Page 2 of 15 First 12345612 ... Last

Thread: Opinions needed

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might be better off taking a few privates with your own club and ask the instructor to work on take downs with you.

The rules in Judo and BJJ are different enough to warrant different strategy in your choice of throw and even how you preform a throw.
    Things like grips you can take.
    See this thread
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125322
    and the article from that thread
    http://travis-stevens.com/2016/03/03...ant-learn-bjj/
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1-3 weeks out from a tournament is the time you shouldn't be doing anything new, since you probably won't be able to apply anything new after so little practice, and because experimenting can lead to injury. If I were you, I'd be working on bread-and-butter stuff.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    You might be better off taking a few privates with your own club and ask the instructor to work on take downs with you.

The rules in Judo and BJJ are different enough to warrant different strategy in your choice of throw and even how you preform a throw.
    Things like grips you can take.
    See this thread
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125322
    and the article from that thread
    http://travis-stevens.com/2016/03/03...ant-learn-bjj/
    Agreed to some degree. There's also enough cross over that it'd a worthwhile endeavor.

The Georgian style is great if you are a tall player. Leg shots are good if you are shorter player. Of course this is all relative to your weight class. 5"10 isn't tall imo, buts it's tall for 140lbs.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Agreed to some degree. There's also enough cross over that it'd a worthwhile endeavor.
    Yeah, I certainly don't disagree with this, Judo is fantastic, however if one wants to do Judo they should be doing it for Judo and be happy with the skills that do cross over, they should have an actual plan to add Judo as a regular part of ones training and go and participate in Judo competition.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ray: 5'6 and 154 pounds

@sub: yeah im expecting to loose thats the problem. I just scared of loosing before anything starts. Im guessing this is normal for somone who hasnt competed before.

@goodlun: my proffessor charges a ridiculous rate for private lessons (from what ive seen as the going rate, he charges more than double that. Hes extremely skilled and talented but its a lot of cash to drop in one hit).

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post

@sub: yeah im expecting to loose thats the problem. I just scared of loosing before anything starts. Im guessing this is normal for somone who hasnt competed before.

@goodlun: my proffessor charges a ridiculous rate for private lessons (from what ive seen as the going rate, he charges more than double that. Hes extremely skilled and talented but its a lot of cash to drop in one hit).
    Average-ish for that height. Single legs and double legs. They are pretty easy to learn and Hard to master like any grappling.

Last edited by Raycetpfl; 4/28/2016 4:27pm at .

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have any open mat time at your school? Its also not a bad time to work with someone on take downs.
    Over all though the good news is in BJJ the take down is only 2 points, and your facing another white belt, odds are they are not going to get a nice clean one to side control.
    Most takedowns you can recover guard and get to work.
    Play your game.
    A take down is a bit more important to playing your game if you are a high pressure top game player.
    If that is the case you need to dedicate some time to having take downs as part of your game, and not just for your up coming matches.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Like we said, it's for experience, not world championships. It will take a while for you to settle down. In the meantime, you will find out firsthand what your weak areas are.

I suspect conditioning will be at the top of the list, as usual.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of thing I would highly recommend if you can arrange it would be a couple of mock matches before you go.
    Its funny how much different a mock match is than rolling.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    One of thing I would highly recommend if you can arrange it would be a couple of mock matches before you go.
    Its funny how much different a mock match is than rolling.
    Yeah, I do that for my students who are going to a shiai for the first time. Complete with ref and rules enforced.

The change in intensity level is amazing...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 15 First 12345612 ... Last