Page 60 of 60 First ... 10505657585960

Style
    Bjj, Muay Thai, MMA (SBG)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The truly amazing thing about Bujinkan institutions is how they don't tend to spar with decent contact yet are so proficient at inducing severe brain damage in so many of their students...

Kim and others here who escaped the Booj with their cognitive functions intact should be relieved.
    Last edited by Aka-Tora; 1/26/2017 7:50am at .

Style
    Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    You are terrible, even if you donít know it.

Letís hit this right off the bat, this article applies to you. Unless you are a Professional MMA fighter in a top level promotion, an Olympic Level Judo-ka, or equivalent this article applies to you.
    Okay, I used to live in the dojo. i got up in the morning, exercised, ran and then practiced. I put in four or more hours a day, seven days a week training on my martial art. I lifted weights, ran some more, and trained with my sensei as well as in different styles and even boxing. It still did not take me to the top of ranked fighters of my day. I made one heck of a good teacher but as a fighter I sucked. You should add "and have an innate ability for martial arts" because without it you will never reach the top. I can say, however, I have had my backside kicked by some of the best. There is a certain fame in that. Isn't there? Oh please let that be so because otherwise it was nearly 50 years wasted.

I created a three tier system for understanding your place in any occupation or skill. Tier 1 -- You will never get it and no matter how hard you try you will not get it. Tier 2 -- You can sort of get it with lots and lots of work but it will never be instinctive nor will you be labeled one of the best at that skill. Tier 3 -- You get it and will know you get it almost at once. Like a Joe Lewis you will earn multiple black belts in a year and be one of the greatest of all time. If you are a computer programmer you learn new languages in days instead of months. If you do GIS you will have learned it after 15 minutes of tinkering with the program. I fell into Tier 2 of martial arts. I worked hard, got passably good but would never be confused with Chuck Norris. I didn't just suck I sucked really good.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by onclewillie View Post
    Okay, I used to live in the dojo. i got up in the morning, exercised, ran and then practiced. I put in four or more hours a day, seven days a week training on my martial art. I lifted weights, ran some more, and trained with my sensei as well as in different styles and even boxing. It still did not take me to the top of ranked fighters of my day. I made one heck of a good teacher but as a fighter I sucked. You should add "and have an innate ability for martial arts" because without it you will never reach the top. I can say, however, I have had my backside kicked by some of the best. There is a certain fame in that. Isn't there? Oh please let that be so because otherwise it was nearly 50 years wasted.

I created a three tier system for understanding your place in any occupation or skill. Tier 1 -- You will never get it and no matter how hard you try you will not get it. Tier 2 -- You can sort of get it with lots and lots of work but it will never be instinctive nor will you be labeled one of the best at that skill. Tier 3 -- You get it and will know you get it almost at once. Like a Joe Lewis you will earn multiple black belts in a year and be one of the greatest of all time. If you are a computer programmer you learn new languages in days instead of months. If you do GIS you will have learned it after 15 minutes of tinkering with the program. I fell into Tier 2 of martial arts. I worked hard, got passably good but would never be confused with Chuck Norris. I didn't just suck I sucked really good.
    You know what would make this post better?
    Competition footage

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pretty much learned everything pretty quickly. I would become completely obsessed with a new art....washed my GI every night and then would stare at it for hours, you know the drill. Boxing came easily to me. I would compete, do well and then move into teaching. I was always one of the best in the class.

I did this with about 8 different martial arts. After 2 years of Kali I was almost always dominating sparring, even against the instructors.

Today, people ask if I ever fought professionally. I say no, but I can tell you how I would do. I would get my ass kicked by anyone who fought in the UFC, including the losers. I would have fought in lower tier organizations, maybe the bar you drink at on the weekends.

And if lucky I would have been a 500 fighter. Don't even get me started about D 1 All American wrestlers.

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by preschol View Post
    I pretty much learned everything pretty quickly. I would become completely obsessed with a new art....washed my GI every night and then would stare at it for hours, you know the drill. Boxing came easily to me. I would compete, do well and then move into teaching. I was always one of the best in the class.I did this with about 8 different martial arts. After 2 years of Kali I was almost always dominating sparring, even against the instructors.Today, people ask if I ever fought professionally. I say no, but I can tell you how I would do. I would get my ass kicked by anyone who fought in the UFC, including the losers. I would have fought in lower tier organizations, maybe the bar you drink at on the weekends. And if lucky I would have been a 500 fighter. Don't even get me started about D 1 All American wrestlers.
    Well hopefully you keep challenging black belts so we get to see you fight one day.
    King without a crown

Page 60 of 60 First ... 10505657585960