Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2004 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Theodore Roosevelt quoted on criticism of the President

The idea that criticizing the President is somehow not patriotic is wrong and I'm glad to have Theodore Roosevelt to back me up.

"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

Couple this quote with Hermann Goring's below. I wish this kind of thing was taught in High School civics and social study classes instead of the crap that my kids seem to get force fed.

"Why of course the people don't want war....But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship....All you have to do is tell them they're being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 5/15/2004 9:15am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez