1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    9
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Boxing gloves - Synthetic Leather vs Cow Hide Leahter

    I want to buy boxing gloves and I have two options to buy. One is made of with synthetic leather and one is made of with cow hide leather. Which will be better and long lasting?

  2. #2
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,506
    Style
    MMA
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by martinroy View Post
    I want to buy boxing gloves and I have two options to buy. One is made of with synthetic leather and one is made of with cow hide leather. Which will be better and long lasting?
    As a rule, stay away from synthetic leather anything - boots, jackets, boxing gloves. Synthetic leather is essentially just plastic (hence the term "pleather"), and is extremely prone to tearing and flaking under stress.
    I (briefly) had a set of PU boxing gloves that every time you hit a pad, another flake would fall.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

  3. #3
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,502
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    As a rule, stay away from synthetic leather anything - boots, jackets, boxing gloves. Synthetic leather is essentially just plastic (hence the term "pleather"), and is extremely prone to tearing and flaking under stress.
    I (briefly) had a set of PU boxing gloves that every time you hit a pad, another flake would fall.
    I have to agree here 100%.

    When buying leather goods make sure something cool died and then make sure people did awesome things with the corpses. I know the synthetic ones supposedly get better each year but I have been cut and scraped and watched peoples cheap gear come apart time after time. From jinky matts and patch jobs to speed bags to boxing/mma gloves to strapon harnesses to whips and paddles to costumes to leather office chairs, and audition couches.

    Always buy leather if there is going to be rubbing and contact with humans. I mean unless plastic flecks in your eyes randomly or cracks and sharp edges magically showing up mid use are your thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  4. #4
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,641
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I have to agree here 100%.

    When buying leather goods make sure something cool died and then make sure people did awesome things with the corpses. I know the synthetic ones supposedly get better each year but I have been cut and scraped and watched peoples cheap gear come apart time after time. From jinky matts and patch jobs to speed bags to boxing/mma gloves to strapon harnesses to whips and paddles to costumes to leather office chairs, and audition couches.
    At some point, you just have to draw the line on belt testing.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

  5. #5
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,408
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 for leather.

    Velcro closures are nice too.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    9
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will go with "rdxsports.com/en_gb/rdx-quad-kore-leather-training-gloves" which is made of with cow hide leather and I think it is best for my training. what you say?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8
    Style
    Boxing/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    leather is still the gold standard for boxing gloves however there has been alot of companies going the synthetic route, as synthetic has been getting better over the years.

    http://www.gorillagear.ca/sparring-gloves

  8. #8
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,537
    Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GFG View Post
    nice review but it's been a while since we carried that model here is what we replace that headgear with

    http://www.gorillagear.ca/cheap-boxing-headgear
    Quote Originally Posted by GFG View Post
    leather is still the gold standard for boxing gloves however there has been alot of companies going the synthetic route, as synthetic has been getting better over the years.

    http://www.gorillagear.ca/sparring-gloves
    Have you considered a Business Membership? If you’re going to hock your wares here at least be on the same level playing-field that other distributors are on. That way it's not like, you know-----------spam.


    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    45
    Style
    Amateur boxing
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leather over synthetic, lace over velcro -- Generally speaking. If you're just trying out a class as a beginner, cheap synthetic training gloves are fine for a couple months before you've made any sort of commitment to a gym.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    6
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The leather is cow skin
    Synthetic is chemical human-made crap.
    If you are just a beginner synthetic gloves are fine for you.

    Thanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in