Administrator

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 1:41pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC making it bad

Tim Sylvia is ready to defend his title one more time. The question that boggles the mind is why? A brief history of the UFC heavyweight title leaves most of us asking why hasnít Tim Sylvia been stripped of his title?
    In March 2002, Josh Barnett stunned and upset UFC fans by beating, then Heavyweight Champ, Randy Couture. Later it was found that Barnett was using steroids which are illegal to use in most modern sporting events. Barnett was stripped of the title and suspended for a year.
    Jump to a year and a half in the future and now Tim Sylvia is caught using steroids. His case? He was simply using them to look better on television. The puke bucket is on your left. Let us say we believe him this time. Let us jump forward to his fight a few months ago against Andrei Arlovski. Tim Sylvia failed his test a second time. The difference between Barnett and Sylvia? Sylvia was the champ. Bottom line is, though, he used steroids or rather was caught using them.
    Is he stripped of the title? No. He is simply given time to flush them from his system so he can make the UFC some money by fighting Frank Mir.
    From MMA Weekly
    For those people worried about Tim Sylvia fighting Frank Mir at UFC 48, in light of what happened with tests at UFC 47, won't have to worry about it this time around.
    Tim Sylvia has provided the Nevada State Athletic Commission with a clean drug test and is no longer suspended.
    Sylvia's camp had been claiming since early April that he passed a steroid test, but until recently the NSAC hadn't received those test results.
    Now a spokesperson for the NSAC told MMAWeekly, "Tim Sylvia has indeed turned in an acceptable anabolic steroid test and has been taken off the federal suspension list."
    With this finally behind him, Sylvia will now focus his attention to June 19th, as he is scheduled to face Frank Mir for the vacant UFC Heavyweight Title at UFC 48 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Most promoters are trying to let the public know that the sport of MMA is just as viable as boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling yet it looks like theyíre going down the same path. I like Tim Sylvia both as a fighter and as a person but he should be stripped of his title. Itís called justice. Justice is blind. You break the rules you pay the penalty. UFC is showing some sort of biased towards Sylvia for some reason, shame on them. If this sport is to continue into the future something needs to be done about this.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the UFC really tested every one of its fighters with the intention of finding illegal substances there wouldn't be a UFC.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 2:08pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know Peedee, I think there'd still be a UFC. I just don't like the fact they suspended and stipped Barnett and didn't do the same to Sylvia. The right thing to do is to strip the title. I'm neither here nor their with steroid thing.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, whats good for one is goof for all. Arlovski is going to own that division anyway. He's alot better than when he first started fighting. He juices too, I guarantee it. Maybe he'll be smarter than Sylvia and not get caught.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim Syliva was stripped of his title. There is no current heavyweight champion, the title is vacant.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 2:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a major problem for the UFC. 5 weight classes and with only two champions. BJ and Belfort.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 2:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for banning or suspending Sylvia I don't think any further action is necessary. His fight with McGee was in September and he wont fight again until June. That's bascially a 9 month suspension.

Offically Sylvia was stripped of the heavyweight title, fined $7,500 and suspended from fighting in Nevada (and by extension anywhere else) for four months.

Barnett's suspenion was 6 months, not a year.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 3:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other reasons why Slyvia's case isn't the same as Barnett's.

Barnett used steriods to win his title. The failed test after beating Couture was the second time he tested postive for the same substance. Sylvia tested clean when he beat Rico.

Syliva admitted his used, cooperated fully with the Nevada State Althetic Comission and vowed to make amends. Barnett denied using, challenged the test, and refused to cooperate with the NSAC at all.

Posted On:
    5/14/2004 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was suspended, he won't do it again hopefully and he's passed the test now, so he should be allowed back. They were too harsh on Barnett.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast