Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,247
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Survey: What ruleset do you traditionally use while training?

    For Bullshido's grapplers, when you are training at your dojo/academy what ruleset do you generally agree upon for rounds?

    • IJF
    • IJF Pre-2009
    • IBJJF
    • IBJJF - At your Belt Level Only
    • NAGA No-Gi / Submission Wrestling
    • SAMBO
    • Some sure of Hybrid Ruleset
    • Folkstyle Wrestling
    • Combat Submission Wrestling / Catch Wrestling
    • Freestyle Wrestling
    • Greco Roman Wrestling


    For me:

    When I am wearing a Gi I use IJF Pre-2009 when working Takedowns only and IBJJF when including Ground Work. For the IJF rules, I use the Pre-2009 rules that allow leg attacks, but as I don't compete Judo anymore I tend to ignore the strict gripping rules. For IBJJF, I don't stick to Purple Belt only submissions, I included Brown and Belt submissions such as Kneebars and Toe Holds.

    When I am doing No-Gi I use NAGA No-Gi rules, which means Flying scissors takedowns, All Leg Entanglements, Heel Hooks and Neck/Spine Cracks are ok.

  2. #2
    solves problems with violence supporting member
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,114
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we're a USA judo/USJF dojo and we stick with current IJF rules for the most part other than gi regulations (and no one is there calling shidos in randori other than the occasional "hey, watch that <insert foul> in competition, it'll get you a shido" comment from the sides.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

  3. #3
    1point2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,393
    Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At BJJ in the gi roughly IBJJF, but I don't respect belt level restrictions on submissions (I know what a kneebar is, let's be real here) and sometimes I want to play around with knee reaping. Without the gi it's...the same, really.

    I don't play judo much these days but it's basically IJF circa 2009.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

  4. #4
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,503
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    At BJJ in the gi roughly IBJJF, but I don't respect belt level restrictions on submissions (I know what a kneebar is, let's be real here) and sometimes I want to play around with knee reaping. Without the gi it's...the same, really.
    Basically this.

  5. #5
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No neck cranks in Gi.no twisting locks,compression locks until a few stripes on your blue and don't do them to white belts or low blues.

    Same rules apply as far as level in no gi but neck cranks are allowed at high blue belt . Once you're a high ranking blue I don't care what they do.if it's gonna be twisting locks and cranks I want it to be discussed before the match so there aren't suprise. Twisting locks and cranks **** people up too fast to not be thinking about them if one gets slapped on them and then they cant train for a while.So awareness is key with the fast hitting things.

    We also do striking with our grappling. Same rules apply. Verbal tapping when strikes are legal is encouraged. It helps stop the "He's still hitting me. CRANK HARDER! " situation from happening.

    We will do grappling only 2 on 1 and 3on 1. No leg attacks are allowed to be done to the single combatant. You don't want one person pulling their leg\ankle east and the other person pulling their shoulders west and pop goes the weasel :-(.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 10/16/2015 10:11am at .

  6. #6
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,614
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by <plasma> View Post
    For Bullshido's grapplers, when you are training at your dojo/academy what ruleset do you generally agree upon for rounds?

    • IJF
    • IJF Pre-2009
    • IBJJF
    • IBJJF - At your Belt Level Only
    • NAGA No-Gi / Submission Wrestling
    • SAMBO
    • Some sure of Hybrid Ruleset
    • Folkstyle Wrestling
    • Combat Submission Wrestling / Catch Wrestling
    • Freestyle Wrestling
    • Greco Roman Wrestling


    For me:

    When I am wearing a Gi I use IJF Pre-2009 when working Takedowns only and IBJJF when including Ground Work. For the IJF rules, I use the Pre-2009 rules that allow leg attacks, but as I don't compete Judo anymore I tend to ignore the strict gripping rules. For IBJJF, I don't stick to Purple Belt only submissions, I included Brown and Belt submissions such as Kneebars and Toe Holds.

    When I am doing No-Gi I use NAGA No-Gi rules, which means Flying scissors takedowns, All Leg Entanglements, Heel Hooks and Neck/Spine Cracks are ok.
    Current IJF, as many disagreements as I have with them, as my students compete under IJF rules at sanctioned tournaments. Like Ming Loyalist, nobody is there calling shidos and such, although in some drills I do point them out.

    I myself still do leg grabs in randori, but I don't compete anymore so who cares. It's good experience for the students.

    At BJJ, we have only done "gi" stuff, and we are not even discussing competition as it's almost all beginners. When there are higher guys, they refrain from leglocking us helpless whitebelts.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  7. #7
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,781
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I can tell we don't adhere to any particular rule set other than don't be a dick head.
    Wrist locks, compression locks, leg locks, toe holds/presses, all seem to be fine for any belt level as long as you know what your doing.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  8. #8
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,142
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    From what I can tell we don't adhere to any particular rule set other than don't be a dick head.
    Wrist locks, compression locks, leg locks, toe holds/presses, all seem to be fine for any belt level as long as you know what your doing.
    We also do this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    24
    Style
    catch-as-catch-can
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For our school we try to stick to no heel hooks (catch and release) until a year then all submissions are open. If we are getting ready for a certain rule set for competition we will use that for a month or two before hand.

    At my buddies gym that we cross train at I stick to GI rules for the gi and non competitive people. Rest of them i'll just catch and release heel hooks but use everything else.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    637
    Style
    Karate-knockdown, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine depends on what day of the week it is.

    I train Sambo 2x per week and use Sambo rules during those sessions.

    In my Judo classes, we tend to use Freestyle Judo rules with the exception that if we have a tournament coming up that is a USA Judo event. But, most of the time it is Freestyle Judo rules.

    During my BJJ classes(the only ones I teach), I use IBJJF, unless there is one of the guys training for MMA(seems to be very often these days). We use the IBJJF, eve though we have been going to sub-only tournaments more lately.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in