Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found paddleboarding and Indian clubs to be more beneficial for my arms than CMA type conditioning was, even martially speaking, which makes sense when you consider that the research suggests that loads, not impacts, contribute to stronger bones. Plus, developing the arms for fighting, even in kung fu, is about more than having impact-resistant hands and forearms, its about being able to bridge limb to limb without collapsing in all sorts of different ways.
    Last edited by Permalost; 3/03/2016 12:56pm at .

Style
    BJJ - Blue Belt
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaks Softly View Post
    Dude. look at what a boxer or an MMA person does to condition themselves to getting hit in the body and the legs.

That's iron body.
    This.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the late 1970's and early 1980's,
    I loved watching Black Belt theater on Channel 48 Philadelphia on Saturday mornings.
    They would occasionally play a Shaw brothers movie called "5 Deadly Venoms".
    It was a very entertaining Kung Fu movie for its time.
    Toad style in that movie was the Iron Body style.
    As entertaining as it was, I suspect that there are very serious limits and sometimes long term costs for trying to over-condition our anatomy.
    I tell all my wrestlers to neck bridge, and tell them all to get their legs and core good and strong.
    But even the strongest neck can still get hurt if we overdo it.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51173

tl;dr

Many of the more superhuman claims are false, but it is a form of conditioning like many other types of training.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a modicum of truth. Search for Wolff's Law. The short and skinny of which is that microfractures will heal into denser and/or stronger bones, in some circumstances.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    There is a modicum of truth. Search for Wolff's Law. The short and skinny of which is that microfractures will heal into denser and/or stronger bones, in some circumstances.
    That is the carrot.
    Unfortunately, the stick is a lot of people in their forties who did such training in their younger years pay a heavy price for it.
    Arthritic hands, slowly progressing avascular necrosis of the bones, soft tissue tears, nerve damage, herniations, untreated entrapped ulnar nerves leading to irreversible wasting syndrome in the arm, etc.
    Every medicine a poison in the wrong dose.
    And many people are lousy at self-dosing anything.

Style
    BJJ - Blue Belt
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    That is the carrot.
    Unfortunately, the stick is a lot of people in their forties who did such training in their younger years pay a heavy price for it.
    Arthritic hands, slowly progressing avascular necrosis of the bones, soft tissue tears, nerve damage, herniations, untreated entrapped ulnar nerves leading to irreversible wasting syndrome in the arm, etc.
    Every medicine a poison in the wrong dose.
    And many people are lousy at self-dosing anything.
    True. Moderation is the key. Have to be careful. I'm in my 40's and don't have arthritis but I did some, some, iron body training. However, I would read articles on guys that do that iron fist stuff, and look closely at their hands, and be like WTF?! There's a price to pay for all that ****. I didn't want to pay too high of a price and I'm glad I got what I got.

And when I say iron body, it's really no different from what a boxer does to toughen his body.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything has a price. Yes, if you're taking advantage of said skeletal remodeling, you should understand that you are deliberately changing the way your body naturally works.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I would be more worried about the density of the stuff covering the bones than the bones themselves.
    A nice layer of muscle is going to go much further for keeping you protected than dense bones.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I would be more worried about the density of the stuff covering the bones than the bones themselves.
    A nice layer of muscle is going to go much further for keeping you protected than dense bones.
    You need both, actually.

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last