Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Kung fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kung fu "Master"?

Anyone happen to catch the (fucking awful) syfy show "town of the living dead"? It was a reality show following a group of people making a low budget zombie film in a small town, etc...anyway, there is a local kung fu "master" called in to help with fight scenes, and I was curious as to the opinions of real martial artists. He calls himself "Master Ferrell", claims to be a grandmaster of shaolin kung fu, and has apparently "trained since I (he) was two"....

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Movie/Stunt Fighting and Actual Fighting are two different skill sets.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_B_Stone View Post
    grandmaster of shaolin kung fu
    This tends to be enough for me to say "what eves"
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone happen to catch the (fucking awful) syfy show "town of the living dead"? It was a reality show following a group of people making a low budget zombie film in a small town, etc...anyway, there is a local kung fu "master" called in to help with fight scenes, and I was curious as to the opinions of real martial artists. He calls himself "Master Ferrell", claims to be a grandmaster of shaolin kung fu, and has apparently "trained since I (he) was two"....
    Do you have his full name? And the name of the small town?

Style
    Kung fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, sorry about that. His name is Artie Ferrell, the town is Jasper, AL. I mentioned the show bc of his demonstrations of "shaolin kung fu"...I've done Google searches and can't find any info on him, where he got the "grandmaster" status, or really anything at all.

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His facebook page says that he does Karate and Kung Fu and refers to himself as Master as opposed to Grandmaster.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maste...02897159884463

He breaks boards and waves swords so must be legit IMO.

and OMG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jesper.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	17004

This guy is badass
    Last edited by PDA; 1/26/2016 10:52am at .
    King without a crown

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, sorry about that. His name is Artie Ferrell, the town is Jasper, AL. I mentioned the show bc of his demonstrations of "shaolin kung fu"...I've done Google searches and can't find any info on him, where he got the "grandmaster" status, or really anything at all.
    So lets say 50-60 years ago, there was a Shaolin Kung Fu master palling around AL and Artie's parents are like hey you know what would be great?
    If you started teaching our son this kung fu stuff.
    Now lets not mention that Kung Fu didn't even come on to tv till 1972 (44 years ago).
    Although in fairness maybe they enjoyed the Green Hornet 1966.
    No but seriously this **** is always hilarious to me.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Kung fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems like he uses the terms "kung fu" and "karate" interchangably...the sign and fbook both day master, but he has taken to calling himself grandmaster lately. Full disclosure: I went there for 2 classes when I was too young to know better, never signed a contract and never went back.
    I heard a bunch of good stories from him about training at the shaolin temple, meeting bruce lee, chi power, etc...all the usual stuff. Anyway, just thought he belonged here on bullshido. Thanks for replying, everybody.

Style
    Kung fu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, one more post and I'm done. I checked his personal fbook page for any info about his GM status. The only thing it says is that he has been a "grandmaster" since 1956...when he was 6 years old. Sounds reasonable enough to me...

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does a two year old exactly train>

Page 1 of 2 12 Last