing, so am used to getting hit and hitting. Just would like to be able to teach Judo for Self defence along side sport judo.
    Perhaps also along side the basic Gracie Combatives for self defence syllabus. :-) and basic striking.

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There should be a style called Combat Judo that focuses on street defense and dealing with strikers.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostdzog View Post
    Hi.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Yes, a few weeks ago I discovered Kudo Daido Juku, which I read is a combo of Judo and Kyokushin Knockdown karate.
    I also recently discovered Nippon Kempo and Enshin Karate, which appear to be very similar. as well as SanShou and the sport or free fighting version of Combat Sambo.
    Although, what I am still looking for is a style that puts their focus more on Judo defence, where one person is restricted to striking and the other to Judo.
    I guess the Self Defence version of the Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jutsu is the closest thing. Although, from what I have seen/read, their emphasis is more on a selective amount of throws/takedowns and a lot of ground work. All which is excellent of course. however, i was wondering if there were any Judo guys out there that train like this but try and pull off the other Judo standing techniques.
    Thanks for the info.
    The Welcome Mat guy's. John Saylor, Steve Scott, etc. Are all judo and sambo guys that have also don't a bit of self defense stuff.

So its basically their take of jiu jitsu. They call it shigatai jiu jitsu.

But depending what bjj school you go to you will have different level throwers. This being America there are a **** ton of wrestlers. I have decent throws. One of my teachers is in that rarefied air of grapplers that he does everything at a world class level , and knows everything.
    Another teacher does about 6 throws but he's so good at them he doesn't need anything else really.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool. thanks for the info. i shall look up teh Shigatai Jiu Jitsu. Sounds good.
    I live in UK, where wrestling isn't as popular as the US. Although there are some excellent martial artists, including an excellent MMA/BJJ club in my area.

However, i am kind of into the Judo at the mo, and really like the Japanese-ness (philosophy/"do"/Budo thing (without going too Samurai nuts), traditional etiquette , spirituality etc),
    that some MMA guys don't like so much (fair enough, each to their own).

I was thinking though, there must be room on the market for a Judo class that helps normal people defend themselves using Judo but not as intense or to the same level as top MMA fighters.
    (as a lot of normal people can't take the pace, and its arguable that the average person doesn't need to train at the same level as the worlds top mma competitors in order to defend themselves against an average untrained thug).

Thanks again for the advice, I shall look up your friends style. Sounds cool.
    P.s. Holly, Combat Judo does sound like a good name. Although wonder if the Gracies would come and beat me up if I started a system called that... hope not... :-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last