Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... Last

Hell yeah! Hell no!

How about that digital piracy?

https://torrentfreak.com/movie-pirat...tences-151213/

Five men are facing the prospect of many years behind bars when they stand off against Hollywood in court tomorrow. TorrentFreak has learned that an aggressive private prosecution by the Federation Against Copyright Theft will allege that the men's actions placed more than £52,000,000 in studio revenues "at risk".

Can someone explain to me how fucking with the copyright system should ever merit an attempt to put the brakes on somebody's life? Unfettered piracy surely must wreck varying degrees of havoc on a company's business, but how this kind of of shakedown can feel moral or justified when companies like Time Warner are running circles around the tax code is enough to make one's stomach lurch.

A part of me just wants to swear off anything Hollywood or RIAA or MPAA-related on principle. Another part of me just wants to go to war and embark on a life of publishing studio emails under an alter-ego as North Korean hacker mastermind playboy, Unsafe Hex. How do you folks come to terms with this stuff?
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 12/15/2015 2:46am at .

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you not read the warning on your movies?? Piracy is not a victimless crime!! How can one expect time warner to exist on mere billions?? It's not fair that piracy causes these respectable people to only be able to afford gold plated yachts when they really want platinum. It's not like the government is playing as a private police force for a few one percenters.

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just so I understand you both, theft is OK so long as the victim is a big corporation?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope. But then again theft isn't ok when it's done BY the big corporation either and yet somehow they still get away with it. I think equal effort should be put into both. Why are there no giant task forces to investigate corporations?? Why is it CEOs and bankers don't get charged when they violate the law?? The law is fine with going after video pirates with fucking swat teams, but they don't even arrest CEOs.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Just so I understand you both, theft is OK so long as the victim is a big corporation?
    Its Copy right infringement not theft.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    There is good cause to make the distinction the same way we parse out various forms of actual theft.

Intellectual Property is very unique product and we treat it very differently than say real property.

Is IP Piracy immoral? One can certainly make that argument, but is it the same as out right theft?
    For me that comes down to if one is profiting off of infringement of IP or not.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is good cause to make the distinction the same way we parse out various forms of actual theft.

Intellectual Property is very unique product and we treat it very differently than say real property.

Is IP Piracy immoral? One can certainly make that argument, but is it the same as out right theft?
    For me that comes down to if one is profiting off of infringement of IP or not.
    Even with digital property it's still theft IMO. It's still a product that has a price that is being stolen. I have zero problem with people who steal getting in trouble for it. But for it to be "justice" the punishment should fit the crime. When some kid pirates music maybe he should get a 2 month ban from the Internet. What he shouldn't get is a swat like raid with a fine of thousands and jail time. Especially when the CEOs of the music industry do far worse and get ZERO jail time.

Style
    Kendo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah. That's the kind of *****-footing around with the issue that lets people rationalize it to themselves. Morally, it's theft.

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a hypocrite when it comes to this.

If you pirate games than you really hurting the developer because the vast majority of the money they make comes from sales of the game. They do make money in the licensing of the game for things like posters, t-shirts, etc., but they really depend on sales to make a profit.

The same is true for movies. The production company depends on ticket sales for profit and theaters depend on ticket sales so they can earn on concession sales.

Just about everything else...books, music, software...the artists and the company that represents them make money through so many other avenues that they are not likely to miss what they lose in actual product sales.

So I'm a hypocrite...when it comes to movies and games than I feel it's wrong....everything else, **** it.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Even with digital property it's still theft IMO. It's still a product that has a price that is being stolen. I have zero problem with people who steal getting in trouble for it. But for it to be "justice" the punishment should fit the crime. When some kid pirates music maybe he should get a 2 month ban from the Internet. What he shouldn't get is a swat like raid with a fine of thousands and jail time. Especially when the CEOs of the music industry do far worse and get ZERO jail time.
    Its not really the same thing at all. If I steal a Car, that car is gone, the proper owner of it no longer has it.
    If I download a movie that I was never going to pay for to begin with nothing is taken.
    Is it wrong? Yes
    Is it the same thing as theft? **** no

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... Last