Page 41 of 60 First ... 3137383940414243444551 ... Last

Style
    Khan-ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Not sure what you are writing about. You talking karate ? Koryu arts used kata quite a bit, if not almost exclusively, as a training methods. They still do.

The shin-budo/jutsu are the ones that focused more on randori-type training and competition. Judo for example
    I'm not sure which one it was something I had seen when doing some research on kata work. Just remember it saying Japanese kata use. And a chart indicating use

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Yes, there seems to be more cross training, both ways. I honestly think the rivalry that exists in the minds of many grapplers is completely ridiculous. And I've seen it in every grappling style.

In every style there are guys who see things clearly and guys who are just knuckle dragging asshats. It's the asshats that tend to stick in your mind, unfortunately.

Wrestlers, judoka, BJJ practitioners, etc....should just kick each others' asses and become monsters together.
    People get identified with whatever they have put a lot of time, effort, money, and body-parts into. Martial arts are the same. It's comfortable to think you are billy-badass because of your training in XYZ MA. Getting comfortable is the problem, though, not the solution.

It gets back to something we have discussed before, not getting your ass kicked enough while coming up in a MA/combat sport. I've had my ass kicked, and not just mildly, either. So when I went to BJJ as pretty much out of shape 53 year old 3rd degree black belt in Judo, recovering from a stupid back injury, I was not surprised to get my ass kicked, over and over again. Because I'd been there and done that when I was a 25 year old kick ass and take names kinda guy.

Does it bother me having my ass kicked, and finding out that there is stuff I (heaven forbid) don't know about grappling, or could do better? Yes, to some degree, but that's part of the training too...being uncomfortable. And in effect, I expect to be uncomfortable, to be shown I have a lot to learn and a lot to get better at executing, and to realize I'm almost 54 years old and regardless, I'm not going to be able to keep up that well with guys 25-30 years younger than me as well as I might want to.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksennin View Post
    I sometimes think many elements are worse than worthless, being instead damaging by teaching completely wrong techniques or deluded strategies. So they have negative worth.

For example, in all my decades of karate, training under well-regarded teachers and being part of the national competition team, I have yet to ever see any fighter use successfully a yoko-uke block against a punch. Even in basic drills or bunkai, when you know what punch is coming and you have all the forewarning needed, the damn thing is uncomfortable to implement and being an a$$h*le I make a point of landing the punches on people despite their trying to use it. I tend to think the whole move is not really a block at all but a misremembered/misapplied arm twist to release a wrist grab or other basic initial arm hold. So all the damn people learning that in drills and kata are memorizing something that not only does not work, but actually moves the arm away from covering yourself, so it is worse than huddling in fear.
    Yes. Exactly. Negative worth.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgway View Post
    I'm not sure which one it was something I had seen when doing some research on kata work. Just remember it saying Japanese kata use. And a chart indicating use
    Kata were the primary training method for Japanese martial arts, during the 1800s for sure (after the unification of Japan under the Tokugawa Shogunate). I'm not sure what your source was talking about, but it wasn't talking accurately about Japanese martial arts/ways.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. Exactly. Negative worth.
    There are a lot of other training practices that have negative worth, as well. Kata doesn't even begin to scratch the surface...

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People get identified with whatever they have put a lot of time, effort, money, and body-parts into. Martial arts are the same. It's comfortable to think you are billy-badass because of your training in XYZ MA. Getting comfortable is the problem, though, not the solution.

It gets back to something we have discussed before, not getting your ass kicked enough while coming up in a MA/combat sport. I've had my ass kicked, and not just mildly, either. So when I went to BJJ as pretty much out of shape 53 year old 3rd degree black belt in Judo, recovering from a stupid back injury, I was not surprised to get my ass kicked, over and over again. Because I'd been there and done that when I was a 25 year old kick ass and take names kinda guy.

Does it bother me having my ass kicked, and finding out that there is stuff I (heaven forbid) don't know about grappling, or could do better? Yes, to some degree, but that's part of the training too...being uncomfortable. And in effect, I expect to be uncomfortable, to be shown I have a lot to learn and a lot to get better at executing, and to realize I'm almost 54 years old and regardless, I'm not going to be able to keep up that well with guys 25-30 years younger than me as well as I might want to.
    See, I think that's exactly what the martial arts are all about. That self-awareness. That is worthy of respect. That is the enlightenment that every pimply faced teenager in pajamas is looking for. But you've earned it by testing yourself and yes, making yourself uncomfortable. I think that's what it's all about.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a lot of other training practices that have negative worth, as well. Kata doesn't even begin to scratch the surface...
    True.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, I think that's exactly what the martial arts are all about. That self-awareness. That is worthy of respect. That is the enlightenment that every pimply faced teenager in pajamas is looking for. But you've earned it by testing yourself and yes, making yourself uncomfortable. I think that's what it's all about.
    Right, and that's what the b-word is about. You know, budo...

But of course budo gets all pussified, as HM would write, and it's usually a lot of glorified jazzercise with no music...

Style
    Khan-ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kata were the primary training method for Japanese martial arts, during the 1800s for sure (after the unification of Japan under the Tokugawa Shogunate). I'm not sure what your source was talking about, but it wasn't talking accurately about Japanese martial arts/ways.
    Thank you for your feedback. Most helpful

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn
    I was only trying to troll the new karate man.
    YMAS has changed .
    King without a crown

Page 41 of 60 First ... 3137383940414243444551 ... Last