Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course one has to be careful and drill in an alive manner because one could end doing Aikido.

Style
    PTK & GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think one of the interesting things will be how they handle those people who earned blue belts from them prior to this. They didn't address that in their video, but I could see them handling it in a few different ways. First, I suppose they could move those who earned their blue belt online to the new Combatives Belt. However, at the same time, those people joined their group in good faith, met the standard they set, and then the rules were changed after the fact, which makes me wonder if they might just grandfather them in. The other option I could see is having them validate their belt via live testing by visiting a certified training center (Gracie Academy Affiliate, Pedro Sauer Affiliate, or Rickson Affiliate), or having them come to a seminar and testing them there. I think that giving the option of either validation or reversion to a Combatives belt is probably the best choice, but I am just thinking this through for the first time. I would imagine they have already had that discussion, but probably want to communicate it internally first.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    I think one of the interesting things will be how they handle those people who earned blue belts from them prior to this. They didn't address that in their video, but I could see them handling it in a few different ways. First, I suppose they could move those who earned their blue belt online to the new Combatives Belt. However, at the same time, those people joined their group in good faith, met the standard they set, and then the rules were changed after the fact, which makes me wonder if they might just grandfather them in. The other option I could see is having them validate their belt via live testing by visiting a certified training center (Gracie Academy Affiliate, Pedro Sauer Affiliate, or Rickson Affiliate), or having them come to a seminar and testing them there. I think that giving the option of either validation or reversion to a Combatives belt is probably the best choice, but I am just thinking this through for the first time. I would imagine they have already had that discussion, but probably want to communicate it internally first.
    I suspect they will be grandfathered in.

Once an instructor gives a promotion, he or she should not be allowed to take it back.

Otherwise, there would be too much abuse regarding using the threat of revocation of a belt as a control mechanism or as a form of retribution regarding business disagreements.

Style
    PTK & GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post

Once an instructor gives a promotion, he or she should not be allowed to take it back.

Otherwise, there would be too much abuse regarding using the threat of revocation of a belt as a control mechanism or as a form of retribution regarding business disagreements.
    Agreed. While I personally like the idea of having people validate their belts, I am fundamentally against altering the rules after the fact, and if someone earns something under the standards that you set, taking it away later is unjust in my view. I think this will probably sort itself out regardless of how it is handled in the short term. In the coming years, it will likely be common to ask someone if they earned their blue belt before or after the creation of the Combatives belt, and regardless of whether that happens or not, they will have to live test for any stripes or for purple.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    If the techiques are solid, does it matter if they are easy?
    Actually I suspect I would be able to show these techniques with enough "skill" once I knock some rust off my skill set.

I think a better idea would be to see if my wife who has very little experience would be able to show enough mastery of said techniques by doing the videos only.

To see how easily she can apply the techniques in an alive manner.

I will have to talk with her and see if she is game.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post

Isn't the "technical blue belt" basically the same program as the "blue stripe" combatives belt? Just send them a new belt...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will they have a combatives instructors belt next?
    I am not being snarky here, just a lot of their affiliates are run by Blue Belts.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    JuJitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who is relatively new to training in BJJ, and goes to a Gracie certified place to train, I like it. Sure, it will mean more time before I actually get my Blue, but one guy at the dojo is ready to test for Blue and just missed out. He isn't mad either.

IMO, if you're doing it for the belt, you're doing it wrong. Anything that makes the belt more meaningful when you get it is good.

Page 3 of 3 First 123