Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011
  1. #101

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,359
    Style
    Judo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    There would be a LOT more kids doing Judo in the USA if more people took your approach...
    Thank you. My practicum for my master's degree was developing adaptive curricula for for adult learners with co morbid intellectual and physical impairments. My junior student's favorite exercise is called slaughter ball. They start at one end of the mats, I drop a rag, and they forward breakfall into an army crawl. First one to grab the rag doesn't have to do pushups. You are allowed to grab, pull, climb over/under, or restrain your opponents. Many times, two kids will grab the fastest crawler and pin him down so a slower kid can get out of pushups for a change.

    It didn't take to long for my Juniors to get sick pinning games. Now, most ippons scored by juniors in sparring are from pins.

    I'm a firm believer in teaching Miyagi style. Teach them skills without them realizing they are learning skills. In their minds, they are playing games.

  2. #102
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,781
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omoplatypus View Post
    Thank you. My practicum for my master's degree was developing adaptive curricula for for adult learners with co morbid intellectual and physical impairments. My junior student's favorite exercise is called slaughter ball. They start at one end of the mats, I drop a rag, and they forward breakfall into an army crawl. First one to grab the rag doesn't have to do pushups. You are allowed to grab, pull, climb over/under, or restrain your opponents. Many times, two kids will grab the fastest crawler and pin him down so a slower kid can get out of pushups for a change.

    It didn't take to long for my Juniors to get sick pinning games. Now, most ippons scored by juniors in sparring are from pins.

    I'm a firm believer in teaching Miyagi style. Teach them skills without them realizing they are learning skills. In their minds, they are playing games.
    Exactly. Your practices are well-aligned with established long-term athlete development models.

    If kids don't have fun, they won't come back.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,359
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Exactly. Your practices are well-aligned with established long-term athlete development models.

    If kids don't have fun, they won't come back.
    Now if I could figure out how to make living off this....

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    302
    Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Honestly, even a "bad karate" place who gives proper instruction and cares for the students can be the correct choice.

    I wish people understood that about Bullshido.

    Teach, promote and learn whatever you want, just be honest. This school isn't producing asskickers, but decent light contact foot taggers with extra safety gear. Which is perfect for the situation as long as the instruction is good, and the student is happy and safe and learning.

    So ^5 to BigJim. I am glad ya'll are having fun and learning and thank for the updates and videos.
    And now we have to make a choice on how to move on. This school does kids up to age 12; age 13 and up are adults. My daughter turns 13 in a few months, and the head instructor told our instructor that she needs to move up immediately because she's so big. Our instructor is afraid she will find sparring with adults far more challenging and is worried she could get hurt. He has offered to allow her to do one more kid's class session, but not attend the tournament, and he'll still promote her (she'll get her blue soon, then purple at the end of the year).

    I certainly understand both points of view, but I hate for her to give it up. She has made some amazing progress, gained confidence, and she's having more fun than any other activity she's tried.

    So suggestions for what to do next?
    I'm currently leaning toward having her try a session as an adult. Unfortunately, she'd start over as a white belt and the belt promotion was very important for her. They focus more on kata than on sparring for white & yellow belt adults. She loves to dance, so I think she could learn the kata with enough repetition. Or we could try a different art. Back to the MMA school (assuming she'd still be in the kids classes there)? Judo?

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    182
    Style
    Judo and HEMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim520 View Post
    And now we have to make a choice on how to move on. This school does kids up to age 12; age 13 and up are adults. My daughter turns 13 in a few months, and the head instructor told our instructor that she needs to move up immediately because she's so big. Our instructor is afraid she will find sparring with adults far more challenging and is worried she could get hurt. He has offered to allow her to do one more kid's class session, but not attend the tournament, and he'll still promote her (she'll get her blue soon, then purple at the end of the year).

    I certainly understand both points of view, but I hate for her to give it up. She has made some amazing progress, gained confidence, and she's having more fun than any other activity she's tried.

    So suggestions for what to do next?
    I'm currently leaning toward having her try a session as an adult. Unfortunately, she'd start over as a white belt and the belt promotion was very important for her. They focus more on kata than on sparring for white & yellow belt adults. She loves to dance, so I think she could learn the kata with enough repetition. Or we could try a different art. Back to the MMA school (assuming she'd still be in the kids classes there)? Judo?
    Always willing to put a plug for grappling in there. That being said, I would like to point out that 13 and up, depending on size, with some experience, is not uncommon for moving children to the adult class. They usually have to almost start over no matter what colored belt they wear as it is WAY more difficult now, but it is ok because as they continue to grow and learn the additional challenges on their bodies makes them better martial artists and fighters.

    So, please let her try an adult class or 2, for a while, and only if she expresses an interest in trying a new MA should you send her to the nearest quality Judo or BJJ school with all alacrity. :D

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,359
    Style
    Judo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normally, I would say that she should stay in the class where her mental age is equal to the other students, but with sparring, her size is going to be a liability.

    Let her do the adult class for a bit, and do your homework about other martial arts schools in the area. As much as I love judo over BJJ, BJJ has a much softer learning curve for beginners. There might also be other karate or TKD schools in the area that can work with her.

    The key is to get on the phone and make the calls.

  7. #107
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Putting my daughter in Karate am I doing her a great dis service

    I apologise, but it absolutely another. Who else, what can prompt?

  8. #108
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,784
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would she really need to start over with the whole belts thing? I mean she is still a kid, it seems like a discussion with the instructor to keep her using the kids belts even if she is in the adult class doesn't seem unreasonable.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    11 is a good age to start IMO. As long as the sensei / teachers are mature I think it's always a good thing for kids :)

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2
    Style
    Judo Muay Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training in the martial arts did the obvious for me.
    It made me fall in love with and respect exercise. Not only to strengthen the body, but the mind and spirit as well.

Page 11 of 11 First ... 7891011

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in