Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Mike Gray

Style
    Japanese Ju Jitsu BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, sorry to have posted and run. A busy day. This is my 3rd attempt to reply to you. Thank you all for taking the supplies. I've not read properly yet but will.

When I first looked at the site my thoughts were that he was offering BJJ as classes and I could be graded in it. I suffer from severe anxiety so not sure I could ever compete. And because of the anxiety I need to be able to trust the instructor. I need to trust before I call - how silly huh?

On the globetrotters site it says:
    We don’t pay each other any affiliation fees
    We wear any patches we like on our gis
    We are free to represent any (or no) team in competition
    We encourage training with anyone regardless of affiliation
    We are willing to promote anyone who deserves it—members or not
    We arrange camps, seminars and visit each other for training and fun
    We believe everyone is equal both on and off the mats
    We strive to enjoy life, people and the world through Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

So any instructor can assess and grade - I would take this that Mike Gray has been assessed by one of them so ok to teach and grade? That is how it seems to me. But I don't know enough - it's only when I mentioned to a friend that he said he'd heard negative stuff about Gray. I can't really find much info on him. He's under team Archangel on the Globetrotters - which I took to mean he was the instructor. Surely to have a team, you need an instructor? I'm confused by all this I admit.

Style
    KK TKD GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmma View Post
    Hi, sorry to have posted and run. A busy day. This is my 3rd attempt to reply to you. Thank you all for taking the supplies. I've not read properly yet but will.

When I first looked at the site my thoughts were that he was offering BJJ as classes and I could be graded in it. I suffer from severe anxiety so not sure I could ever compete. And because of the anxiety I need to be able to trust the instructor. I need to trust before I call - how silly huh?

So any instructor can assess and grade - I would take this that Mike Gray has been assessed by one of them so ok to teach and grade? That is how it seems to me. But I don't know enough - it's only when I mentioned to a friend that he said he'd heard negative stuff about Gray. I can't really find much info on him. He's under team Archangel on the Globetrotters - which I took to mean he was the instructor. Surely to have a team, you need an instructor? I'm confused by all this I admit.
    Why don't you email globetrotters and ask about him?

Style
    Japanese Ju Jitsu BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have emailed them. No reply as yet.

Style
    Se-Jong TKD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The club is affiliated with BJJGlobtrotters: http://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/port...eam-archangel/

The affiliation requirements are more philosophical than anything else: http://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/affiliated-academies/

The requirements for the BJJ Globetrotters affiliated academies are few and simple:

– Understand, follow and spread the values of BJJ Globetrotters
    – Welcome anyone to come train, regardless of affiliation, etc.
    – Never deny members to go train somewhere else
    – Give at least one week of for free training for traveling BJJ Globetrotters members

It is, and always will be, 100% free to affiliate with our team. If you own an academy and is interested in becoming a part of BJJ Globetrotters, please email us at [email protected] and include a short description of your place, a link to your website and a logo.
    I can't find anything where Mike Gray claims rank in BJJ.

He does claim to teach JKD and drops Dan Inosanto's name quite a bit. He has the obligatory picture with Dan and claims to be a "CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR UNDER GURO DAN INOSANTO AND THE INOSANTO ACADEMY U.S.A ". However, he isn't listed as an International Instructor of the IAMA: http://inosanto.com/?page_id=97.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions. The website seems to be missing some content and some of the links don't work. They might be in the middle of making some changes. I'm not a part of either the JKD or BJJ communities, there might honestly be "nothing to see here..."

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmma View Post

You have to be a black belt to grade in bjj ultimately. A lower belt instructor can promote at the behest of a blackbelt but that's that really. No blackbelt. .... no legit grading.

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mike Gray/Globetrotters/JKD

Hello All
    It is with disappointment that I have been informed about this thread. Instead of asking empty question on the net, which we all know can be full of empty knowledge.
    Why did't the person involved just call me and I could have explained the whole situation to them.

Please let me explain as below:

I teach Ju Jitsu which I began learning in 1966.
    The system which I learnt was primarily Throws,Punching,Kicking, Locks, Ground Fighting....along with weapons (Japanese Ju Jitsu)
    I and my school were members of the World Jin Jitsu Federation under Soke Robert Clarke.We then became affiliated with British Jiu Jitsu Association GB.
    Many years ago we began to move away from the Japanese Jiu Jitsu form of competition because we preferred the grapple elements of tourneys.
    I contacted Christian who runs the Globetrotters, to enquire with regard to affiliation.
    I explained to him that we were NOT A BJJ CLUB, but a Japanese style who liked the format of bjj tournaments.
    I was open and honest with him and explained that we would like to affiliate and compete in IBJJF COMPETITION.
    Obviously as most of BBJ people know you must be in a team to be able to actually compete.
    Therefore we affiliated as Team Archangel....you will see that he has hundreds of academies registered under individual names however the umbrella name is Globetrotters.
    I was given the opportunity to attend BJJ courses by Christian in order to increase our knowledge of BJJ...and he explained that students not only of our academy, but any academy could be promoted if the reached the required standard..(not online or over the phone!!!).
    We have not actually competed for sometime and have drifted away from BJJ.
    As for the JKD...l have been involved in this since 1978 when Guro Bob Breen brought Dan Inosanto to the United Kingdom for the very first time.
    I trained with Bob on and off for many years...and eventually became an instructor under Sifu Richard Bustillo in 1995.
    After which I became part of the Minnesota Kali Group under Sifu Rick Faye. After being with Sifu Rick for many years, he referred me to Guro Dan for Instructorship with him.
    I have been an instructor under Guro Dan since 2005 and l'm truly honoured to have met and studied under him.
    I do hope this fully explains the situation.
    Last edited by Rapture; 10/16/2017 3:21pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you still wish to do BJJ...try ultimate Bjj who's in Chandlersford ..Prof Graham Day

Page 2 of 2 First 12