Page 8 of 12 First ... 456789101112 Last

Style
    dead lifting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Depends. In my brief foray into JJJ in the early 2000's, my instructor had a very legit Judo background. My impression at the time was that many others did as well.
    My experiance as well. First place I trained a grappling art was a JJJ place called combat JuJitsu in Minneapolis They rolled or did stand up every class. At the time I'm pretty sure the instructor would have rolled or sparred with anyone that came in.

Style
    MT, BJJ, BKB, Barfighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow that post is getting heaps of replies. I hadn't realized there was decent JJ out there, my only experiences of Japanese Ju Jutsu stuff was really crappy compliant stuff that doesn't really work. Hadn't seen some of the more effective stuff until now.

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Typically not in class per say.
    I almost always wear a black rash guard in class, NO one is going to mistake me for being a BJJ Black belt.
    I wear a batman styled black rash guard for no-gi. I'm still trying to convince people that I am the Batman.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    That is already a thing with white belts buying purple ranked rashguard because they like the color. The community is split on whether this is a problem.
    Lol i didnt even know this was a thing. I got 2 hyabusa rashies and one is black and the other black and purple. Unless it has a picture of a belt it shouldnt even be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

If it doesn't say BJJ on the belt, how would the average dip-wad consumer know it ?
    They wont, i didnt. When i first started i bought a cheap gi and pure white belt. Learnt about the stripes later on and eventually saw some high white belts and i was like oh **** i need to buy a proper belt.
    Last edited by Kravbizarre; 5/25/2016 11:07pm at .

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be clear, you can be a lefty or righty in Judo. For a front turning throw (think hip toss), a righty turns counter-clockwise, a lefty, clockwise. A righty typically leads with his right leg and right arm/hand. Lefty is opposite.

On the IJBJJF website, upcoming events, all of them have "IBJJF" in the title. The stuff I found on the "Irish Open" from 2015 didn't. I suspect the Irish Open and British Open are not IBJJF events...

British Nat'l 2016 - Logo Small (134x72)
    British National Jiu-Jitsu IBJJF Championship
    June 25th & 26th, 2016 - London, United Kingdom
    Register Now More info / Athlete List: by Academy / by Division
    The British Open was just the other week, so Iooks like it's not then. I looked over some of the podium pics and didn't see "IBJJF" in the background anywhere either.

Those are the two major ones here that seem to like copying their rules, so I guese that could possibly be one to yet catch on, if it does at all.

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    They wont, i didnt. When i first started i bought a cheap gi and pure white belt. Learnt about the stripes later on and eventually saw some high white belts and i was like oh **** i need to buy a proper belt.
    Black tape on a white belt works just as well as white tape on a black rank bar.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    You can use a piece of black adhesive fabric to make the bar.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody walks into our dojo and demands **** all of ****, Rayce. Giving in to that kind of crap is an invitation to disaster, whether somebody signs a waiver or not.
    I've been looking for a place to post this. Maybe it's been posted here before but I haven't seen it. It's only semi-relevant to the discussion but it'll make you shake your head.

Here's a video of a bunch of Gracies acting like gigantic fucking assholes in a Judo school. Specifically, trying to tell them how to run their own class and acting like the Judo guys are dick tucking when they're ready to move on to randori without continuing into ground work, just like any normal Judo class would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVdkug1ekiU

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I've been looking for a place to post this. Maybe it's been posted here before but I haven't seen it. It's only semi-relevant to the discussion but it'll make you shake your head.

Here's a video of a bunch of Gracies acting like gigantic fucking assholes in a Judo school. Specifically, trying to tell them how to run their own class and acting like the Judo guys are dick tucking when they're ready to move on to randori without continuing into ground work, just like any normal Judo class would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVdkug1ekiU
    We do not need to repeat nor glamorize the mistakes of the past committed by anybody, even celebrity figures.

Mike Tyson is a great fighter, but nobody got to be a better boxer by emulating the behaviors that ended up getting him incarcerated.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    We do not need to repeat nor glamorize the mistakes of the past committed by anybody, even celebrity figures.

Mike Tyson is a great fighter, but nobody got to be a better boxer by emulating the behaviors that ended up getting him incarcerated.
    I have absolutely no idea what your point is. If you thought I was glamorizing the Gracies' asshole behavior, you are mistaken.

Page 8 of 12 First ... 456789101112 Last