Page 5 of 12 First 123456789 ... Last
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,179
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Keep the rank bar off the belts and I am cool with it.
    Luta Livre players are issued black belts with a Rank Bar but this doesn't bother me. It's such an incestuous style and now the lineages are all intertwined. Marco Ruas is ranked in both and trains the N.U guys like Aldo,Penn,Rizo,etc.

    Everyone else can **** off in my opinion. Any other wearers of the bjj rank bar belts are clear fakers of the funk and its a clear case of shenanigans.
    If another style customarily uses rank bars as their normal practice,
    then there is not much we can or even should say about it.
    We don't own the system of wearing Gi's, using belts for ranks, or having bars on belts.
    If they say they have a BJJ rank, or say that they are teaching BJJ while wearing a black belt with a red bar when they have no such BJJ rank, then that is deceptive, fraudulent, and tacky.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,179
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Wear the belt you earned in the subject you are teaching. Wear the belt you earned in the subject you earned it in when you are training the subject in which you earned the belt.

    I wear a white belt when I am at BJJ class. I wear a black belt when I am doing judo. If a BJJ instructor asked me to teach Judo at a BJJ class as a guest, I'd wear my judo black belt, assuming that I would be announced as a judo black belt who will be teaching Judo, however similar it might be to BJJ.

    I don't doubt the guy in the "belt exposed" story was trying to "cash in" on associating himself with BJJ by wearing a BJJ branded uniform. That's par for the course. The bjj blue belt storming his dojo is an asshole IMO in any case. He's trespassing, has no authority to question anything the guy does, what he wears, what he claims to teach directly or indirectly by association with a uniform.

    There is no NGB for BJJ, no real regulation, no controlling authority for rank. It's essentially a for-profit free for all.
    I would also point out that by custom (and under many of the major BJJ tournament rulesets),
    it is against the rules for a Judo black belt to compete in a BJJ tournament as a white belt.
    Usually they are expected to be entered as at least a blue belt,
    and potentially higher if appropriate.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,179
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    An irate stranger storms into your business/property and wants to "roll" ? I'd tell him to **** off and leave. Who knows what his intentions are ?
    I know many retired NHB fighters that were and are real ass kickers on the mats who follow this policy
    (tell him to leave and/or call the police if they don't) in their school.
    The retired professional NHB fighters usually know better than to spend any time on amateur nut wannabes.
    There is zero upside to giving them a free roll / ass-whipping but a large potential downside.

  4. #44
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,437
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does it matter what it says on the gi?







    How about one of these, would this imply rank for Judo?


  5. #45
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I would also point out that by custom (and under many of the major BJJ tournament rulesets),
    it is against the rules for a Judo black belt to compete in a BJJ tournament as a white belt.
    Usually they are expected to be entered as at least a blue belt,
    and potentially higher if appropriate.
    Aren't those IBJJF rules ? Reasonable, in any case. The only safety issues I could see for a judo black belt as a black belt in BJJ comp would be leg locks and not knowing when to tap. The rest of it is not an issue, any competent judo black belt knows when to tap out.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #46
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,784
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I know is that its a pain in the ass trying to figure out where other grappling systems should compete at in BJJ competition.

    Especially Judoka, I have met Black Belt Judoka that are down right terrible on the ground. I mean just fucking aweful like not knowing which way the thumb should be pointing when doing a straight arm bar awful.
    I have met some that can keep up pretty well.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  7. #47
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I would also point out that by custom (and under many of the major BJJ tournament rulesets),
    it is against the rules for a Judo black belt to compete in a BJJ tournament as a white belt.
    Usually they are expected to be entered as at least a blue belt,
    and potentially higher if appropriate.
    True story

  8. #48
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,544
    Style
    Jits
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Typically not in class per say.
    I almost always wear a black rash guard in class, NO one is going to mistake me for being a BJJ Black belt.
    Better safe than sorry, it seems the BJJihad is back.

  9. #49
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    All I know is that its a pain in the ass trying to figure out where other grappling systems should compete at in BJJ competition.

    Especially Judoka, I have met Black Belt Judoka that are down right terrible on the ground. I mean just fucking aweful like not knowing which way the thumb should be pointing when doing a straight arm bar awful.
    I have met some that can keep up pretty well.
    Rank in Judo has a range of skill and knowledge, and paths. How much would you expect a non-competitor path judoka who only does kata and earns most of his/her rank via helping out at tournaments to be ? Most judo promotion tests are "show this technique", not "show me how to get to the point of application of said technique (lets say, Juji Gatame) on a resisting equally skilled opponent".

    To me, safety is the primary consideration. A normal, competitive shodan should probably not compete with white belts in a BJJ competition, mostly because the BJJ white belts are likely to get tossed pretty hard on thing hard mats and don't have much falling experience. Above that, it's a matter of specific rules. Are neck cranks allowed ? The judoka realizes that his head may get pulled back to sink a choke, hands on face is OK ? If leg locks are allowed, or neck cranks, it starts getting dicey for a judo black belt, as we don't have experience with those things in general.

    I had a purple belt put a choke on my jaw Monday night. Of course, I tapped, because I value my teeth. I didn't get mad, because I know that's going to happen in BJJ, and if I want to, I can apply a facelock right back. However, that's not my style, so I don't.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #50
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,784
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    To me, safety is the primary consideration. A normal, competitive shodan should probably not compete with white belts in a BJJ competition, mostly because the BJJ white belts are likely to get tossed pretty hard on thing hard mats and don't have much falling experience. Above that, it's a matter of specific rules. Are neck cranks allowed ? The judoka realizes that his head may get pulled back to sink a choke, hands on face is OK ? If leg locks are allowed, or neck cranks, it starts getting dicey for a judo black belt, as we don't have experience with those things in general.
    Like I said its tricky cause even at white belt the straight ankle lock is allowed and a Blue Belt still doesn't necessarily know how to fall.
    As terrible as some of the ground work I have seen in Judo the stand up work in BJJ has been equally if not even more so aweful.
    However in competive BJJ I can flop on my butt if I know someone is a Judoka or if I can see they are getting the better of me in the stand up portion of grappling.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Page 5 of 12 First 123456789 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in