Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... Last
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Five Hard Truths about Martial Arts that you donít want to believe.

You are terrible, even if you donít know it.

Letís hit this right off the bat, this article applies to you. Unless you are a Professional MMA fighter in a top level promotion, an Olympic Level Judo-ka, or equivalent this article applies to you. Itís safe to say you arenít any of those things, because people like that donít waste precious training time reading stupid **** on Internet Forums, but we will get to that in the next section. Now that we established an audience, you, yes you reading this, suck at Martial Arts. I know, you have over 10 years of experience, have some crazy (possibly made up or exaggerated) street situation where you proved your martial prowess or teach Martial Arts Professionally. It doesnít matter and it is ok, for most of us this is a hobby, something we do in our spare time. And for you that teach full time for a living, not everyone that does something for a living is considered an expert or authority in their field. The issue is very few people see what it is to be good at Martial Arts. I have trained with numerous instructors of multiple different disciplines, and after 15 years of training and multiple black belts I can get the better of them or make them work for it. And at the end of the session, they must think Iím pretty good, but in reality I just know they suck just as bad as I do. I know I suck because when I roll with a Mundial Champion, or Randori with a National Level Judo-ka I get ragdolled and it turns into a exercise in survival. This is equivalent to being a College Senior. High School Freshman look at you as a knowledgeable highly educated figure in your field. However, the real experts in the field see you as just a beginner that doesnít know anything but has potential. People reading this article, fall between High School Freshman (beginners/White Belts) and College Seniors (You or your instructor). But the true expert in hand to hand combat see you all as you really are. Terrible. Now you ask, how do I start being good? WellÖ.

Getting good at Martial Arts takes far more work than you are putting in

I think itís crazy that people think they can get good at a skill they are putting so little time into. Take your career, Letís assume you are a doctor. You go to undergrad for 4 years, 4 years of Med School, then another 3-7 years of residency before you considered a full doctor. Assuming a standard 40-hour week (I know doctors work more than that) That is over 22,000 hours of time training, studying, learning and practicing. That doesnít include the continuous learning and improving on the job. Now, after work you decide to try Martial Arts and want to be good, so you go into it hardcore and do 3 1.5 hour classes a week. At 4.5 hours a week, using the same calculation, it would take you nearly 100 years. If you are immortal that is awesome, go for it. If you one of us mere mortals, youíll need to spend more time on the mat. The fact is the people that are good and can fight at the level you want train full time, 8 hours a day, technique, strength and conditioning. Now, if supporting yourself and your family is your priority and not training, like most of us, youíll just have to accept you will never be good. You may be good enough, to be happy with your skill, and that is ok. But youíll never be on the level of the elite.

You are out of shape, and no amount of technique will make up for your poor diet

Do you know who loses a fight? The first person that gets tired. How do you feel after a 5 minute sparring round? Are you exhausted 3 mins into it? How many rounds can you do, can you go hard for 5 minutes, get a fresh partner and keep going? At 30 minutes do you need a break? So yeah, you are out of shape. Part of it is your Strength and Conditioning regimen (we will get to that) but most likely you have a shitty diet. How many calories is your Martial Arts workout burning? If you arenít even sparring in training itís probably not nearly as much as you think. How many calories are you eating after training, ití probably more than you think. This is why a lot of Black Belt instructors are overweight. With 20 years of poor diet, and getting less exercise than they think your instructor is now in their 40s and overweight. Yes after 20 years, they have some skills they can show you, but donít expect them to do 10 5 minute rounds against opponents that are pushing the pace, they will be lucky to do 2 rounds and they usually against people far less skilled so they donít need to tap into the non-existent cardio. At this point, I donít care how good your technique is or most likely, how good you think it is. Once you get tired, or that tight sharp technique gets sloppy. Hands drop from the head to the chest, elbows come away from the body and your sprawls behind a second too late.

This is where the CCW carriers talk about their concealed pistol. You know what is important in shooting accurately? Breath Control. Even if you are awesome at the range, have you even tried to do wind sprints, then try to do shoot? I watched a ďCCW expertĒ get so tired that he missed 10 out of 10 shots on a target 15 yards away and then grabbed his pocket knife instead of his spare magazine and tried to jam it in his magazine well. This is assuming you can get to your weapon at all times and your mass and lack of flexibility doesnít pin your pistol between you and your seat.

Size and Strength matter

Now that we addressed that you are fat and out of shape. The next bombshell is that you are weaker than you think. And the end of the day your technique is going to be as good as you can apply them. Yes, technique come first, but strength and power follows technique. Unless you are putting in the hours I described above (you arenít) your technique isnít going to be perfect. So when are fighting someone, how long will your muscles last till they burn out. When you are trying to finish a choke, how long till your arms give, when you are boxing, how long till you strikes have little power behind them. Just because you have the strength for the first minute, doesnít mean you can continue the rest of the round, or the next 4 rounds. Once you canít put any power behind your throws, strikes or joint locks, your technique really doesnít matter.

To learn to fight, you need to fightÖ.a lot

If you arenít sparring for at least 30 minutes every training session, then start. It is the only way to polish your techniques to the point they are usable against some trying to attack you. If you come from a school where you learning techniques that are too dangerous to spar with, then stop reading, you are too fucking stupid for this article. Go find a site where you can join people who think natural oils cure cancer or vaccines cause autism and all you morons can be together. For the rest of us, to learn to fight you need to fight. Choose whichever ruleset you want and go for it. The rules are there to allow you work on technique against a fully resisting opponent trying to do the same to you without getting injured so you can do it again next round, and then again the next day. Swimmers swim, Lifters Lift, and Fighters Fight. If you want to play the ďIím a Martial Artist not a FighterĒ card you can, but let me leave you with this, you can be a Fighter without being a Martial Artist, but you canít be a Martial Artist without being a Fighter.
    Last edited by plasma; 12/02/2015 9:57am at .

Style
    MMA BJJ TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is all common sense though.....

I'm in a **** mood. Ignore me.
    Last edited by plasma; 12/02/2015 7:52am at . Reason: Posts Merged

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, well uh you rely on the Forer effect and confirmation bias. And you're mean. And you're not invited to my birthday.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But Offensive Combat Tactics and Real World Defense Systems and Silats and Kalis and Straightblasts and Punch Daggers and Tactical Motorchairs. You are not focusing on the spiritual and mental side of Martial Arts. You are obsessed with proving yourself young one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    ďI don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.Ē
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The fact is the people that are good and can fight at the level you want train full time, 8 hours a day, technique, strength and conditioning"

Without steroids that's not possible. Otherwise youre counting just being "in" the gym as training.
    4.5 hours a day 4-5 days a week is about the maximum unless you're just an absolute physical anomaly and you would still probably end up with mental fatigue after not long.
    If youre counting Spending you're time not "training" reading technical books or watching instructionals, and breaking down fights as training than that changes thing a bit. Making you're body able and your mind ready is good training. It's why people watch game tape. I would also add time in for meditation/restoritive yoga.

Chael Sonnen comments on this as too why he laughs when he hears someone say they are a "full time fighter". Granted he was never the absolute best but, he's really good (top 3 for years). He says it takes about 4 hours a day. He ran for public office, was a mortgage broker/real estate guy, owns a pizza shop, gym and worked as commetator.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice, some good stuff.

The thing that coaches who are looking for elite-track athletes look for the most is the will and ability to work...your ass off. All the talent in the world won't be enough without the ability and will to do the work.

In fact, that's a key factor in life in general, getting a job, having a family, being successful.

Knowing you suck is important, it provides motivation to get better. Going and being able to train with elite level athletes is a huge eye opener for an athlete with an open mind. One of my students has gotten to do that over the past 2-3 years and although I think it was discouraging for him at one level, on the another, it gives a huge dose of reality.

I got to train with elite and former elite level athletes early in my judo career, and that was of benefit to me technically and mentally. Technically, I developed better habits, and mentally, I realized that no matter how hard I trained, I wasn't going to make it to that level, especially after a serious injury I had (was still a long shot even uninjured). Mentally, I realized that although I was not going to be an elite level judoka, I could be a very good judoka, earn black belt(s), and be successful at a lower tier of Judo. And that was still difficult and challenging and highly beneficial to me as a human being.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conditioning...absolutely king. In fact, without it, you can't do the process that ends at the technique and hopefully the "win". What I see in the professional level judo these days, even at my level of coaching/teaching, and at the coach training level, is the premium on developing the fundamentals of athleticism from a young age, really, over "technique" training. Because without the strong, flexible, agile, fast, kinaestically aware body, getting beyond hobby level just isn't going to happen.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also like to note Chael says that while being and I quote Mr Sonnen, "having more juice inside him than Jamba."

The real reason you are mediocre at martial arts ? You werent ever going to be that good. You have shitty genes and you're a *****. You're frame sucks or your not that strong(strength to weight ratio) or you're slow or your mind is weak or you don't have a zombie mode(Chris leben would be an excellent example of zombie mode) or all of them.
    Such is life. fighters make **** money anyway unless you are the best of the best in certain sports and you are marketable. If you make a 100k a year you are making more than 99% of pro fighters on the planet. That's most of the guys on the main card of the UFC broadcast.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I would also like to note Chael says that while being and I quote Mr Sonnen, "having more juice inside him than Jamba."

The real reason you are mediocre at martial arts ? You werent ever going to be that good. You have shitty genes and you're a *****. You're frame sucks or your not that strong(strength to weight ratio) or you're slow or your mind is weak or you don't have a zombie mode(Chris leben would be an excellent example of zombie mode) or all of them.
    Such is life. fighters make **** money anyway unless you are the best of the best in certain sports and you are marketable. If you make a 100k a year you are making more than 99% of pro fighters on the planet. That's most of the guys on the main card of the UFC broadcast.
    Shitty genes and a *****, LOL! That doesn't mean such a person can't get better, though. MA isn't any different than any other serious athletic endeavor in that sense.

It's like dreaming of being a pro_(fill in blank for popular mainstream sport). Tiny percentage get there and be successful, even moderately.

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spot on, sir.

Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... Last