Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2004 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Terry Gibson Silat Videos?

I was thinking of ordering Stevan Plinck's Silat video, but my old sifu recommended Terry Gibson's. I found some articles about Gibson, but nothing about his videos, not even on E-Bay or Amazon. Are any of you familiar with Terry Gibson and / or his tape(s)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 5:09pm

Style: Multiple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashomon
    I was thinking of ordering Stevan Plinck's Silat video, but my old sifu recommended Terry Gibson's. I found some articles about Gibson, but nothing about his videos, not even on E-Bay or Amazon. Are any of you familiar with Terry Gibson and / or his tape(s)?
    I know this is an older post, but you can contact Darrian Whittaker at 918-627-8866 and ask about video availability - they're EXTREMELY hard to come by.

Terry Gibson (passed away in 1997) is one of only 15 people in the world to be certified as a full instructor by Guro Dan Inosanto... and beyond martial arts, an incredible man and my teacher.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 7:47pm

Style: xingyi, bagua, bjj, kali,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gibsons silat was pretty good, i have some of the vids, but havent lookaed at them in a few years. he did some legite struff with suwanda also. cant say nothing bad about anyone whos not here, he is well respected, and my hats off to all his family.
    problem with most sialt is that its not trained realistically, i studied it for years, and if you take the techniques, and practice against unwilling opponents, eventually you will get it. i have seen very few people use silat effectively against another skilled grappler or kickboxer type.
    im sure it can be done, its a great art

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info. I'll give the guy a call.

"problem with most sialt is that its not trained realistically, i studied it for years, and if you take the techniques, and practice against unwilling opponents, eventually you will get it. i have seen very few people use silat effectively against another skilled grappler or kickboxer type.
    im sure it can be done, its a great art"

Yeah. That's whay my instructor says when I bring up Silat. Personally, I think it *can* work, but it will require more training than some of the other styles. The Silat blocking, entries, and follow-ups are more involved than just slipping a punch or doing a high cover.

Still, I really like the principles involved, and I want to work some of them into my MT / grappling game. I am intrigued by twisting my opponent or otherwise offsetting his balance and then sweeping the feet. I also think some of the Silat principles could help me in the clinch.

Anyway, I got some Bob Orlando videos - "Fighting Ars of Indonesia" and his 3-DVD series on "The Fighting Footwork of Kuntao and Silat". I have only watched the first video, but I liked what I saw. Orlando does an excellent job of breaking things down and explaining them. I'll just have to sift through his material to find things that I can use and get to work for my own game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 12:49am

Style: xingyi, bagua, bjj, kali,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    check out suwandas tapes, i trained his style for many years

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 9:23am

Style: Multiple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HONEST BOY
    check out suwandas tapes, i trained his style for many years
    www.suwandaacademy.com

Although Terry taught Silat as a staple of what we do, we used it in a JKD concepts mode - Muay Thai or Jun Fan/JKD from long range (and medium to short), closing to medium or short range and using Kali/Silat. It definitely is more involved and takes more timing and precision to pull some of the stuff off, but it is so devastating once you get it down. Just like any martial art, there are so many great things to learn that you can encompass in your arsenal.

I think the tapes you're instructor was telling you about are the Maphilindo tapes - I believe there are 6 of them and they're awesome. He breaks things down very well and makes it easy to understand - and best of all shows practical street application.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 12:12pm

Style: pentjak silat/ kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Rash/ Honest Boy-

This is my first post here, but I felt compelled to join in this discussion, as y'all are talking about Silat. Anyway, I don't know anything about Terry Gibson, but Steven Plinck's stuff comes highly recommended. I've never seen his videos, but aparently he's one of Paul De Thouars' oldest students, and quite a skilled practitioner.

I'm not much for MA videos myself, but two that I find particularly good are Tristan Sutrisno's videos http://www.silat-video.com/ He's kind of off the radar and low key, but I trained with him at a seminar once, and I was very impressed. Vol. 1 is empty hand and vol. 2 is stick and knife it would appear. The only thing I'd say is lacking in his material is that it's a bit weak on groundfighting, although Tristan's style is a straight "traditional" Silat style (Tjimande), unlike mine which is a hybrid of a few.

Also, I agree with Rash that there is definitely a lack of realistic training in a lot of Silat. Many practitioners cop to that annoying "the techniques are too deadly to spar with" excuse. Silat takes a LOT of practice to pull off, especially the more esoteric arts like Harimau. Luckily the system I train in (Amerindo Self Defense) is low on art and high on fighting.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm no expert, but I definitely try to do my homework when it comes to SE Asian MA's.

Posted On:
    12/10/2006 10:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Escrima & Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

About Guru Tristan sutrisno

Hello, I was wondering how to get in touch with Guru Tristan Sutrisno. I tried to contact some old site of his but it's not available anymore. I would like to be able to purchase his tapes if they are still available, and to learn more about Silat. Is he still in the Pennslyvania area?
    Any contact information will be greatly appreciated. Thank You