Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... Last

Thread: Opinions needed

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Opinions needed

So i got 2 bjj comps coming up. 1 next saturday that is white belt only round robin contest at a local mma gym that hold a comp every month (alternating from colored belts, kids and then white). It'll be my first comp where ill be competing (was at the victorian championships last weekend supporting classmates and watching everyone else).

The next comp im competing in is in 3 weeks and its an inhouse comp thats only for members of affiliated schools of the organisation my school is under.

So here is what i need an opinion on or tips. Im thinking of doing some private lessons in judo to get some practise on a few throws. Ive learn a few throws in the past and for some reason feel more comfortable standing than doing single/double leg take downs which i know well enough. There are some people who play better from the top or bottom. I prefere top as i can usually maintain the position better and i suck at sweeps.

I been doing bjj for almost 5 months and train 6-8 hours a week.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    So i got 2 bjj comps coming up. 1 next saturday that is white belt only round robin contest at a local mma gym that hold a comp every month (alternating from colored belts, kids and then white). It'll be my first comp where ill be competing (was at the victorian championships last weekend supporting classmates and watching everyone else).

The next comp im competing in is in 3 weeks and its an inhouse comp thats only for members of affiliated schools of the organisation my school is under.

So here is what i need an opinion on or tips. Im thinking of doing some private lessons in judo to get some practise on a few throws. Ive learn a few throws in the past and for some reason feel more comfortable standing than doing single/double leg take downs which i know well enough. There are some people who play better from the top or bottom. I prefere top as i can usually maintain the position better and i suck at sweeps.

I generally like people to be totally comfortable with falling and also be comfortable hitting a few high percentage takedowns before they compete.

There are many direct and indirect benefits to this.

Good Luck!

Style
    Kendo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is great but you are not going to acquire competition-useful skill in 3 weeks.

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefere top as i can usually maintain the position better and i suck at sweeps.
    How are you at passing? It might be worth spending time on defending takedowns over that time, to pass the guard for top position?!
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    How are you at passing? It might be worth spending time on defending takedowns over that time, to pass the guard for top position?!
    Im ok for my experience level at minimum ill end up in a half guard from a closed one. Against colored belts i get wrecked but against other whites i do well. I only know 2 closed guard passes and only 1 is reliable.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically it's comes down to a game plan. Takedown or pull guard? Pick one and get to it immediately. Sweep, pass and submit, have an A path and a B path and get at it. It's not about learning a new trick before competition, it's about having your game drilled to the point where no one can stop you.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Height and weight?
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 4/28/2016 10:32am at .

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    Basically it's comes down to a game plan. Takedown or pull guard? Pick one and get to it immediately. Sweep, pass and submit, have an A path and a B path and get at it. It's not about learning a new trick before competition, it's about having your game drilled to the point where no one can stop you.
    #science

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You'd be better off in the long run to do some Judo, but in the short term, what Plasma said...

Plus, it's white belts only and then an in-house tournament, and they will be your first two. It's for experience more than anything else.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just count these as experience. Don't bother with learning throws, at this point. Pull guard, and work your game from there. Relax, take your time, and enjoy the experience. Train to win using only the things you already have in your arsenal, but expect to lose.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... Last