Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post
    Last but not least: Why does an American MA school certify through the Korea Judo Association? (see http://maccjudotkd.com/about_us)

Oh well, maybe because it is the Korea Judo Association in USA!, which has a bunch of high-dan ranked people (including 10th Dan) that does not appear on either Kodokan or IJF sources.

The page hasn't been updated in a while (2012) and the names of the current committee mentioned on the IJF website do not seem to have anything to do with our Korean-American friends (https://www.ijf.org/country/kor/committee). A proper KJA website is not available, only the postal address and an email: [email protected]

On the other hand, there seem to have been some (back-then) legit officials involved, though. Overall, I'd judge it as "not IJF-approved and therefore not worth a ****"/back-rubbing in a typical Korean fashion, i.e. throwing grades all around (most of them have high Taekwondo-Grades as well).

Well, Koreans may do whatever they want in TKD, but regarding Judo, it is not how it works. These ranks are not legit in any common sense and within Judo standards.

Apparently, the youngest 9th Dan is another Korean residing in the USA, having been promoted in 2000 at the age of 65: Kyu Ha Kim (see e.g. http://media.usja.net/growing-judo/G...do-2014.05.pdf). Problem being: This source basically cites his own website. I haven't been able to verify this by any independent source that it is acknowledged by the IJF.

Aside: The US Kodokan Committee (affiliated with the USJA) lists 42 as a minimum age for hachidan: https://uskodokancommittee.com/rank-requirements/ - strange times when lower level governing bodies straightout contradict the rules of what they are member of.
    Similar to the Taekwondo system that the Koreans are on is a parallel Judo system.

It's entirely a for-profit set up as far as I know.

All the fees a membership stuff goes back to Korea or is split between the Korean in the US and the KJ or whatever it's called.

It doesn't mean that the Koreans are teaching Judo aren't good at Judo or can't teach Judo it's just that it's not in the same thing as the not-for-profit Judo system in the US.

IJF doesn't have any legal control over rank the only people they can control our members of the ijf and that whole system.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Similar to the Taekwondo system that the Koreans are on is a parallel Judo system.

It's entirely a for-profit set up as far as I know.

All the fees a membership stuff goes back to Korea or is split between the Korean in the US and the KJ or whatever it's called.

It doesn't mean that the Koreans are teaching Judo aren't good at Judo or can't teach Judo it's just that it's not in the same thing as the not-for-profit Judo system in the US.

IJF doesn't have any legal control over rank the only people they can control our members of the ijf and that whole system.
    Never wanted to claim that the skills of these people are not good, nor that they aren't good coaches. Just that their ranks are questionable considering international standards, as some seem to be in the US. I found a number of criticisms of the ranking practices regarding 8th+, not internationally recognized, ranks during my short internet search.

I have to point out that they insist on referring to themselves as "recognized member of the IJF", though (see e.g. here). As such, the whole thing becomes somewhat messy from shichidan on.

Here (Germany), where Judo is quite huge, there are quite a number of World Champions and Olympic Gold Medalists that already trained a number of international medalists - 7 have been promoted to Kudan, none of them (afaik) is internationally acknowledged as being ranked higher than Hachidan.
    Last edited by Falenay; 9/23/2017 2:30pm at .

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post
    Never wanted to claim that the skills of these people are not good, nor that they aren't good coaches. Just that their ranks are questionable considering international standards, as some seem to be in the US. I found a number of criticisms of the ranking practices regarding 8th+, not internationally recognized, ranks during my short internet search.

I have to point out that they insist on referring to themselves as "recognized member of the IJF", though (see e.g. here). As such, the whole thing becomes somewhat messy from shichidan on.

Here (Germany), where Judo is quite huge, there are quite a number of World Champions and Olympic Gold Medalists that already trained a number of international medalists - 7 have been promoted to Kudan, none of them (afaik) is internationally acknowledged as being ranked higher than Hachidan.
    The language gets tricky their high rank granted in Korea may be recognized as such but it isn't ijf awarded rank that is a distinct but often missed difference.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 3 of 3 First 123