Page 3 of 12 First 1234567 ... Last
  1. #21
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I agree with everything you said but rolling is a staple for bjj. If you refuse to roll with someone it's pretty clear you're a hack. Anyone can come ask me to roll when ever. They were both able bodied young men close in weight.
    An irate stranger storms into your business/property and wants to "roll" ? I'd tell him to **** off and leave. Who knows what his intentions are ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #22
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So what ? It's not illegal to claim to teach BJJ. No license is needed to teach BJJ. It's an unregulated martial art/combat sport as far as I know.
    It's not illegal to leave bad business reviews and state your opinions on the Internet either.
    So they can pretend to be bjj guys legally and I can say they are under qualified and are imo attempting to defraud the public with the sign.
    The guy that owns the school is taking down the bjj sign. All is well in my opinion.

  3. #23
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Pretty much. If you buy a belt that says "bjj belt" on the package and you're haven't been given that rank than you're tryin to trick people imo.
    On the package ? A plain black belt with red rank bars is monopolized by BJJ ? Are they trademarked ?

    Now, if a guy has a black belt that says "BJJ" on it, sure, that's clear misrepresentation. Rank bars though ? I mean, how would the average consumer even know they are rank bars ?

    Martial arts businesses are pretty much unregulated in the USA.

    I'm for sure against consumer fraud, however, all this angst about rank bars is kind of silly. If a karate black belt advertises to teach BJJ and has not training, that's fraud/deception. However, some asshole blue belt has no right or authority to barge into the dojo and demand to fight/roll or whatever.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #24
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,247
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Coming soon: Be cautious about the color of the t-shirt you wear for no-gi grappling.
    That is already a thing with white belts buying purple ranked rashguard because they like the color. The community is split on whether this is a problem.

  5. #25
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    It's not illegal to leave bad business reviews and state your opinions on the Internet either.
    So they can pretend to be bjj guys legally and I can say they are under qualified and are imo attempting to defraud the public with the sign.
    The guy that owns the school is taking down the bjj sign. All is well in my opinion.
    See my post below...

    Bad review on Internet, fine and dandy. Dojo storming, not so much. Advertising you teach BJJ when you don't, bad. WEaring a BJJ uniform, BFD.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #26
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    An irate stranger storms into your business/property and wants to "roll" ? I'd tell him to **** off and leave. Who knows what his intentions are ?
    You're certainly allowed to.
    If they were rude and disruptive I would remove them from the class.
    If they took class, I would make him say uncle and smile the whole time or tap if he caught me.
    If I claimed to be an elite Muay Thai fighter I think it would be reasonable for someone with experience to want to kickbox at some point.

  7. #27
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    That is already a thing with white belts buying purple ranked rashguard because they like the color. The community is split on whether this is a problem.
    I don't care about shirts. That's something for the pot heads to worry about.

  8. #28
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    On the package ? A plain black belt with red rank bars is monopolized by BJJ ? Are they trademarked ?

    Now, if a guy has a black belt that says "BJJ" on it, sure, that's clear misrepresentation. Rank bars though ? I mean, how would the average consumer even know they are rank bars ?

    Martial arts businesses are pretty much unregulated in the USA.

    I'm for sure against consumer fraud, however, all this angst about rank bars is kind of silly. If a karate black belt advertises to teach BJJ and has not training, that's fraud/deception. However, some asshole blue belt has no right or authority to barge into the dojo and demand to fight/roll or whatever.
    Bjj belts are specifically meant to be different. You can't purchase a bjj style belt that doesn't call it a bjj belt.
    Clothes can't be trade marked only logos and emblems.

  9. #29
    Nutcracker, sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,043
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So what ? It's not illegal to claim to teach BJJ. No license is needed to teach BJJ. It's an unregulated martial art/combat sport as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Bjj belts are specifically meant to be different. You can't purchase a bjj style belt that doesn't call it a bjj belt.
    Clothes can't be trade marked only logos and emblems.
    This will all sort itself out once we mandate sub-dermal identity chips.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    302
    Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    That is already a thing with white belts buying purple ranked rashguard because they like the color. The community is split on whether this is a problem.
    Wait. Rashguard colors are supposed to match belt rank? I've never heard that.

Page 3 of 12 First 1234567 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in